Side windows and IVA

Hi All,
My car is approaching IVA stage and I have a question about side windows.
I have heard that you now must have the side windows installed for the IVA test and the windows themselves must have compliance markings. Does anyone know where to get side windows from with the correct compliance markings?
Would an easier way to get round the problem be to fit wind deflectors and claim that windows will not ever be installed?
The other problem this causes is the wing mirrors - I understand these must be adjustable from inside the car... Will electric adjustable wing mirrors have to be fitted for the test?
Thanks all,
Tom

Tom, the current position is ...... you must state that the car WILL NOT ever have side windows fitted and there must be no fittings/fixtures in place that indicate that windows will ever be fitted. If you fit side windows they must have the appropriate markings on the glass ( I don't know of any source for these). The mirrors must be adjustable from the driving position. As the N/S mirror cannot be reached then this needs to be remotely controllable. Also be careful with the interior rear view mirror ...... a contributor to this forum has just had his car fail because the interior mirror vibrated. All mirrors need to be fully IVA compliant.
The windscreen and rear window must be glass with correct marking. The rear window cannot be perspex.
I recommend you talk to Andy Sheldon at Tornado or Mick Sollis at Southern GT as they both regularly submit customer cars for test and will be fully up to date with the latest test requirements.

Tom, the current position is ...... you must state that the car WILL NOT ever have side windows fitted and there must be no fittings/fixtures in place that indicate that windows will ever be fitted. If you fit side windows they must have the appropriate markings on the glass ( I don't know of any source for these). The mirrors must be adjustable from the driving position. As the N/S mirror cannot be reached then this needs to be remotely controllable. Also be careful with the interior rear view mirror ...... a contributor to this forum has just had his car fail because the interior mirror vibrated. All mirrors need to be fully IVA compliant.
The windscreen and rear window must be glass with correct marking. The rear window cannot be perspex.
I recommend you talk to Andy Sheldon at Tornado or Mick Sollis at Southern GT as they both regularly submit customer cars for test and will be fully up to date with the latest test requirements.

Steve,

I put my SGT through IVA last March to June, at that time only the drivers side mirror needed to be adjustable from the driving position, I had no side windows fitted, and I did not have to state they would never be fitted.

I don't think I was just lucky and am not aware that the rules have changed since then.

Hi Nick ..... the point I was trying to get across to Tom, was that if you are asked if you are going to fit side windows and you answer yes, then it will result in a fail because they are not fitted at the time of test.
Some clarity on the mirror issue would be good. My understanding is that both mirrors have to be adjustable from the drivers position. If someone has a current IVA manual it would be good if they can appraise us on the current wording.
As you are probably aware the IVA requirements are constantly being revised and test centres are not consistent in their interpretations.
It is good that we all share information & experiences as currently there are a lot of cars in-build. Also there are a number of people trying to complete very old kits (KVA etc) and these now represent quite a challenge from an IVA stand point. Recently I showed a guy ( who's trying to complete an old kit) round my car and I pointed to loads of things to which he said 'good', "mines just like that". To which I replied, 'bad', cos that's now a fail.
He was staggered and somewhat disheartened.

Hi Nick ..... the point I was trying to get across to Tom, was that if you are asked if you are going to fit side windows and you answer yes, then it will result in a fail because they are not fitted at the time of test.
Some clarity on the mirror issue would be good. My understanding is that both mirrors have to be adjustable from the drivers position. If someone has a current IVA manual it would be good if they can appraise us on the current wording.
As you are probably aware the IVA requirements are constantly being revised and test centres are not consistent in their interpretations.
It is good that we all share information & experiences as currently there are a lot of cars in-build. Also there are a number of people trying to complete very old kits (KVA etc) and these now represent quite a challenge from an IVA stand point. Recently I showed a guy ( who's trying to complete an old kit) round my car and I pointed to loads of things to which he said 'good', "mines just like that". To which I replied, 'bad', cos that's now a fail.
He was staggered and somewhat disheartened.

Hi Steve,

Link to manual here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/556944/m1-iva-inspection-manual.pdf

Section 8 covers indirect vision and only appears to mention the offside mirror regarding adjustment

11. The obligatory offside mirror fitted to a vehicle with a right hand or central
driving position must be adjustable from the driving seat. Alternatively, if
knocked out of alignment, it must be capable of being returned to its former
position without the need for adjustment.

Note 6: If fitted, an optional nearside mirror may supplement the
field of view requirements of the obligatory mirrors

Bravo Nick ...... I hope Tom, who started this thread, see's the link you posted as that could be vital for him.
I'm going to study the current manual and see if I can get a clear understanding regarding the rear window requirements as this may help John in Essex who's car has been failed using the rear window supplied by Andy at Tornado. This is interesting because Andy has had cars passed fitted with exactly the same window.

Bravo Nick ...... I hope Tom, who started this thread, see's the link you posted as that could be vital for him.
I'm going to study the current manual and see if I can get a clear understanding regarding the rear window requirements as this may help John in Essex who's car has been failed using the rear window supplied by Andy at Tornado. This is interesting because Andy has had cars passed fitted with exactly the same window.

Don't fit side windows ...Or drill any fixing holes ..

