Seat removal

Hi Guys,
Just restarted the build on my CAV chassis #129. Had to delay it to move to Albuquerque. Getting ready to string the wires and shifter and need help removing the seats! Also the center shift console. Anybody know where the seats bolt and how to remove them?

Thanks in advance
Bruce Benson
CAV GT #129
Albuquerque, NM

Bruce, on my CAV there are bolts securing the seat tracks/sliders at each end of the sliders. You slide the seats all the way back to get to the forward bolts and all the way forward to get to the rearward bolts. The bolts are through bolts without captive nuts so you have to be able to get to the underside of the car to hold the nut while unscrewing the bolt head.

I haven't had the center console out of my car so I'm not much help there.

Good luck and persist!

Cliff,
Thanks for the input. The seats are all the way back against the bulkhead and I dont see any signs of bolts near the front of the seats. I looked under the car and don't see any obvious bolts there either. Don't know if CAV changed the mounts or what, but I will persist!!

By the way I used to live in Seattle. Wedgwood area. Still own property in University Village area.

Under the car you should see 4 large recessed washers on each side. the console is held in by several sheet metel screws on each side under the carpet.

The seat bolts on the newer CAV are in the seat bolsters, inside the seats!
Lift up the center upholstery(attached with velcro) and you will find 2 slits in the bolsters, front and back on each side. There is a 8mm nut and washer holding the seat to the tracks.
I use a 13mm ratcheting end wrench to remove the nuts.
Be sure to retrieve the nuts and washers and then pull the seat straight up, off the studs for the tracks.
Remove the seat belt attach bolts from the center and console will come up.
Remember, if it was easy, everybody would have one of these!
Dave

Thanks Guys!!
This pm I discovered what David so kindly pointed out...the inserts in the seats are velcroed in w/ a bolster. After that seat removal was easy. Got the tunnel out and managed to fit both the shifter and the handbrake with cables. Tomorrow the go fast pedal!!

I really appreciate you guys jumping right in with advice, this rookie needs all the help he can get.

Bruce
CAV #129

Cliff,
Thanks for the input. The seats are all the way back against the bulkhead and I dont see any signs of bolts near the front of the seats. I looked under the car and don't see any obvious bolts there either. Don't know if CAV changed the mounts or what, but I will persist!!

By the way I used to live in Seattle. Wedgwood area. Still own property in University Village area.

Hi Bruce,

Good to see you got your seats sorted out.

If you're in Seattle checking on your property then ping me and I'd be happy to have you come by and check out my CAV. I'm just a little ways up Sand Point Way from U Village!

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I haven't seen any pictures posted of "BLUE BEAUTY" if it is still blue??? I hope you are enjoying it as much as I did. It was the most fun thing I ever had.

JOSEPH

Hi Cliff,

I haven't seen any pictures posted of "BLUE BEAUTY" if it is still blue??? I hope you are enjoying it as much as I did. It was the most fun thing I ever had.

JOSEPH

Hi Joseph!

I've not been very good about posting pics - you're right. Yes, she is tucked up in my new garage and hasn't changed much at all since she arrived from Georgia. I've put a couple of thousand miles on her so she has maybe 6,000 miles. Mostly trips to HomeDepot and the grocery store for formula for our new twins delivered last month.

Unbeknownst to me somebody took some video of me parking the car at a car show this summer and posted it on YouTube just the other day: YouTube - ford gt 40

And here's a short vid clip of her at a park near my house: YouTube - Cliffs GT40

She's a lot of fun. Anytime you're heading to Seattle then be sure to let me know and you can take her for the afternoon.

Cheers Joseph!

Back at you Cliff,

Boy am I jealous of you putting all those miles on "BLUE BEAUTY". You got yourself a really good car from me. Keep driving her. She needs the exercise.

Congratulations on having twins.

Have a great holiday season and best wishes to your family.

Found only these: YouTube - Cliffs GT40

YouTube - Lola T70 at LeMans Classic 2004

Joseph

PS: Here I'll post some pictures I took near my home. This is why I called her "BLUE BEAUTY".

Attachments

• gt-40.jpg
    gt-40.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 315
  • CAV 1.jpg
    CAV 1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 346
  • CAV 2.jpg
    CAV 2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 310
  • CAV 3.jpg
    CAV 3.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 324
  • CAV 4.jpg
    CAV 4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
sirs, just got my "special' seat from status racing. 18 wide, 34" tall. going to see if we can squeeze this into my cav gt 40, will let you know

Back