SLC 24 Howard Jones

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
What's left? Make front canards, make diffuser/front brake cooling hose mount, make rear upright brake cooling hose mount, make duct for rear brake cooling hose, bleed brakes, bleed clutch, disassemble car for paint, transport for paint, put it all back together, Adjust everything and do alignment on car.Then I need to find a place to run it through the gears and get brake balance close. After that, fix what is wrong.

Aaron, In the back of my mind I am thinking Willow Springs in October could happen. IF I'm not living in Texas at that point.

I intend to take it to Thunder Hill first available track day once I'm ready if that happens sooner.

On top of all that I need to fix my GT40 and buy another trailer, get my house ready for sale, look for a place to live in Texas while I build a house there. And move....................Busy year...............................

Howard - Given all that you have done to this point this sounds like a piece of cake! Very nicely done, congratulations! Best of luck with all of your upcoming adventures.

Dave L

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dave and Fran. Two steps forward ones step back or sideways gets it done!

I will post a better sound/video of the engine running when I get my friend back over with the Go Pro. It is louder than I had hoped. I will need to do more work on DB reduction later.

Fran, I remember at some point you said that all the shims on the control arms in one direction or the other got you the designed caster settings. Was I dreaming or what's the deal on caster.

Camber and toe are easy (strings, straight edges, rulers and levels) De Vinci tech. But I don't have a simple way to do caster.

Dave, Moving is going to really put a hold on the car hobby but we WILL get this car done (and fix the GT40) before I move. Long term goal is COTA in 2016 baby!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to everybody for the help and encouragement. Keep it coming my friends.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Howard,
Car sounds great! I love the "real" SBC engine!

If you want to do a true and accurate set-up on your car, try something like this:
Professional Camber/Caster Gauge* - Tenhulzen Automotive

or this:
Professional 4-Wheel Alignment System - Tenhulzen Automotive

You may find that your values for caster, camber, and toe will change as your suspension settles-in during the break-in of your car. Going off-track into the kitty litter will have the same effect. Having the capabilities of verifying and/or changing your set-up in the pits between runs on a track-day can be very beneficial.

No matter how much horsepower/weight ratio you have, if your set-up is off, you might as well just go home and save your car for another day......or change your set-up and go back out and have fun.

Just my opinion,
David

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks Dave. I like to tune suspensions. I completely fixed my GTD (no mean feat) and made what was undriveable into pretty damn near perfect, at least for me. I'm looking forward to the setup journey with my SLC.

You can do a really good chassis setup in your garage with really basic aids. I kinda like doing it that way. It sorta makes me feel like I am doing things the way it was done back in the day.

In the end I usually take it to a alignment rack and see what I have. This time I have a aero package to add to the fun.

Fran, Centered means same number of washers on each side right of the rod ends, right . Center the rear also? What does the rear like for caster? Thanks for the help buddy.

Howard:
Congrats on the fire-up! I guess the only way we'll get an SLC in the neighborhood is for you to complete the move.
John

Howard Jones

Supporter
Hey John, how's it going. We were back there to interview builders in January. 8 in 5 days and ran out of time. Thanks for the hospitality when we were there. Next time we come back we would like to take you and the wife to the Salt Lick in Wimberley. We really liked it.

How's the shop coming along. I can't wait to get mine done and move in. Gonna be a busy year . See ya all soon!

Howard Jones

Supporter
As I begin to finish off the last of the parts fabrication I found that I needed to either do the front splitter diffusers now or do the brake duct receivers twice. The duct pieces need to be mounted on top of the diffuser tunnels so that the front bodywork can be removed without disturbing the brake cooling hoses or their ductwork.

After I took the splitter off I was thinking that I want to be able to extend the splitter with a piece of aluminum bolted to the bottom. The bottom isn't flat so that needed to be done also.

I could have pilled the cavity with fiberglass but not only would it be heavy it would be a lot of layers. Then I looked at expanding foam, and that's what I did to smooth the bottom of the splitter. This stuff is two part and it's pretty easy to use. The only thing I needed to learn was to not try and shape it wet, just pore it on and sand it to shape after. It comes off really fast with my cheese grader thingie. Then a I added a layer of mat and weave fiberglass .

The tunnels are made from a form first and then bonded and riveted to the splitter. I really tried to make them as functional as possible. Their angles were determined after talking to a Rolex prototype engineer I met at COTA in Texas when we were there for the ALMS/Daytona prototype race last year. I showed him my car on line and we looked at the nose pictures with out the body on and off. We talked over a hour about tunnel angles and ride height relationships and so I came up with these. Basically the exhaust paths are pretty obstructed but he believed I could gain some downforce in two ways. First the tunnels themselves will create some negative pressure under the splitter and second the added clearance in front of the tire will deplete pressure buildup in front of the tire
that would create lift.

The fender vents, splitter modifications and to be built canards are as far as I want to go at least for now. The big ass wing that others are using that seams to be the best pure racecar solution to the front of the cars downforce question isn't what I want to do.

Anyway here are the pictures.

