Rod or Cable change for a G50?

Hi,

I suspect this question has been asked before but I’m afraid I could not find it with a search.

Which is better for a Porsche G50 box rod or cable change?

Thanks

Nick

Malcolm

Supporter
I can't speak for GT40 G50 applications but the Ultima's I have seen with G50 boxes all used rod changes.

Hi Nick,

I'm curently mating a G50 on my GTD with a rod.
Hope to be at LM classic this month with the car.I will show you if you go there.

Rémy
Hi,

I suspect this question has been asked before but I’m afraid I could not find it with a search.

Which is better for a Porsche G50 box rod or cable change?

Thanks

Nick

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Nick

It is greatly a matter of personal preference.

I have a California Motor Sports side shift fitted to my G50 with cable shift as it was the only option with the Ford Boss motor given the motor is so physically large it would have been a nightmare to try and route the rod shift around the motor and also I like the billet end plate which caps off the G50 so there are no linkages hanging out the back of the rear clip.

Dimi.

Hi Nick,
how about this setup.
A very smooth shift.Not sure if it's the same as your box though.

Will Croll

Attachments

• DCarr.jpg
    DCarr.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,529
  • DCarr 001.jpg
    DCarr 001.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,190
Thanks T,
Keep your eyes open for a full GT40 build I will be posting soon on the builders section.
RF Quad cam 4.6 6 speed fully optioned turn key.

Will

Looks a nice peice of kit

The following are supplied by Steve Austin (yes really) at www.autobionics.co.uk looks like a nice piece of kit.

Attachments

• 100_0301.jpg
    100_0301.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 152_5293.jpg
    152_5293.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,250

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have the Brandwood cable shifter and had to make many modifications in brackets and levers in order to make it work properly for my G50/03 (shortened to roughly G50/01 overall length).. Check out my build site for details and pictures as I don't know how to capture the pictures for posting here...

Just a quick correction

I contacted AJ Speedshift re doing a hydraulic sequential and was told they have not as yet done a G50 or have any plans to do so but that they would post it on their website if they ever do.

I have the email from their company to confirm.

Dimi

That's interesting. I had just spoke to the owner, Steve, that week I posted that, and when I ask him if he had ever done a G50, his reply was "Yep, I just sent one out the door about a month ago. A G50/52. It's not my normal configuration, and I had to come up with completely custom stuff, but when guys come in with plenty of cash, I can build just about anything."

I will definitely check back with him. I've known the guy for quite some time, (almost 10 years) and it is not his normal attitude to say "Nope, I don't do that" when it comes to converting ANY transmission or transaxle to sequential. He's a "can do" type of guy.

OK, I just got off the phone with the owner. We are both right. If you look in your email it says that he has not converted a G50 over to his proprietary hydraulic setup. He told me that he has indeed converted a G50/20 over to be sequential, but it was for the use of the MasterShift system. I guess I mistakenly had thought he had said G50/52. His product is featured as a component of the SEMA orange and black GTM that was featured in Kit Car magazine. Here's a link:

Factory Five Racing GTM - Kit Car Magazine

He restated to me that nothing is impossible if the motivation ($) is there. He has been working closely with MasterShift and suggests that for the Porsche boxes you look at their (MasterShift's) solution as the R&D is already paid for and it is a "tricker" product for the kit car market than just his sequential conversions. His market is mainly desert cars running VW or Mendeola boxes.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
According to Gary Cheney (owner of the GTM with the MasterShift system) the first installation trashed a perfectly good G50 box.. Remember that the sequential boxes are generally dog-shifters not a Blocker ring synchro system like the G50. Hammer a G50 like it was a dog shifter and you better be good friends with the tranny shop owner...

According to Gary Cheney (owner of the GTM with the MasterShift system) the first installation trashed a perfectly good G50 box.. Remember that the sequential boxes are generally dog-shifters not a Blocker ring synchro system like the G50. Hammer a G50 like it was a dog shifter and you better be good friends with the tranny shop owner...

Exactly. You can only shift a syncro'ed transmission(safely) as fast as the syncros speed up the selected gears and allow the selector rings to slip over and into the dog rings on the gears. Sequential adaptations w/o internal revisions just spells excessive wear/force and damage down the road, at least to me. I'd rather keep my expensive gearbox for at leak 15K miles before needing to overhaul it :shocked:

there's a company calle Ikeya Formula in Japan that makes some rather intricate "sequential" shift conversion kits for some special cars(Elise, Skyline, Silvia, etc) They also make one for the current 996 series transaxles and it really does work, but having driven one and hearing the syncros literally scream in the back of the Porsche during every shift(especially downshifts) I cannot imagine them lasting much more than 5-10k miles before just letting go and leaving you gearless.

Besides, something about the sequential shift seems to take away from the "feel" of the the car. It's either got to be a full blown, paddle shift sequential selection, or just a standard H pattern for me. Nothing in between seems right (my opinion that is)

OK. Let's get something straight. AJ Machine does sequential conversions of just about any box. With their system, you end up with a hydraulic shifter unit you can place just about anywhere. I have run one of these for close to 6 years on a desert car and had only ONE issue while trying to speed shift in a drag race. That was fixed by the owner at AJ Machine, and he subsequently upgraded the part that failed. The failure occured in the first six months I had the unit. NO PROBLEMS SINCE. The benefits are numerous. You can "feel" the gears just like a rod shifter, better than a cable shifter, there is no adjustment necessary due to cable stretch, and there is no binding like a rod shifter. It is a very unique system. If you don't like what you see, don't use it. I was merely stating a fact that "there is more than one way, or in this case two ways, to skin a cat" and I would suggest that you not knock it till you've tried it.

MasterShift markets a paddle shifter. They incorporate some hardware from AJ Machine that helps them do that in some cases. That was the case with the G50/20 mentioned. They are two seperate companies.

Also, you guys are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about the synchroed boxes. They are difficult to automate. The use of pneumatics that are properly set up softens the blow and eases the ring into position when set up correctly. I have many of the same questions of the MasterShift product as you guys have and will be investigating them with MasterShift. Again, I'm not gonna knock it till I've AT LEAST investigated it a bit. As for it blowing up the first tranny? I would expect nothing less or more. There is always some trial and error involved in these types of things. If you want something cheap and with a warranty, go buy a Honda.

My car "K4OGT" uses a rod change system, basically a rose jointed streight rod from the drivers side, all the way to the rear of the gearbox.

Then with the aid of some additional rods and rose joints provides a superb shift "Like a rifle bolt!"

Engine is Chevy 350 mated to a G50/50 with Quaife Internals & ATB

I have attached a couple of photos

Julian

Attachments

• DSCN1373s.JPG
    DSCN1373s.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 915
  • K40GT Offices.JPG
    K40GT Offices.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 798
Back