Scotts build thread

I don't know what it'll do to the aero, if anything, but, who cares!
It does indeed look amazing. I, however, hope the aerodynamics are really good.
With such a fast car as the SLC, aerodynamics is a major concern.

Even the professionals sometimes get it wrong, with poor results:

CLRflip3.jpg

Les

^ that, and not cresting hills under acceleration at 200mph with a flat bottom car. Lol

I am sure front downforce is increased with what I did. The flaw, if any, may be that it is quite aggresive in the pinch area. Would surely hurt top end speed compared to the original design. Thats why I have turbo's. :)

Hey Scott, Have you found what you're going to use for head lights yet? I just happened to notice a Nissan Juke today and thought the angle might work. I'm not to hip on the car itself though. Just a thought. That front end is trick. I wish Fran would share his thoughts on it.

I bought some 2.5" projectors that have a solenoid in them that puts down the flap that creates your parting line on them for your high beams. Need to make the headlight myself. Housing, lens, mounts, and integrating the drl's and turn signals.
Got some pretty cool stuff planned, but still planning. Trying to finalize shape of it.

Been pretty busy the last couple days, but was able to make the drl/blinker part that will go in headlight.
Took a piece of 5/8" alum tubing and cut a window in it. One will go on each side of projector. One drl to the inside, one turn signal to the outside. Should look pretty good and detailed, but the difficulty to make 4 of these all identical will be very hard to do. May change up to some U channel instead.

Scott,

No offense to Fran, and beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder etc etc...But,

I much prefer your body style to the original. I really like how you integrated the rads in the back. Of course, your design is a bit more "aggressive" than original, and may be too much for some people. But, if I were an SLC owner, I'd sneak into your garage while you were on vacation and splash a mold off your car.

Nice work.

This would be a 20 year build if I was attempting all the stuff you're doing. Impressive how quick you move a long. Great work.

Thanks. Pretty much all I do is work, and work on whatever car project I have at the time. :laugh: I am worse than addicted to building stuff. I need more space to get more tools though.

Scott,

No offense to Fran, and beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder etc etc...But,

I much prefer your body style to the original. I really like how you integrated the rads in the back. Of course, your design is a bit more "aggressive" than original, and may be too much for some people. But, if I were an SLC owner, I'd sneak into your garage while you were on vacation and splash a mold off your car.

Nice work.

Thanks Ron. Ya, I am sure in some peoples eyes I "destroyed the car" or whatever other opinion there may be. But, I am guessing most people bought the SLC to get noticed and have something not mainstream in the first place. :laugh:
Really didn't set out to "better" the original design, or anything along that order as it is fantastic as received. Hence why I wanted one for soo long. But, my imagination takes over and the chance and ability to make my own design takes over and out comes a saw. Lol. Certain amount of pride does go with it, and with the great positive feedback from everyone from every forum or social media I have posted the pictures too, makes me happy it wasn't a flop. :thumbsup:

There is a large fiberglass company by me I have worked with before. Once the body is further along, I can go there and see what the cost would be. Maybe a group buy or something, 5-10 confirmed orders, and see if it is worth it. Gotta get the back done. It will be receiving ALOT more changes than the front!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
It does indeed look amazing. I, however, hope the aerodynamics are really good.
With such a fast car as the SLC, aerodynamics is a major concern.

Even the professionals sometimes get it wrong, with poor results:

CLRflip3.jpg

Les

You're assuming Scott's going to be 'top ending' the car speed-wise, Les. But, perhaps he has no intention of 'going there'! (Maybe he'll 'chime in' on that.)

You're right, of course. 'Doesn't take much to screw a car's aero up (which is why I made reference to same). But, for ME, Scott's redo is nothing short of S-I-C-K!!! :pepper: I'd be just fine with owning a car that looks like that and keeping it 'under 100' if need be!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Finally got the upper transition figured out and set. I am sure the design isn't everyones cut of tea, but for me, it is really working! going to look straight nasty going down the road!

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/scooter350z/media/20151024_160846_zpshrkwohe1.jpg.html

QUOTE]

Really interesting work and it looks like you are doing a fantastic job.

I hesitate to offer an opinion here because I don't even own an SLC, but to my eye I think it would look better if the 'point' area of the new section was a bit lower. Maybe it's just the photos, but is that area now higher than it was before the modification?

Finally got the upper transition figured out and set. I am sure the design isn't everyones cut of tea, but for me, it is really working! going to look straight nasty going down the road!

QUOTE]

Really interesting work and it looks like you are doing a fantastic job.

I hesitate to offer an opinion here because I don't even own an SLC, but to my eye I think it would look better if the 'point' area of the new section was a bit lower. Maybe it's just the photos, but is that area now higher than it was before the modification?

That is the original height. I didn't want to drop it since it would have made the angle very steep, and made the nose look very proud. Wanted to keep the same long angle as original. Also, creates more options for brake duct or other lighting positions.

Finally, it has power. There was a programming issue with mine and had to send back to Infinity. They found the problem quickly and sent back just as quick and added two extra ign on circuits for me with pigtails, for free. Great customer service!

Making crude form for headlight housing.

got the basic shape carved out of the foam.

Used some 20 minute sheetrock mud to do big filling and super easy shaping. Still a few more tweaks to change. Tomorrow cover with bondo and get final shape. Hoping to have a headlight by tomorrow night. Both sides will be identical, so only one mold needed.

Thanks Kent. It is kind of weird. It looks like lots of different cars, but once you really examine it, it isn't like anything out there. I have been studying race car and super car design for months now, and the one thing that is consistent, is none of them are the same. Pretty much anything goes design wise. There isn't one single recipe that can be followed to guarantee success. Even the front angles and proportions are different on nearly every single car.
I have noticed a big trend though for about the last 10 years, and that is the further refinement of front downforce from previous years designs. A really quick tutorial of front downforce can be had by looking at Pikes Peak cars. Low relative speeds, and need for high grip.

We spent many hundreds of hours running CFD for the SLC primarily focussing on the race car package as frontal downforce is always every race cars Achilles heel
Be careful as sometimes what looks slippery can be quite the opposite...

Back