Road and Track on the GT40

I guess this is an example of why I am disappointed with the new Road & Track. The old editorial crew would not have let the story go to print mentioning the GT40's "massive 427 cubic inch engine" when the car they are describing is a MKI.

Ditto that. I gave up R&T some years ago...the standards have been dropping there for years. I only hung in there until the end because Peter Egan's column was always good reading.

Plus, I mean, who cares about the car review of the latest econobox from Toyota or Honda.....I mean, really.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Road & Track is just one of so many companies in the auto industry which was founded by car guys but later sold to private equity or a large corporation that is far more focused on dollars than on historical accuracy in its reporting. Road & Track is owned by Hearst Corporation. Their other magazine publications include Harper's Bazaar, Good Housekeeping, Seventeen and Cosmopolitan. While they also own Car & Driver, motorsports is not their passion. Their current Editor, Larry Webster, came from Popular Mechanics.

I read R&T religiously--in the supermarket. I pick it up, read Peter Egan's column, then put it back and go get milk and bread. :laugh:

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
What's with all those random quotes not attributed to anyone? They must have been tweets or Instagram comments they found online. Love the "American car" quote.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
"If you look at the overall silhouette of teh car, you have kind of an aerodynamic shape."

TEH???? They don't have spellcheck?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What's with all those random quotes not attributed to anyone? They must have been tweets or Instagram comments they found online. Love the "American car" quote.

That puzzled me too at first glance, but, it appears they're quoting "Mark West"...I believe...maybe...I guess. (Look at the line just above the quotes.)

'Crappy editing...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The old editorial crew would not have let the story go to print mentioning the GT40's "massive 427 cubic inch engine" when the car they are describing is a MKI.

But, are all the quotes listed in reference to the photo atop the article?

How the heck would we know?! :D

Ron Earp

Admin
I read R&T religiously--in the supermarket. I pick it up, read Peter Egan's column, then put it back and go get milk and bread. :laugh:

Yep, except for Peter is retiring from R&T, so, no reason for me to read that rag anymore. I've been disappointed with R&T for years (not Peter). I hope Peter will continue to pen the Cycle World column.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Peter Egan is the single most significant reason I have subscribed to R&T continuously for all these decades. I run a design consultancy and HATE the new random-facts layout design. Maybe it looks great on an iPad, but it really does nothing for me as a "vintage" reader.

Hearing that Peter will soon be retiring is hugely disappointing. I had a chance to talk with him briefly at Amelia Island this year at the GT40 session and he is, besides his amazing skills as a writer, a regular nice guy you'd be proud to call your friend.

Mark

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
AND he plays the guitar! an old Gibson dot-neck ES335.

The R&T GT40 article is insulting. Except that it will maybe get a few folks to look at arguably the most beautiful race car ever built. So maybe not totally worthless, but damn close to totally worthless article.

"I read R&T religiously--in the supermarket. I pick it up, read Peter Egan's column, then put it back and go get milk and bread."

WIth Rob Walker, Innes Ireland, Paul Frere and, Phil Hill long gone, Peter Egan "retiring" and Sam Posey rarely heard from, I gave up my 35+ subscription two years ago... and I haven't purchased one off the rack since.

The features that I enjoyed; Rob's articles on F1 racing, Phil on various race cars, reviews by Paul, etc. are no longer being done and the magazine is now just another Motor Trend gone bad.

Jim

Back