SLC 24 Howard Jones

I think that engine is called "Voodoo".
They were having some oil related issues out there, with one making a large deposit in turn 9, of which Howard promptly went pirouetting in.

Howard Jones

Supporter
It's been awhile. The last installment ended with a melted throttle cable at Willow Springs, I called California Push Pull and Talked to the guy who does product development among other things and he suggested that I use a different cable than what I had been using. It is a different product and it has a 40 degree F higher rating (+350F) than the cable I had before. He told me that what had happened to the low friction cable that was installed and melted was the inter Teflon sleeve that is used to provide extremely low friction to the steel cable overheated. This causes it to shrink much like heat shrink tubing causing the cable to seize.

The new stuff uses a flat wound stainless outer sheath and a stainless center wire that is nearly as good from a low fiction system perspective but is better suited to high temperatures and marine use. The outer covering will melt at its rated temp but until it flows into the center cable sheath it usually won't seize. It's pretty much the same cost being about 10 bucks more for the custom cable I needed.

Then I went max insulation on the cable. Two layers of fiberglass cable insulation and two more layers of reflective outer sleeve. The two inter sleeves are first the 1/2 inch ID that was then covered with the 3/4 ID doubling the inter sleeve thickness. Then I slipped them both into a 1 1/4 ID reflective sleeve and coved it all with another 2 inch ID reflective sleeve.

Here is the stuff:

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ran COTA again last Sunday. The car ran generally well without any real problems. That's a first. I still have a vibration in the steering wheel under hard braking but it is better. I think I will need to turn the rotors and see if that makes it go away. I also have a minor oil leak from the front of the engine. Maybe a couple of ounces over the whole day. I still want to fix it and maybe I will pull the motor and have a good look.

But all in all a good full day without any real problems. Have video and I am working on it.

Last edited:
Ran COTA again last Sunday. The car ran generally well without any real problems. That's a first. I still have a vibration in the steering wheel under hard braking but it is better. I think I will need to turn the rotors and see if that makes it go away. I also have a minor oil leak from the front of the engine. Maybe a couple of ounces over the whole day. I still want to fix it and maybe I will pull the motor and have a good look.

But all in all a good full day without any real problems.
Have you got a short 3/8"unc bolt in the hole at front of block that goes thru to the mechanical fuel pump pushrod, that could be your oil leak. Try a bit more or less toe in at front to see if it kills the vibration.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya thanks Jac, I found that leak years ago. I am running 1/16 inch toe in on each side at the front. ??????

Last edited:
I enjoyed your video! You were idling through the essess faster than those other cars at full speed.
Do you think you'd benefit from a faster rack?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Well to be fair, that was the first session in the morning and there were several new to the track drivers there. The two straights are very fast and since I still seam to have a vibration as the brakes heat, I was leaving at least a hundred feet more than necessary in the brake zones. By the end of the day I was adding nearly full power at the apex of the slower corners and doing them in third instead of going down to 2nd. The thing is with my engine power (about 450HP) once the tires get up to pressure and are somewhat hot I can't spin them unless I'm in second and really try.

This car will always be a lot faster than I want to drive it. I just have to except that and stay in the fun zone. There is quite a lot of time left in the lap but to be honest I am very close to the fast end of what I call my "fun zone". I also am shifting at 5800. The engine part selection and balance spec should be safe to at least 6500-6800 with a max power curve peaking at 6300. So there is a lot left.

I tried a different pad material this time. Wilwood A pads were replaced with their B pad. Not much difference really. I am going to take the rotors off again and have them turned this time, maybe surface ground if I can get it done locally.

Engine sounds much better now with the cross pipe in there.
Looks like so much fun, congrats on getting reliable for a full day of activity.

Can't wait to be able to join you out there!

I tried a different pad material this time. Wilwood A pads were replaced with their B pad. Not much difference really. I am going to take the rotors off again and have them turned this time, maybe surface ground if I can get it done locally.
I don't know how relate-able this is, but we found the pad compound in our Sprint Cars makes a huge difference. We tried multiple brands and compounds and have settled on what works for us. We run the BP-40s in the back (main) and front (left) and when we run an outboard rear we run PolyMatrix Bs in it. I've found the claimed Wilwood compound characteristics to be spot on.