Scam scam scam!!!

Mike Pass

Supporter

This info is from my partner who had these scumbags trying it on today.

This number is related to a computer scam. I got a call from a female asian caller who said she was from Microsoft and that I was a genuine windows user and there was an infection on my PC. She asked me to go on my computer and I said no so she said to contact Microsoft myself directly. I rang off and rang Microsoft. The person who answered was also Asian and he said to go to the Microsoft events logs and told to scroll through them noting the yellow warning signs or red alert signs. I was then told that this indicated my PC was seriously infected with trojans caused by my internet browsing. He asked various questions such as did I do internet shopping and banking etc. This operative then said her colleague from the technical department would contact me tomorrow to help me resolve my problems. He then asked to install a program to take over the computer and did so. He then showed a list of Trojans on the PC (which he had put there) and said they could sort it all out for a payment of £127. He also asked for the password to the PC which was refused as was the credit card details.

HOW THE SCAM WORKS

They ring and say that you have problems on your PC. When you refuse to do what they say they say to phone Microsoft yourself. As you are concerned you then ring Microsoft BUT THEY HAVEN’T PUT THE PHONE DOWN!! So when you think you have phoned Microsoft you are just back connected to the scammers. They even play the sound of a phone ringing at the end of your dialling to convince you that you are ringing Microsoft. They then run through a whole load of stuff to convince you that you have a severe infection on your PC. They are trying to get access to your PC but mainly they want your credit card details. This will undoubtedly involve a remote desktop connection allowing the techie access to my pc. This is the point where a credit card will be asked for. Another possibility is the lowlife will install keylogger software that will enable him to view any passwords I type remotely on his pc.

BEWARE of calls like this.

Be careful out there.

Cheers

Mike

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the 'heads up', Mike.

I have to say I've never known anyone who's been called by 'Microsquish' and told his p.c. was infected - or called by them for any other reason. Just the fact Microsoft supposedly called reeks of a "scam" right there. It's similar to your bank or credit card company calling and needing this-and-that account/personal info to pursue a 'fraud investigation'. (In the case of banks and 'card companies, they already have all that info in their records. They don't need to get it from you.)

I don't understand how the "back-connecting" thing works though. When one completes a call on his end and hangs up the handset...waits a second or two...then picks the handset back up to dial out, there ought to be a dial tone. Without that dial tone, one shouldn't be able to dial out. The fact that all of a sudden one can dial out without that dial tone ought to be yet another red flag.

'Guess I'm just a natural born cynic/skeptic/suspicious person.

Keith

I have the Pro paid for (Jack you cheapskate :)) versions of both and can confirm they are very good pieces of software especially Malwarebytes which will prevent you doing all sorts of silly things on your computer and is totally adept at blocking known rogue sites. It outperforms even the best Net Security Solutions software by a country mile.

Of course all the really clever stuff by MBAM is only available on the paid version but it's not expensive compared with what it will save you.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Update.

I have been checking up on this scam. It is quite well known and is mainly used to phish for bank card details. They try to get these using the non hung up phone to trick you into thinking that you are ringing Microsoft but are actually back with the scammers. They then get you to allow them access to your pc using software called LogmeIn which allows remote control of your pc. They then show you the infections on your pc which don't actually exist as the info you see is coming from the scammers. When you say you are unhappy with anything they do, say or ask you to do they say well you rang us (and you still think you have rung Microsoft). Once they have access to your pc they can do anything they like.
The other aspect to the scam is that they say they will clean your machine for fee and if you go along with this they get your credit card details and promptly rob your account.
Fortunately my partner refused to give the pc password or any credit card details even though she thought she was dealing with Microsoft. A good thing too! I told her to switch off the pc and not to speak to anyone as I was sure there was no infection as the pc has Windows Security and Malwarebytes to keep it clean.
I checked with my son who is a network engineer and he was aware of this scam and helped me to check out the pc to ensure that any malware was removed and any dodgy utilities were deleted, passwords reset etc.
The pc is now with our local pc man (for a thorough flush out) who has had more than a dozen of these attacks brought to his attention so it is pretty rife. If these lowlifes find an easy target then they will be fooled and their money stolen.
The initial number looks like a UK phone number but is a digit short. When this number is googled it comes up as a number associated with a phishing scam. I have passed the info on to UK National Scambusters. The lowlifes rang back to try again and the number revealed on caller ID this time was thirteen digit number which when googled has no info. Judging by the accents these arseholes are in India.
I am surprised that the phone bit of the scam operates as I would have thought that closing your end of the phone would drop the whole connection. This would seem to be an issue that needs some attention from the phone companies. Whether this is a UK only issue I don't know.

Cheers
Mike

I think its time for computer control. There are far too many computers out there and anyone can buy one without a background check or proof of competency to safely operate one.

Keith

I second that extraordinarily sensible proposal. I further propose that anyone who shares initials with Jesus Christ should be forthwith banned from owning one on account of the supreme blasphemy of playing (or attempting to) God on the internet.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I actually had that scam tried on me and was sucked in untill they asked for credit card details, which I refused to give.

Keith

I have never been scammed, possibly because I owe so much money, I never answer the phone and burn all my mail unopened..

I second that extraordinarily sensible proposal. I further propose that anyone who shares initials with Jesus Christ should be forthwith banned from owning one on account of the supreme blasphemy of playing (or attempting to) God on the internet.

That would cause a hissy fit of biblical proportions.

I am surprised that the phone bit of the scam operates as I would have thought that closing your end of the phone would drop the whole connection. This would seem to be an issue that needs some attention from the phone companies. Whether this is a UK only issue I don't know.

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

The call hold time is there to allow people (before the advent of cordless phones), to move from one phone extension to another, if for example a phone is answered in the kitchen and the person being called wants to move into the lounge.

I think on BT switches the calling party can hold for around 2 mins after the called party has gone on hook.

However, the called party can usually terminate the call by using the recall button.

Back