SLC 001 Build

While I'm biting off more than I want to chew, I may as well take another chomp. The reality is, it might be easier to remove the engine entirely rather than move it back just enough for access to the pulley system. Since I hope to not have the engine out again for a long while I may add another task while I have unencumbered access to the rear frame area.

To this end -
Does anyone have their rear suspension bell crank shoulder bolt available to measure?
Could you relay the dimensions? Or a part number?

Thanks Guys!

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I can easily remove mine and measure for you but I have the later style (aluminum). Is yours the early style bell crank made out of steel?

Well that brings up the possibility the bolts are different, huh. I have both alu and steel bell cranks, currently using the steel. Cannot recall if the alu has a thicker cross section. My plan is to replace and update the two frame rails that hold the rear bell cranks. The rails will be upgraded to .25 inch wall and be rotated so that they are on the same plane as the bell crank like the current chassis are made.

Ken if you're up for it, could you take a pic of the bellcrank pivot area the chassis? It could be useful in checking my design if I could see what insert design (and measurements) the factory uses.

Thank You in advance.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here are some pictures of the welded in spacer.

IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2816.JPG

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of the bolt and a link to the exact bolt.

IMG_2814.JPG

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Thanks Ken, you rock.
BTW: A friend has found your Corvette forum posts very helpful in regards to his Z06.
I can measure the length of the welded spacer as well if needed. I would have already but found my micrometer battery dead...lol

I have learned a lot from the Corvette Forum so I like to give back. Thank you!

Thanks Joel.
Here is what I have so far, since I have no current gen chassis to reference I appreciate the input I am getting. It appears the frame rail should be 60 degrees off the connecting "vertical" chassis beam (confirmed?). Joel, could you give some reference for the distance from the top of the vertical beam to the top side of the bellcrank rail in some fashion? Trying to confirm locale of this part vertically may be difficult to communicate.

Again, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Frame Rail.jpg
    Frame Rail.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 577
  • Frame Rail Insert.jpg
    Frame Rail Insert.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 627
  • Frame Rail Placement.jpg
    Frame Rail Placement.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 665

Joel K

Supporter
Thanks Joel.
Here is what I have so far, since I have no current gen chassis to reference I appreciate the input I am getting. It appears the frame rail should be 60 degrees off the connecting "vertical" chassis beam (confirmed?). Joel, could you give some reference for the distance from the top of the vertical beam to the top side of the bellcrank rail in some fashion? Trying to confirm locale of this part vertically may be difficult to communicate.

Again, thanks in advance.

Mesa, happy to provide any measurements you need. Traveling on business today. I can take some more measurements tomorrow, just not 100% sure what measurement you are looking for.

Is the measurement you want where the green arrow is?
C283A068-A9E5-474F-8E30-47223614D722.jpeg

Howard Jones

Supporter
Mine has a rather thick block of Aluminum welded to the top of the rail. It has the hole for the rocker arm through it. I would think it adds a lot of strength and spreads the loads over a much larger surface area.

Attachments

• HPIM1888.JPG
    HPIM1888.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 623
Mesa,
Have you talked to Fran? I would think they have a chassis jig and would be able to provide the original dimensions and measurements.

Joel, please confirm your green line from post to the center of pivot bolt bore (I believe it should be 5.00)
Also find a more developed Frame Rail Placement drawing. Please provide measurements for A and B.

Thanks

Attachments

• Rail Placement.jpg
    Rail Placement.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 671

Joel K

Supporter
Mesa,

Here are the measurements..

Center of hole to edge of stanchion looks like 4.75”
5003C7BE-FB09-4C8C-8D76-E3C90D580ECB.jpeg

A from your drawing above...
A is 10 9/16”
B is 11 9/16”

Keep in mind, my lower frame rails are about .25” wider than Stephan’s and Johan’s and my upper frame rail is spaced almost an inch wider than Stephan’s. So you may want to have others confirm this measurement to double check.

Last edited:
Some things you wish you never had the opportunity to know....
An aluminum "LSX"7 block and heads, Magnuson supercharger, connected to a Ricardo transaxle, fully dressed with AC, less headers.
765 pounds.

Engine bolted back in car, now for the tedious part of reconnecting every little thing.
20 pounds of stuff in a 10 pound bag.

I rolled the frame rail over 5 degrees more than the factory angle, this put the load coming from the pushrod in a direct line with the bellcrank. Minimizing any side load on the bellcrank bearings. Thanks to all for sending reference measurements from their cars.

Back