Scott T's build - Safir GT40

This car looks like the one that was featured in Automobile magazine back in the late 80s (I think). Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations.

it was that car. I am excited to put together a professional video to share. If I was talented more, I would send everyone the dyno video.

Well, I am very pleased to let all know she is very much alive. The short version, we had her prepared for a track day at Road Atlanta the last weekend in August. As always with race cars, there was a thrash to get her running etc on the Friday before. The first time she was driven under her own power was friday, August 27, 2021 at 5:37 PM by me around the shop. The Saturday began with us taking her across to the empty paddock for a few spirited runs to make sure she ran, shifted, stopped etc. Immediately she was overheating (air in the tank/hoses I would imagine you all have seen) but the brake pedal was soft. We chased that all day as I did not want to put her on the track with a soft pedal. After all efforts to cure, we could not and had multiple calls to folks. The Sunday was the same. That said, it was a start. I had professional video folks and camera folks there and soon will be sharing the full story. If I have time today, and can figure out how, I will share with you all a small taste of the day with Lani......

sexycar.jpg
sexycar.jpg

Well I hope all is well and wish to report (after two years) on Lani. As a reminder she is GT40P1098. I have now tried three times to have her run at Road Atlanta, unsuccessfully. Multiple issues with a car that was sleeping for 28 years in a barn as one may imagine..lesson, drive the things as often as you can. Anyway, at some point I will post videos, photos, and much more details via some format so that folks can enjoy the car and also learn from many paths I have had to run down. My latest was to send the 48 IDA's to Jim Inglese for a total rebuild as the carbs were NOT rebuilt correctly by the engine builder and we had many fuel dump/overheating issues. I pray thats behind me as Jim (I was directed by this group here) is the man to fix carbs. In fact the overheating of the fuel was discovered as we were looking for answers (again provided by this web) for what we felt was the latest problem and found the need for phenolic spacers as I have Gurney Weslake and Weber carb set up. Anyway, we shall try yet again and plan on another effort at a shakedown soon.

Back