Attachments

• HPIM2090.jpg
    HPIM2090.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 274
  • HPIM2091.jpg
    HPIM2091.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 252
  • HPIM2092.jpg
    HPIM2092.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 287
  • HPIM2093.jpg
    HPIM2093.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 263
  • HPIM2094.jpg
    HPIM2094.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 315
  • HPIM2095.jpg
    HPIM2095.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 262
  • HPIM2096.jpg
    HPIM2096.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 227
  • HPIM2097.jpg
    HPIM2097.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 236
  • HPIM2099.jpg
    HPIM2099.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 264
  • HPIM2100.jpg
    HPIM2100.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 273
  • HPIM2102.jpg
    HPIM2102.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 307
  • HPIM2103.jpg
    HPIM2103.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 290
  • HPIM2105.jpg
    HPIM2105.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 325
  • HPIM2106.jpg
    HPIM2106.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Working the "to do" list. Front brake ducts done. This isn't as easy as buying some big hose and hooking it up. It took me a couple of hours to get the hose not to interfere with the wheel lock to lock and full droop to full bump. Had both springs all the way loose for this exercise. It wasn't exactly the same side to side either. I think it is the natural lay of the tubing. Whatever, its all good now.

The other little ducts are for the rear uprights. I was able to do them in aluminum this time. New material was the key I guess. Buying new material when I had about a hundred pounds of scrap pieces laying around really hurt. Ohhh........... my ears are burning.

Attachments

• HPIM2117.jpg
    HPIM2117.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 270
  • HPIM2118.jpg
    HPIM2118.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 264
  • HPIM2119.jpg
    HPIM2119.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 310
  • HPIM2120.jpg
    HPIM2120.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 315

Howard Jones

Supporter
Still working the final items on the list. Completed the rear brake ducting and added the scoops in the lower half of the bigger side scopes. Here's the reason I made them bigger all that time ago.

I made a set of upper control arms. I am interested in moving the complete rear suspension all the way inboard as much as possible. That means turning all the rod ends all the way in. When I did this before I had interference with the upper control arm and the pushrod at full droop. These eliminate the interference at the push rod.

And I got to try the tubing notching program. It works and does give you a good place to start grinding. The second arm took about 2 hours to do complete with welding. I added the gussets after I took these pictures. You can see them on the brake pics.

One more thing to make and the parts making and assemble is DONE!...............well for now.......... Then paint body and put it all back together.

Attachments

• HPIM2123.jpg
    HPIM2123.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 234
  • HPIM2124.jpg
    HPIM2124.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 233
  • HPIM2125.jpg
    HPIM2125.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 252
  • HPIM2133.jpg
    HPIM2133.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 250
  • HPIM2134.jpg
    HPIM2134.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 245
  • HPIM2135.jpg
    HPIM2135.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 225
  • HPIM2136.jpg
    HPIM2136.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 235
  • HPIM2137.jpg
    HPIM2137.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 201
  • HPIM2141.jpg
    HPIM2141.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 206
  • HPIM2142.jpg
    HPIM2142.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 243
  • HPIM2126.jpg
    HPIM2126.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 252
  • HPIM2127.jpg
    HPIM2127.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 226
  • HPIM2128.jpg
    HPIM2128.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 192
  • HPIM2129.jpg
    HPIM2129.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 233
  • HPIM2131.jpg
    HPIM2131.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 311
  • HPIM2132.jpg
    HPIM2132.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
What "tubing notching program" are you using?
And I got to try the tubing notching program. It works and does give you a good place to start grinding. The second arm took about 2 hours to do complete with welding. I added the gussets after I took these pictures. You can see them on the brake pics.

Howard Jones

Supporter
That's it. I did have to play with it a bit until I could get printed patterns that were the correct size but it may be me, my computer, printer who knows. After a few try's all was well.

Like I said, good for a small project. Otherwise buy a quality notching tool if you are contemplating building a full roll cage for example.

If I was going to try and build a chassis for example I would invest in one of these.

https://www.jd2.com/c-19-tubepipe-notchers.aspx

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
LAST PARTS MADE AND INSTALLED!!!!!

I made some canards modeled off the ones on the Gecko car. Mine are a little bigger but basically the same.

Next take it all apart and paint it, then put it all back together. While the body is off I am going to bleed the brakes and clutch and do a baseline setup alignment on the car.

Then I gonna DRIVE it.

Attachments

• HPIM2143.jpg
    HPIM2143.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 319
  • HPIM2144.jpg
    HPIM2144.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 349
  • HPIM2145.jpg
    HPIM2145.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 01 RCR SLC.jpg
    01 RCR SLC.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 184

Howard Jones

Supporter
Clutch bled and works, brakes bled and seam OK but without a test drive yet. A little advice here. Bench bleed masters before you start. Doing it completely dry from the start will take hours. Still will work, but much more work for the wife......................

Just for the record. Front and rear masters for brakes are 7/8 diameter. Clutch master is 1 inch. I called CMS on that one but Rodger confirmed that the Porsche slave was 24mm so that and a 1 inch master would be 1 to 1. That was what he recommended. The 7/8 masters for the brakes seam a little big but I'll have to see how it feels when it is being driven smartly. I like a hard peddle. Very little movement. No guess work when you go for the brakes.

Brakes will need to be bled at least 1 more time I suspect. It seams that all the little bubbles need to regroup so that they will bleed out. She'll love to hear that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started the alignment. First I set ride heights at 4 inch's front and 4.5 inches rear. I used a point directly between the pickup points on the lower A Arms on the chassis rail. Then set toe at all straight ahead (no toe in) I'll come back to this when the camber is set. Maybe today. Lots of racing on TV today.

This is all easier to do with the body off. OH! I almost forgot..............Body off to paint shop. Getting real close now.

Attachments

• HPIM2147.jpg
    HPIM2147.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 201
  • HPIM2148.jpg
    HPIM2148.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Well this is what I got with the peddle box. If you want to send me the correct 3/4 go ahead. Thanks Fran. What do you recommend for camber and toe settings. Using R6 Hoosiers. Only track work.

Back