RIP Sir Jack Brabham

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
"Sir John Arthur "Jack" Brabham, AO, OBE (2 April 1926 – 19 May 2014) was an Australian former racing driver who was Formula One champion in 1959, 1960 and 1966. He was a founder of the Brabham racing team and race car constructor that bore his name.

Brabham was a Royal Australian Air Force flight mechanic and ran a small engineering workshop before he started racing midget cars in 1948. His successes in midgets and Australian and New Zealand road racing events led to him going to the United Kingdom to further his racing career. There he became part of the Cooper Car Company's racing team, building as well as racing cars. He contributed to the design of the mid-engined cars that Cooper introduced to Formula One and the Indianapolis 500, and won the Formula One world championship in 1959 and 1960. In 1962 he established his own Brabham marque with fellow Australian Ron Tauranac, which became the largest manufacturer of customer racing cars in the world in the 1960s. In 1966 Brabham became the first – and still the only – man to win the Formula One world championship driving one of his own cars."

From Wikipedia. A fine driver, a champion three times over, a brilliant car developer, and from all accounts, a fine man as well. RIP Black Jack.

Well, I still own my 1966 FORMULA 2 BT18. The actual stones he had to drive one and win both formula 1 and 2 titles in the SAME year. OMG
Rest in peace, the pain is over my friend.
GTJOEY1314

Sir Jack! You are now an Aussie legend!
In our hearts you now rest.
In our memories you now lay.
Two arms, two hands two swolen glands
Beneath the southern cross we stand
A cold beer in our hands
A symbol of our native land
Sir Jack you have our love
Cos you won the push and shove
You fucken beauty

God bless mate!

Last edited:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Absolute legend. I met him on the day I had my first ride in GT40 back in 1994.
Special memories of a great man.
R.I.P Jack.

I met Jack a few years ago. Good Guy, took the time to have a photo with me.

IMG_1721.JPG

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Brabham was among the oldest drivers of his day. But he said, “If you have the right approach to racing and are reasonably fit, it doesn’t matter what your age is.” He proved that in the 1966 Dutch Grand Prix, his first race after he turned 40.

He showed up wearing a long fake beard and hobbling on a cane. Other drivers went along with the gag and helped him into his car. Then he shed the beard, tossed away the cane and won the race.

NYTimes, today. They don't run many things on motor racing, which just goes to show you what he was.

Back