Scotts build thread

Leave the holes and stick some exhaust in them. lol

06-23-2013-08-Amazing-car-garage-with-amazing-cars-Part-2.jpg

A bit further. About the only part I am 100% on is the upper portion. The very back will still probably change.

I hate to say it, but the rear bubble or whatever design has me pretty close to going back to the original intake to fit under the rear clam!! I will give it another shot or two though with some different ideas.

Michael Fling

Supporter
You never cease to amaze! A thought... I love the vents behind the rear tire, and I really like the new angle of the back taillight section just under the spoiler. Regarding the vent... Consider having the 90 degree angles mimic the radius of the side body vents. Way cool for sure!

You never cease to amaze! A thought... I love the vents behind the rear tire, and I really like the new angle of the back taillight section just under the spoiler. Regarding the vent... Consider having the 90 degree angles mimic the radius of the side body vents. Way cool for sure!

I am waiting for the tail lights to get here, then see what I need to do to fit them. I have a feeling I will be cutting the whole rear out entirely, and making some alum something.
I have also come to the conclussion I am not a super fan of the way the back radius is. May try squaring it up again. The car has alot of flat areas down the side, so the size of radius I have now in the back, might look a touch out of place. I am trying to make the design consistent enough to make it not look added on, but like it was always that way. If that makes sense.
I really like the vent on the side behind the tire ( it has rounded edges instead of square. I will make the other side openings rounded to match) but it doesn't seem to flow like I would like. In other words, I have stared at it to long and am about to start over. Hahaha

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I really like the vent on the side behind the tire ( it has rounded edges instead of square. I will make the other side openings rounded to match) but it doesn't seem to flow like I would like.

Try SQUARING those corners same as the other two side body vents and look again.
OR, round the corners of the other two (via a couple temporary cardboard/poster board inserts) to match the rear. Perhaps that may make the whole side "flow"/'tie together' visually.

Whadaya 'got' to lose?

Already on to the next design Larry. Lol.

Got tail lights today. Was able to put 2 lights together to make this weird, but cool, shaped tail light. They are super bright, and dot approved. Just need to figure out turn signals and back up lights now.
Early stages of trying new design also.

I better get to building this version soon, before I change my mind! I am liking this. A little bit more will happen in the center section. Tail light will appear to just hang in space in that area. All openings will have hexagonal mesh behind it. Best I could find was 80% open area, which is about as good as it gets for mesh anyways.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Soooooo...will the stock, hinged engine cover now be converted to a 'lift-off' due to the new rear mods...or will the new tail section itself be removable in order to allow the stock engine cover to tilt open in the standard manner...or...? :shrug:

Keith

Hmmmm. Although it may not be, it looks kind of 'heavy' if you catch my drift. Possibly due to the colour mismatch though...:shrug:

Soooooo...will the stock, hinged engine cover now be converted to a 'lift-off' due to the new rear mods...or will the new tail section itself be removable in order to allow the stock engine cover to tilt open in the standard manner...or...? :shrug:

It will not hinge from back anymore. That plan was realized before starting on rear. Will cut across near top of tires. Then back body work, wing, and diffuser will be solidly mounted. Takes alot of problems away.
While I am sure not everyone has read all nearly 800 posts in this thread now, I had posted about the new hinging numerous times. Lol.

Hmmmm. Although it may not be, it looks kind of 'heavy' if you catch my drift. Possibly due to the colour mismatch though...:shrug:

Ya, I honestly am not super stoked about it either. It is the big rear diffuser that is making it hard and creating the dimensions. Will it look good in the final rendition of the car and pass as good, yes. But, I am not ready to call it final yet.
Came up with a plan to post pics of car in my local car group page, and call out a "design contest". Lol. Then I can get many different visions from really good designers and photoshoppers. Whose ever design wins (and I approve too) I will build. Might be a winning strategy. :laugh:

"Longtail" mid-engine cars are difficult to get right. While there are good aerodynmic reasons for doing it, most times they end up looking added on. The McClaren F1 longtail is a good example of "added on" look. The same with the Porsches, although the 917 LT was as curvy as the rest of the car. To my eye, with the cockpit already so far forward, it gives an unbalanced look to the side. The new 675LT longtail was executed in a better fashion, but really its not much longer than the 675.

If the rear diffuser used an exponential curve rather than a linear slope (as it has now), it would be more effective, allowing you to reduce the length of the diffuser ( by about a third) for the same effect,

Back