Rod or Cable change for a G50?

Julian,
I am attempting to build a rod and cable shifter for right hand steering. the shifter would look like yours. My problem is understanding the back and forth movement of the shifter as it applies to the inner rod after the rose joint or heim joint. Does the outer tube control both the gear selection and neutral together? or does the inner rod select gears and the outer tube nuetral?
More photos would help.
Thanks, Vic

!967 Mckee Mk7 Can-Am race car

I'm with Garth on this one,

a piccie without the loudpipes would be convenient.

I suspect theres a push-pull bar inside the tube btw

grtz Thomas

Julian,
I like your setup and had seen it posted elsewhere on the forum. I would like to emulate it but I can't as I have too much "stuff" in the rear that gets in the way, not to mention that I have a center console shift which would add some rose joints that are akin to bind. I need a passenger seat for the wife and whomever wants a ride. If I didn't have to have the seat the bind issues would be minimal. I may not give up on the idea of a rod shift just yet. Keep it in the back of the "Things to do" folder. Your setup is straight forward and simple, but is best left to the right hand drive cars.
DRB cars have the combination of rod and cable from the center console, which might be a good choice except for the same problems.

Bill

Julian would be able to answer the question better on its action, but he does it all with three rod. The first rod from the shifter, attaches to a second rod at its end, that rod goes to the end of the tail shaft on the transmission. That rod has a rod end that acts as a fulcrum reversing the action of the shifter(push pull) to the shift rod in the trans. Its placement will alter the throw of the shifter. The first rod has another rod(third) that attaches on the side of the first rod to catch the rotation(neutral gate) and transfer it either directly or reversed to the shift rod depending on how it is mounted(top or bottom) and the movement required. Its design can shorten or lengthen the neutral gate.
Once the exhaust is moved or another angle of the picture is taken, it will become self evident.

Bill

Guys, the simplest rod shifter on this forum and it works a treat is Russ Nobles (Kiwi Scratch Built) no rod ends, just a couple of swivel joints and a rifle bolt type setup at the lever end and thats it.
Nick, the bottom line is rod shifters can be simple but realy only if you are RHD and RHShift if you want a centre shift you probably need to go to cable.
Cheers Leonmac

Nick, the bottom line is rod shifters can be simple but realy only if you are RHD and RHShift if you want a centre shift you probably need to go to cable.
Cheers Leonmac

Leon,

Thanks for the advice in the end Southern GT made me up a very elegant system while they were adapting my chassis for a G50 box.

Back