Right Hand Drive (RHD) in USA - Comments

My car arrived had been RHD and came with Both dash panels and steering ect had been removed ( brackets and all ) to convert this to LHD ( wanted LHD ) I had the opportunity drive several RHD"s ( the MG was the most fun as we carried a steering wheel for the LHDriver( LOL ) and when leaving a stop he would loose his steering wheel !!!! everyone stopped waiting for us to crash ) But the reason I went LHD is as Randy said and I didn't like feeling like I was going in the ditch all the time

When I ordered my SPF MKI I was adamant that it have "correct" right hand drive. I was, however, a bit nervous about driving from the "wrong side", having once had an unpleasant experience driving a RHD Miura in Chicago traffic. I spent considerable time thinking of ways to mount a "front view" mirror on the upper left of the windscreen to help see around traffic in tight passing areas. When the lead time for the RHD sill shift cars grew to three years, I ultimately "settled" for a left hand drive car. I have not regretted the decision. One of the last drives I had this past fall was through some very enjoyable hilly and twisty roads in southwest Wisconsin where visibilty was tight and the passing zones were quite short. I had lots of fun, passed many cars, and I remember thinking that it would not have been as easy or enjoyable had I been driving from the right seat.

Yup, Daryl, same thing happened to me. I found a GT40 I just couldn't say no to but it was LHD. I had wanted RHD.

The other day, anticipating an impending snow storm and knowing the twisty mountain roads would be closed to the GT40 for awhile, I made two laps of an 80 mile circuit out my door. I've been limiting myself to one to prove to myself that I still have some self control.

Anyhow, on the second lap, I got behind some recalcitrant vehicles more than once. They wouldn't pull over. A good section of the circuit is fairly narrow and doesn't have a center line. Had I been driving a RHD car, I never would have felt safe enough to pass.

I'm so tickled this car has graced me with its ownership and while a RHD car is still intriguing, I'm really thankful I have LHD.

But then, most recently, the sugar plum and I were getting ready to leave a restaurant parking lot. A guy in a truck pulled up next to the GT40 on the right as we were walking to the car. The sugar plum climbed into the passenger seat to strap in while I went over to chat with the onlooker.

The fellow in the truck had his window halfway down and he had stopped so that his door was slightly behind the GT40's passenger door. I had a nice view of the car in the window's reflection. The door was open as if inviting a driver to climb inside. When I'd glance at the car and see the sugar plum tucked down into the seat, it got me thinking that it would be really nice to feel the car from that side and see how the view is, steering wheel, dash board, and all.

On the other hand, so to speak, with LHD I think the shifter is ideally placed next to the steering wheel just so. On RHD cars, it looks to be lower and slightly further back. Is that true?

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I purchased a LHD car but wish I had gone with RHD. People have told me that the rod linkage with the sill shifter is much better than the cable linkage with LHD cars. I had Dennis Olthoff upgrade my cable linkage to make it perform better. But it's still not perfect.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Dave,

Agree with you that rod shift linkage is a more positive feel.

I wanted a LHD (wanted to feel safe driving our roads and not wanting to crawl over the shifter also safer for my wife and passengers to get in and out) but, didn't want cable shift.

LHD can be fitted with rod shift (see in SPF Forum "Upgrades to P2125")

I'm happy with the rod shift install Olthoff did (positive feel, gated plate and reverse lock out (same plate, shift pattern and throws as the RHD)

Steve P2125

Back