selling a car in europe

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill - if you want to send it over I'll drive it all around Europe with 'FOR SALE' sign stuck on it and if I manage to sell it for you I'll wire the money to you.
Only Kidding really - but Autosport could be a reasobale bet followed by the Classic Car Magazine :Practical Classics & Classic Cars
01 February 2007
Classic Cars magazine, March 2007 issue on sale
The March 2007 issue of Classic Cars is on sale from Friday, February 2nd.
These are just some of the exciting features you won't want to miss…

Ford GT40 Prototype tested

regards
Dave M
!!!!

Maxted-Page in the UK has sold a number of original GT40s over the past few years. Check the "Archives" section of their website (Maxted-Page Limited - Home) for photos of the cars they have handled. Perhaps they would be interested in your Mk IV recreation. Contact Lee Maxted-Page at <[email protected]>.

Also, you might contact Burgol (www.burgol.ch), the company in Europe that manages original Mk II #1016, McCluskey Coupe #2166, and other Shelby-related vehicles used in vintage races over there. Burgol is active in selling cars.

And regarding sales of original GT40s, Mk III #1101 is now listed as "sold" on the Maxted-Page website. Anyone know where it went to, and for how much?

suggest u those:

mobile.de - der Automarkt für Gebrauchtwagen und Neufahrzeuge - Finden oder Verkaufen Sie einfach und schnell ihr Auto
AutoScout24 Europas Automarkt für Gebrauchtwagen und Neuwagen (also works with .co.uk , .de and almost all european dots..including .it).

The 90% of Lotus and british cars for sale in Italy comes from mobile.de.
Italians dont speak neither a minimum survival english..but some commerciants or dealers do,and they often buy there, beacuse they wellknow if they are able to show the right car they can ask the price they want (some coragious also sold Tuscan S at 150.000 euros...)
Elegant and exclusive websites can ask u an high percentage over the price,claiming to have great buyers for special cars.
Saw many many scams and false advertisments over our special beloved 40s, cause probably its a too special vehicle indeed (and your one even MORE than others).

Here I've seen a lot of great cars bought at once also in garages ( in Cremona I saw "live" the sale of a 908 Porsche, as well as the selling of some originals Delta s4 B Group, Martini livery....payed cash!), all sold at a realistic price.

Hope good luck 4 u

Paolo

Last edited:

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi Bill, I'd go for a posting in the UK magazine "Motor Sport" - the demographic of the readership is probably pretty good and appropriate for your (highly desirable) car.

Echo advert in Motorsport - also maybe Octane

As well as Maxted-Page I believe Coys have sold various GT40s over the years

Having said that I would have thought the J cars have better visibility in the States

Thanks for the help gents. It seems selling a car like this is hit or miss where ever you go. I may just give it to a broker.

FWIW, I have recently come to know Lee Maxted-Page, because he has gone into business with an old friend of mine, Andy Prill. In fact the business is now called Maxted-Page and Prill, but the old name is used for the car sales website (Andy is now in charge of the service side).

I went and visited their facility back in November, and it's really fantastic. It is located in a couple of old barns on a centuries-old farm way out in East Anglia, about an hour, hour and a half outside of the center of London, not far from Duxford off the M11. At the time they still had 1101 as well as 1080 in there. 1080 isn't for sale; the owner bought it and then lost his racing license due to health issues, so Andy has been drafted to drive it for him. :>)

Anyway--Lee seems like Good People, and you can see that the metal that he moves is all first-rate, and the clientele is quite discerning.

As to whether or not he would consider taking a 'replica', that remains to be seen. I recognize that yours isn't your average GT40 replica, but you would probably have to convince him of that fact before he would consider taking it on.

FWIW it seems that cars in the UK are selling for MUCH more than they are elsewhere, perhaps due to the strong UK pound versus the dollar. You could probably see a substantial increase in your sales price.

As for shipping the car over there, it just so happens that the largest high-end car shipping company in Europe, CARS Inc., is located just over the hill (on another farm no less). I also know the owner of that outfit, as he and Andy vintage-race a Porsche 356 together and I've visited with them at Monterey, Le Mans etc. Should you decide to send your car to Maxted-Page, it would make sense to ship it via CARS if for no other reason than the fact that it's so close by.

Cheers!

FWIW, I have recently come to know Lee Maxted-Page, because he has gone into business with an old friend of mine, Andy Prill. In fact the business is now called Maxted-Page and Prill, but the old name is used for the car sales website (Andy is now in charge of the service side).

I went and visited their facility back in November, and it's really fantastic. It is located in a couple of old barns on a centuries-old farm way out in East Anglia, about an hour, hour and a half outside of the center of London, not far from Duxford off the M11. At the time they still had 1101 as well as 1080 in there. 1080 isn't for sale; the owner bought it and then lost his racing license due to health issues, so Andy has been drafted to drive it for him. :>)

Anyway--Lee seems like Good People, and you can see that the metal that he moves is all first-rate, and the clientele is quite discerning.

As to whether or not he would consider taking a 'replica', that remains to be seen. I recognize that yours isn't your average GT40 replica, but you would probably have to convince him of that fact before he would consider taking it on.

FWIW it seems that cars in the UK are selling for MUCH more than they are elsewhere, perhaps due to the strong UK pound versus the dollar. You could probably see a substantial increase in your sales price.

As for shipping the car over there, it just so happens that the largest high-end car shipping company in Europe, CARS Inc., is located just over the hill (on another farm no less). I also know the owner of that outfit, as he and Andy vintage-race a Porsche 356 together and I've visited with them at Monterey, Le Mans etc. Should you decide to send your car to Maxted-Page, it would make sense to ship it via CARS if for no other reason than the fact that it's so close by.

Cheers!

IMO I would offer this car in the Christies Sale at Monterey. If you want a hook up let me know.

The Christies sale at Classic Le Mans is also a good idea.

Best

Back