As you say Steve so many 40s gone through SVA... IVA ,,, seems now they want to see a glass rear window fitted ,, And the knob still moaned about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

Gentlemen,

I do admire and sympathise with all of you who have to go through the dreaded SVA/IVA test in order to get your cars on the road.

However, please, please, please tell your insurance companies about your alterations back to original looks after you pass your test because if, God forbid, you have an accident and someone or something is injured, or worse, broken or damaged, then the insurance would be null and void because of the car not being as it had been passed and registered for road use.

Be aware of the police also, and pray you don,t meet up with one of the more knowledgable and cute ones. They are out there.

It is as bad, if not worse in NSW Australia, the "Nanny State".
Thanks, I will have to find out what the situation here is for side windows.
Side Mirrors are the same here, electric for Drivers Side.
Must have AirCon fitted here to pass Windscreen Demisting rules.
(Plus it gets hot)

I had to have a glass rear window fitted . The tester still wasn't sure about that . The idiot could not make his own mind up ..

John..

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Glass E marked side windows are now on the horizon.

That's after the full emissions test of course.

We are already having tooling manufactured as we need to be one step in front all of the time.

It just seems that the more rules they make and you comply with, the more additional rules they think up. Maybe leaving Europe will change that but I doubt it.

That's been the trend since SVA was introduced in the 90's.

No matter what they throw at us we will adapt our cars and products to pass the test whatever it costs.

Thanks

Andy

Hi All,
My car is approaching IVA stage and I have a question about side windows.
I have heard that you now must have the side windows installed for the IVA test and the windows themselves must have compliance markings. Does anyone know where to get side windows from with the correct compliance markings?
Would an easier way to get round the problem be to fit wind deflectors and claim that windows will not ever be installed?
The other problem this causes is the wing mirrors - I understand these must be adjustable from inside the car... Will electric adjustable wing mirrors have to be fitted for the test?
Thanks all,
Tom
Hi Tom, I recently presented my car for IVA. I have perspex side windows and bulkhead window also made from perspex supplied by Plastics 4 Performance, they supplied with E marking. The markings required show two things, first is the authorisation number that the supplier has and the other part is the regulation they are complying with. The compliance regulations are different for the side windows and the bulkhead window. If you speak to P4P they will advise what you need, they have templates that I provided them with but the bulkhead window is particular to the MDA / GT Racing chassis but you could also send them a template for your bulkhead window. Don't forget to allow enough space for the rubber moulding. I fitted the windows and also fitted adjustable mirrors, the issue I have here is that there is lots of advice about testing without windows and making sure you don't have any fasteners or such that might indicate the installation of windows but if you search the internet and look at as many images as you like, you will not find any GT40's without side windows, I have to assume that the staff at VOSA testing stations are not stupid. Sure you might find some images of cars without side windows but they will inevitably be accompanied by comments such as "Just passed" or "Hooray". Don't forget it is their game and their rules, probably best to work with them than against them. The rules are there for a reason. I got my car through after the second attempt after some rather small issues were failed first time. I had to accept that I should not expect the examiner to let any issues go no matter how minor, no more than I would be expected to let an aircraft fly with some issues no matter how minor.

Mike Pass

Supporter
IVA is like an MoT test. If it passes on the day it has passed the test as specified. Of course the testers know that the car may be changed later but if they comply on the day as presented then they have passed. One tester I spoke to sees many kit cars from a certain manufacturer and they appear with an IVA compliant steering wheel. Just for fun he puts an invisible mark on the wheel. He has seen that steering wheel more than ten times now.
If you present your car with no side windows then do not have an screw holes which would indicate a missing figment.
I have assisted in a couple of IVA test on GT40 replicas at my local VOSA station in Oldham and I must say that they are very competent and very fair. I have found them to be very helpful and would like your car to pass. Read the requirements and ensure your car meets them and all will be well.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Tom, I recently presented my car for IVA. I have perspex side windows and bulkhead window also made from perspex supplied by Plastics 4 Performance, they supplied with E marking. The markings required show two things, first is the authorisation number that the supplier has and the other part is the regulation they are complying with. The compliance regulations are different for the side windows and the bulkhead window. If you speak to P4P they will advise what you need, they have templates that I provided them with but the bulkhead window is particular to the MDA / GT Racing chassis but you could also send them a template for your bulkhead window. Don't forget to allow enough space for the rubber moulding. I fitted the windows and also fitted adjustable mirrors, the issue I have here is that there is lots of advice about testing without windows and making sure you don't have any fasteners or such that might indicate the installation of windows but if you search the internet and look at as many images as you like, you will not find any GT40's without side windows, I have to assume that the staff at VOSA testing stations are not stupid. Sure you might find some images of cars without side windows but they will inevitably be accompanied by comments such as "Just passed" or "Hooray". Don't forget it is their game and their rules, probably best to work with them than against them. The rules are there for a reason. I got my car through after the second attempt after some rather small issues were failed first time. I had to accept that I should not expect the examiner to let any issues go no matter how minor, no more than I would be expected to let an aircraft fly with some issues no matter how minor.

Hello Martin,
Do you have any photos please? Did you have the toll flap included or fitted it later?

Brett

Back