Scotts build thread

Keith

Hi Scott thanks for replying. I meant that will you "prove" the effectiveness of the revised front end aero by driving it at speed to get "seat of the pants" impressions (in other words what your gut feeling is and seeing how the car behaves) or will you deploy some kind of wind tunnel or CFD work?

I only ask as presumably the original design was put through CFD and was a known quantity, where as now, it's changed quite considerably.

I suppose the cheaper option is to take it to a track day with a nice long straightaway.. Bit of fun too.. :)

Luckily, I have a friend who actually writes the software for Autodesk and have access to the scanners and program to do it. Just need to finish the car as a package to make the investment as effective as possible.
I also have 3 different pro driver friends, that literally are waiting by my garage door to test this thing when done also! Haha.
I will probably come down to seat of the pants and lap times ultimately though. CFD and wind tunnel testing only goes so far and is more of a "perfect environment" type of testing that keeps the object being tested stationary, and the fluid is in motion. In actual, it is opposite with a car. But at this time, it is the best way to even get a rough analysis of a design.

Last edited:

Keith

I'll look forward to reading about that Scott..:thumbsup:

Larry seems overly concerned with your, er, rear end and I guess that's next on the list. Patience Larry, we'll get to see his rear end soon enough!

I'll look forward to reading about that Scott..:thumbsup:

Larry seems overly concerned with your, er, rear end and I guess that's next on the list. Patience Larry, we'll get to see his rear end soon enough!

Haha. I shall be spreading my rear end all over the internet soon enough! :shocked:

I'm still having fun exposing the front right now. :thumbsup:

Scott, are you going to make any changes to the roof scoop? For me that has always been the one thing I would want to either remove or change more to how the P1 cars are designed or something else.

It has crossed my mind. I feel it is kind of an iconic part of the car in my opinion though.
Main goal is to get it looking good without any drastic mods to the center body work. Removing it will work better with my rear design, but if I plan to make the parts available to others, it would be a process most would not do I assume.
Believe me, more than one rear design has hit the trash can because of visual conflict with the roof scoop. It just means I have to try harder. ;)

Had am apifiny last night while starting to mock up new headlight buckets.
One word "options!" You will be able to use 2 90mm housings, 2 60mm housings, or a 4x6 single housing! All will work! This really opens up to many different types of looks, and amount of money a guy wants to spend on headlights. I personally am leaning towards the jw speaker 4x6 led high and low. Would look very modern and cool. Only 4" deep too.
Will post pics as it progresses. Housing will be same basic shape, but lens a touch larger to accommodate a larger flange to incorporate a really cool idea for my previous drl/turn signal leds.

Had am apifiny last night while starting to mock up new headlight buckets.
One word "options!" You will be able to use 2 90mm housings, 2 60mm housings, or a 4x6 single housing! All will work! This really opens up to many different types of looks, and amount of money a guy wants to spend on headlights. I personally am leaning towards the jw speaker 4x6 led high and low. Would look very modern and cool. Only 4" deep too.
Will post pics as it progresses. Housing will be same basic shape, but lens a touch larger to accommodate a larger flange to incorporate a really cool idea for my previous drl/turn signal leds.

Great idea! I never thought about jumping to a completely different form factor like the 4x6. I doubt it would fit in the current production openings, though.

Thanks Will. Ya, it was a real "duh" moment when I saw it. The jw 4x6 lights are expensive at about $550, but, guys could do the dbl 90mm or dbl 60mm for $150-200, or complete cheap is a $10 4x6 halogen. Lol.

Mocked up piece. Pretty easy to see the rectangle light/s would originate from. Flat part is 4.25" high, and over 7" wide. Perfect to fit a 4x6.

While I'm at it, here is the winglets ready for first coat of primer. It is not dual sided like before. But, front edge acts as a beam with fiberglass core, wood dowel encapsulated in bondo. Rear edge has little kick up. Then to add strength to the center, a couple more wood dowels creating beams. It weighs less than 2lbs each and I could easily stand on them. Viewed from either end, it appears to be a 1/2"+ thick though.

Well, got the next version of headlight done. Not sure I like it. I get quite a bit of beam loss since the bucket channel is so narrow. I finally came to the conclussion I would be willing to give up the linear symetric look to the headlight, and open up the side and do a curved lens cover. I came up with this little gem (in orange fine line tape) that might be a good design to follow.

Scott, When I look at your new mock-up, I think that all this with the headlights happened for a good reason. It is absolutely perfect with your front end. The look will really be worth the work.

Thanks for the positive words Ken. Since that pic, I have gone back and forth 3 more times to finally end in such frustration I chose to skip it and move on to the back end. Then literally 30 minutes later, I had a design idea that sealed the deal on the headlights! Spent the rest of the night planning the most streamlined plan to the end product and now that i'm home from work, I am getting right on it!
It is very similar to the outline above, but got the inside design planned and it will be very cool!! I got a touch of inspiration from the Toyota GT-One. It is the only car in the world I have found to be the most similar in slope and pontoon fender style to my design.

Since I have both the 90mm Original headlights, and the 60mm, I tested both with the 55w hid kit. The 60mm must be tuned better for the hid or it is a different euro version (they allow higher light outputs than U.S.) because the difference is literally night and day. The lumens output or focus of them was nearly double, yet same hid bulb and ballast. Can test with halogen bulbs too if someone is curious or thinking of swapping to the 60mm housing.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Scott,

First.. let me say you do amazing work! In playing around with body mods, I have learned that there may never be a "right" answer. Instead, you have to interpret what you fell is correct. Opinions are like xxxholes... everybody has one! :stunned: So here is mine (my opinion, not my xxxhole). I think the new outline of the headlight fits the car MUCH better. While the pointed front looks cool, I think this softens it some... which I personally like. While giving opinions you didn't as for.... consider shortening the new winglets a little. The tunnel you have exposed is killer. By shortening the rear portion of the winglet, more of the tunnel is exposed.

Give me your input about your fiberglass process. One of my problems with my fiberglass is large pinholes or voids in areas where I cannot lay up th piece independently. So I am going back with a handpiece, exposing those areas and filling with Duraglass. Any thoughts on a better way?:shrug:

Fiat Coupe headlights might look good there (possibly swapped sides):
Outside1.jpg

headlight1.jpg

headlight2.jpg

Unfortunately, it was never sold in the US (was at least throughout Europe), so probably doesn't have the correct approvals / markings, if that's an issue.

Back