Sema 2008

Chuck,
The car got loaded up today according to Casey...its debut is tuesday next week. I'll be there all week for my business and I'll be sure to take pics. But Fran may get back to Michigan faster than I do to Cali, so he may post up first.

See this earlier post....
BT

Any clue as to what KIND of car? Is it along the lines of the SLC, the SLR, or something entirely different?

I'm excited to see some pictures!

Its a one off design...contract says cannot be exposed until SEMA...

We worked from full size tape drawings the old fashioned way...
We did a full scale clay model and made moulds from that....

There are 22 Project Associates (OEM stype suppliers) involved with this "show and go" car ....

Lots of RCR techniques and design philosophy in the cars construction....although its nothing like anything you have seen from RCR....
One of the main reasons we were approached to build this car was the style with which we fabricate and design all our products.....and American cars should be built in Detroit...!!!!

Thanks for the info Fran. So, does the fact that it's a one-off mean that it won't eventually be offered as an RCR model to the consumer? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be awesome based on the extremely high quality that is evident in your other cars.

Correct.....it is not going to be an RCR product...although it was Produced by RCR.

There is a faint possibilty of a limited run of a lesser car with the same style and shape...but that is upto the OEM concerned.

One off concepts car run anywhere on price...

I heard of one costing in excess of 10 million dollars..they quit counting at that point.
It did include a complete engine development plan as a pure prototype too.

It was the Cadillac Sixteeen ..done by GM a few years ago...strangely enough Wayne Cherry was also involved in that one too...

We had over 2000 hours in the build of the final car and that did not include the development work of the clay or moulds..or the initial engineering prototype...
So all in approx 3000hours....PLUS MATERIALS.....

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Nice payday for you when you bill them out though! Hahaha Plus not to mention the exposure for RCR at SEMA, the Meca of the automotive world. Good luck and we can't wait for the pics!!!

Laters,

Brian

Brian - Look carefully at what Fran has posted.This 'product' may be for another company and in that case what you see may NOT be shown as a Race Car Replica car "proper".Time will tell and we all hope that RCR gets the full attention and credit it deserves. AJ

One off concepts car run anywhere on price...

I heard of one costing in excess of 10 million dollars..they quit counting at that point.
It did include a complete engine development plan as a pure prototype too.

It was the Cadillac Sixteeen ..done by GM a few years ago...strangely enough Wayne Cherry was also involved in that one too...

Engine developement I would imagine would cost a huge amount of that chunk, to be honest $10m almost sounds cheap then!

Wait.... are you hinting you were involved in that one too then? :D

We had over 2000 hours in the build of the final car and that did not include the development work of the clay or moulds..or the initial engineering prototype...
So all in approx 3000hours....PLUS MATERIALS.....

So do you charge the Mercedes rate (around £150/hr + VAT) or the Toyota rate (around £50/hr + VAT)? ;)

So if I won the lottery then, how much would it take to have you and your team develope me a car assuming that the engine and transmission used were existing units (although probably more tuned and 'built' so to say)?

Have you dabbled in bike developements at all? Some interesting designs with one piece carbon fibre frames and subframe/tail units, very very hot indeed.

I much prefer the idea of being as light as you can be first, before being as powerful as you can be at a given weight :)

It all depends what the end goal is ..one off or production as they are very different in approach...

I have been involved with some bike development..but on a minor scale.

Carbon chassis are not new for bikes Cagiva did it twenty years ago in the 500 GP class.

Your question is a piece of string type question.....

Do you have a body designed? as that eats up tons of budget and time...hence my SL-C spent 2 1/2 years being tweeked and massaged....

Randy Mamola dubbed that carbon Cagiva chassis as TOO STIFF....I always thought that was a odd statement, I think they were saying it was too stiff in a twisting motion. Which make a little more sence, sort of.

We are really off topic now :)

That Cad 16.....Sweeeeeeet. I like the mid engine job they did just as much.

Randy Mamola dubbed that carbon Cagiva chassis as TOO STIFF....I always thought that was a odd statement, I think they were saying it was too stiff in a twisting motion. Which make a little more sence, sort of.

We are really off topic now :)

That Cad 16.....Sweeeeeeet. I like the mid engine job they did just as much.

Interesting I recall something about (can't remember if it was WSB or BSB) but they apparently used to run one of the SP1's with one or more of the engine bolts removed because of the same problem with the chassis being too stiff.... how much of that is true I don't know...

Anyway, pics? :p

Back