Sauber and other Mercedes delights

I'm working on a large budget commercial featuring some rare (1 of 1) and powerful (700 bee haitch pee) cars from the Mercedes Museum. More to come.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Oooohhh Yessss. More please. My son, a Mercedes technician, visited the Mercedes museum recently and brought back over 300 photos. Lots of great machinery, plus social history, that I never tire of.

More goodies, including 300SL Le Mans winner. This one got special treatment here on the airfield due to it's astronomical insured value.

Attachments

• IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,966
  • IMG_3332.jpg
    IMG_3332.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3356.jpg
    IMG_3356.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3362.jpg
    IMG_3362.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 307
Photos of the Russian Arm camera car (Merc, of course), interior detail of the Le Mans 300 SL showing removable steering wheel and chronometer (this car has an insured value of $15,000,000 btw and was shipped in it's very own transporter from Washington) and a wide shot of the many hours of work done by the grip, electric, and transportation departments.

Why not, I'll add another photo of the Sauber. I cannot find an angle of this car that is not absolutely dead sexy. Amazing something so graceful is so fast; 248 miles an hour on the Mulsanne before they added the chicane.

Attachments

• IMG_3374.JPG
    IMG_3374.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,028
Last edited:
Thank you for posting the photos of the V12 Mercedes C291! It is my absolute favorite of all the GTP/Group C era cars.

I assume it is a Mercedes commercial you are working on; any idea when we might see it?

Jack

Thank you for posting the photos of the V12 Mercedes C291! It is my absolute favorite of all the GTP/Group C era cars.

I assume it is a Mercedes commercial you are working on; any idea when we might see it?

Jack

You're very welcome Jack, thanks for your enthusiasm. All the GTP car photos are a Sauber C9, chassis number 5, powered by a twin turbo 5.0 liter V-8.

It will be a series of commercials featuring the cars depicted in my photos in various states of action and repose. As far as time, it could be as little as 2 weeks and as much as 2 months before you will see it. It will also feature a new model vehicle not released until 2012 that I can not name (sorry, I signed my name to a non-disclosure statement) so these spots may run for quite a while.

Last edited:
That photo is definately the lone C-291 car. One built for 1991 season. Finished 2nd at LeMans that year. Still love it though. The Sauber Mercedes progression was
C-9, C-11, C-291. I don't think it was a rebodied C-11.

Does anyone know the original Mercedes paint color for the C-9?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I was lucky enough to go to Le Mans in 1991, it was a great year!

The purple Silk-Cut Jags, These Sauber Mercs, the winning green/orange Mazdas and my favorites, those beautiful Peugeots!

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I've actually got one of the cars which found its way into your photos... a 3.5 cabriolet. Lovely car. I love MB cars, wish I had ten or twenty more of them.

wow, this mercedes is awesome...
nice front wich works as a downforse spoiler...
also the doors on the rear wich look like the cabin pressure can escape there.

very nice. this could be "RCR's next care would be :D"

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the correction, pardon the mistake. Never heard that Sauber run unfortunately, they just towed it round behind an ML or it was pushed. The gold 3.5 Cabriolet was one of the classier cars in the bunch, which is saying quite a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3394.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The last photo looks like it might be one of the 300SLs that ran the Carrera Panamericana before they stopped running that race.

I was told years ago that the last 3.5 cabriolet off the production line was never sold- that DB kept it for their museum. I hope that is true, but more to the point, I am glad they have one in there. They are wonderful cars- excellent road manners, comfortable, reasonably quick for what they are, and beautiful to look at. I am very fortunate to have one- it was a series of lucky accidents. Of all the MB 111 cabriolets, it may be the finest model and I have to confess I love it dearly. Between Ford race cars of the sixties, and quite a few MB models, I still find things to yearn for.

Back