Roaring Forties #18

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Chris
That is truly something to be proud of! You once provided me with inspiration when your car was at a similar stage to mine at the moment. I think with a little more inspiration (come around and take me for a spin!!!) I may get to finish mine before the end of the year.
Well done and well deserved.

Bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi Chris, congrats, the car looks awesome. When you get some hi res pics send them my way, Id love to see more. regards, Dan Weilacher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Veeerrryyy nice Chris. I'm a newbie here, but have been talking to Robert at length for a few weeks now. Seeing your car isn't helping me make a rational decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Heart is over-ruling head at present.

Chris

Fantastic machine!!! Well done.

My wife is going to hate you 'cause I am now even more determined to go get and build one just like yours!!

Hi all,

Sorry for the late replies. I've been away for the last four days living my dream. Colleen and I have been driving "the '40" along the Great Ocean Road and through the Adelaide Hills.

Tim and John,
I dropped in on some friends along the way and took them for a blast through the hills (including a lady friend of Colleen's who is definately not a car enthusiast). Watching their reaction afterwards made me realize that there was one rational reason for building one of these things… the smiles that it puts on peoples faces (mine included) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif After all, what else is life about.

PS. Colleen's friend insisted that I leave Colleen behind and drive her back to Melbourne instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (Colleen, I'm sure she was just kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Chris, funny you should mention the Great Ocean Road! My wife and I are thinking of coming to oz in early November and it has been recommended that we do that drive. Is it a good tourist run and is the weather good at that time?

Bud,

The Great Ocean Road is one of (if not THE) best drives I know of. It winds along the Southwest coast of Victoria and has breathtaking views of the oceans. It passes through a number of tourist-friendly seaside towns and there are a number of natural formations to see as well. It would take an easy day to do the whole length without stopping to take in the sites. The weather is usually dry and warm in November, but the beaches would still be a little chilly.

A word of advice... try and plan your drive so that it doesn't fall on a weekend so that you can enjoy less local traffic... especially if you're planing a spirited drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

The Great Ocean Road

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
'Er in doors tricked me into a spirited run along that road a couple of years ago in the cobra-- got stuck behind a caravan for all the best sections- so was forced to take in all the scenery. Also,put the Helicopter ride over the twelve appostles on the agender
The car looks magic! Chris,congratulations
Cheers Chris in QLD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks guys!! It sounds like we will definetly be sight seeing the first 3 weeks of November. To bad we don,t have Star Trek transporters for sending the 40 over for the drive. We have friends in Shepparton and Melbourne, so will probably squeeze in a visit to Mr. Logan's house of joy - another great area.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Bud,

Look forward to your visit and feel free to stay with us for a few days if required. I can always find a bed for a friend.

Best wishes,

Robert

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Bud, if the weather in Melbourne is no good all you have to do is wait 20 minutes it will change /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Make sure you make it to Queensland where the weather is
"Beautiful one day and perfect the next". Seriously The Great Ocean road is a terrific ride. Hope you enjoy your stay in OZ. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
The Great Ocean Road in the '40 is my dream of dreams - hopefully it won't be too far away.

I have briefed my wife on this & she is fairly keen, the only problem being storage space for a 2,000km round trip from Sydney. I told her that all she really need was her handbag packed with the basic make-up essentials & few G-strings - her response was "Then all you need to bring is your Amex card" !! Bloody Hell, talk about being caught between a rock & a hard place !

I am now greener that I was before !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,

We covered 1,986 km over the four days and only carried whatever we could fit in soft bags in the passenger’s footwell. (Colleen insisted that it wasn’t too uncomfortable). We carried just the basics, like changes of underwear, toiletries and some soft emergency clothing, and we washed our daily clothes at the destination as needed. Once you concede that the trip is about the drive and that you don’t need the tux and cape, it all makes a lot more sense. Colleen and I have toured on motorcycles in the past, so the small mental leap to slightly LESS carrying capacity was not too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .

And hey, don’t forget that other terrific destination... The Adelaide Hills . I’m sorry Adeladians, I’m letting the cat outa the bag here. You’ve had it all to yourselves for far too long. It’s one terrific winding road after another, and the traffic is almost non-existent on a weekday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif .

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Chris
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the 40 so much. I travelled the full length of the Great Ocean Rd at the start of this year including the Otways to the 12 Apostles. It is sensational except for the traffic as previously mentioned. There were moments when I wished I had GT40 like performance to take the string of cars ahead beating the oncoming traffic.....
Talking about great roads, I've organised a motorbike ride day for the 29th of Feb through the Black Spur, Marysville, Acheron, Molesville, Yea, Flowerdale & Whittlesea and you are welcome join us with your Daytona or GT40, as is every other forum member. These are some of the best roads in the Southern States!

Bill.

Thats a picture of me grinning while sitting in the driver's seat at Port Fairy along The Great Ocean Road. What, you can't see me? Well take my word for it... I AM grinning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 30891-Port_Fairy.JPG
    30891-Port_Fairy.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 541
Here we are in the Adelaide Hills. My apologies for the blurred interior. No apologies for the smudged exterior. that’s just what happens when you... ummm... errr... drive a GT40 through winding roads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 30893-Adl_hills.JPG
    30893-Adl_hills.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 533
Hi Im new but your perfect example of heaven is giving me more vigour to buy my own and start the build sooner.

Seriously my choice between a Roaring Forties GT40 and a DRB GT40 is a difficult one!
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Im planning to build it myself but leave the paint work to some one who knows what there doing!
Ive never worked fibre glass and it scares me a bit.

TRULY a work of art! MAGIC AWESOME Unbelievably beautiful example of a GT40.

Thanks Chris

Richard,

The guy who painted my car has convinced me that there is a world of difference between preparing metal and preparing fiberglass. The difference will be noticed years down the line though.

With regards to RF vs DRB, there are a number of well detailed threads on this forum that will no doubt help to point you in the right direction (use the search facility).

Back