SLC 001 Build

Monterey II.jpg

Managed to finish getting the brake fan centerlock attachment devices mated to the wheels. This work was completed just a few hours before leaving for Monterey car week activities last month. Can you say THRASH?

Considering upgrading to Corvette ZO7 carbon ceramic brakes, I'd like to read comparisons between the iron and carbon setups. Now you'd think the Corvette forums would be where to go, so far I have not seen the information I'm looking for. Primary question is - does carbon require less pedal pressure to get the same stopping power? Or give better stopping power for the same pedal effort? Or is the main advantage just reduced weight?

Can anyone out there point the way?
Thanks.

The corvette forums are not really the place to go to get feedback on them. Mostly they just complain how expensive they are, and how they all wish they had gotten a cheap option.... In reality, most of the guys on the forum never track their cars, and probably don't put that many miles on their cars.

Low street mile use cars and/or low number track days cars it is the clear choice. That describes 90% of the SLC's I know of.

Rent a gt4 or something with them for the day, it sold me on them. Much better information on them on the porsche forums. The good is that all the corvette guys want to get ride of them and sets can be had very cheap. It's new caliper and parking brake mounts if you do it, you probably know that.

Hi Rob,
Long time since we last checked in and I have to say nothing but in awe of your car. That is a beast and the wheel fans will set it apart from any other SLC and really just any other super car. I would straight swap the M20. If you know anyone who wants an M20. its available. I love that nobody really knows what it is and putting your name on the nose just adds to the mystery. That is a great credit to you and I hope you get great enjoyment from it. Cheers Leon.

The 917/10 or 917/30KL was the first race car to utilize the 'turbo' fans, IIRC. I have a more aggressive/detailed version drawn in CAD, but have not figured out how to produce them at a reasonable price. Yet.

Neil

Supporter
The 917/10 or 917/30KL was the first race car to utilize the 'turbo' fans, IIRC. I have a more aggressive/detailed version drawn in CAD, but have not figured out how to produce them at a reasonable price. Yet.
The Porsche wheels looked a lot like regular wheels with a magnesium cooling fan from a late-model Corvair engine added.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The Porsche wheels looked a lot like regular wheels with a magnesium cooling fan from a late-model Corvair engine added.
We ran the magnesium Corvair cooling fans as wheel fans on our B/P and A/P Corvettes back in the 70s….
This was before we had the much better carbon fiber brakes. Velvet Touch brake pads were about as good as you could find,

Back