Road Clearance Issue

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, however there is real danger of damage, at least in my part of the world, from dropping a front wheel in a pothole or other similar depression.

Or just off the edge of the pavement.....

Note that the ARB hinges at the rear and slopes down even at static ride height. Think what will happen if it runs into a sharp edge, like the far side of a pothole. Your ARB is now a trebuchet and you are the payload...

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Guys we didn't buy a pickup truck, its a street legal race car. :)

Speaking of turtles, my very first trip out with the GT40 I was following a Toyota 4 runner and looking at the gauges we were doing about 55 on one of our country roads, he ran over the top of a big snapper that was crossing, it was impossible to stop or go around so I just hit it dead center, it rolled around under the car all the way to the back then popped out. Richard did the same with a whole dead deer but he had a little more damage than me.

I don't think there is anything we can do to solve this problem other than sell the car and buy something realist and boring.

I have a new mantra "It is what it is". This allows me to keep my blood pressure and sanity almost in check (not that I was ever sane).

I've never checked mine but if I were to guess mine would come in a little on the low side of the ride height spec. Now some day I may regret my decision not to raise the car when the front falls off from all the driveways I almost made it into but I'm not going to change a thing. I love the look, it's perfect.

We're not offroaders that need bigger pieces of road kill to take home to feed the family and I don't care if a dead deer or snapper is to tall to fit under my car. If I win the Lotto I might install the RamLift kit but then again at that point I won't care if it rubs a little (or a lot).

Maybe we should all use my latest saying DTDFSA, "Damn The Deer Full Speed Ahead".

And that's all I have to say about that.

I've shortened my end-links to the extent that they are now higher than the lowest part of the 15" rim. The idea was that if I ever experienced a front flat the link wouldn't have the ability to act as an asphalt rudder making steering interesting at best.......

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Rich, if you get a chance snap a picture of that for me. Did you have to order different hiem (spelling?) joints?

Jack, Here are the pics of what you need to do. The shallow nuts are known as jam nuts. I've got the engieering drawings for the rear lower suspension collar that I showed you at Monterey. PM me you email adress and I will send them. Regards, Rick

Attachments

• P1010292.jpg
    P1010292.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 213
  • P1010295.jpg
    P1010295.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCF2031.jpg
    DSCF2031.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCF2062.jpg
    DSCF2062.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 238

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Rick your idea's and mods are out of the box and excellent. Really enjoyed Baha Cantina time. Not sure what happen to my last post?? I drilled and put a cold roll pin in my shafts right after I got the car.

Jack

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I can answer for photo 3, its a hydraulic lifting system for going over speed bumps and up driveways. The first time I seen Ricks car was last year and it looked as if the settings where way out as the front was much higher than the rear. After we met I asked what was wrong, he opened the door and flipped a switch and the front dropped down to normal specs.

DaveM,
Photo 4 looks like a spinner knock-off tool. Handy if you want to keep the spinners. I replaced mine with 3inch nuts and use a 1inch air impact/gun. Much easier, and I will never do the spinners again! Scott

It's great that the SPF chassis replicates the original. Having only glanced at the underside of originals, I can't recall them having such low-hanging fruit, as it were. So the question remains--does the SPF model the original perfectly, or are they using too-long rod end hardware which forces the bits to hang lower than originals?

In other words, is the modification described above bringing the car in line with historical accuracy, as well as practicality? Or does it represent a deviation from original, for the sake of practicality?

Here are a couple shots from the olden days that seem to show some dangling bits.

Attachments

• 1075in69.jpg
    1075in69.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Le-Mans-1969.jpg
    Le-Mans-1969.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 223
Back