SLC at Mecum

Ya, if someone asks me if it is a "kit" car, I correct them with "component" car. Then continue to add that is is one of the best in the world also in looks and performance with it's own chassis and suspension components and nothing borrowed from other cars.
I have felt this car would be best for trades. I have built cars that were so radical, people couldn't figure out why I was asking 3 times over what the stock car costs. It is hard to value the SLC, because the builds vary sooo greatly. Car buyers (not builders) have a hard time wrapping their head around an additional $60k for what in their opinion is the same car.
In a trade, you can get someone tired of their car, fall head over heels for yours, and if you trade for a car with a book value or known value, you can put the trade up for sale and be able to plant your feet on the price.

I agree with Randy. I think Grant has it figured out. That sounds good. It is not uncommon for someone to pay 100k for a 'tack' car just to run timed events with their friends. That has always been my market and I have had good results selling cars to that buyer.

Oh for an 'r'!:worried:

My question about Allan's car was an attempt to put it in the perspective of real estate, and I think it is a fair analogy considering the resources devoted to these cars. If you all have built custom houses in an upscale community and then I buy a lot and use my time and skills to build a great house and then use the rational that I can sell it cheap because I can afford to take a loss on my time, how can potential buyers be faulted for considering the market value of comparable properties to be lower than actual value? The cat has now been let out of the bag and will run where it pleases. All your good work has been devalued by circumstances beyond your control. Life sucks sometimes.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I just got back from Mecum. If you're a car guy, this is an event you've got to go to at least once. Many, many, rare and amazing cars. Watched the 427 Cobra go across the block for $1.1M, and the RCR GT40 was a few cars after it.

Seeing the SLC in person, they should've taken $80k for it and laughed all the way to the bank. The WORST wrap job I've ever seen on ANY car. The way they had the seats mounted, I don't know how anyone over 5'6" could fit in it.

Kit cars arn't rocket science - people who want to buy and not build one generally know if they hold out they will eventually find one at a fire sale price.

My philosophy is if you won't pay the price i want you can go eat a dick for all I care.

Alex, How do you really feel? By the way, those are my sentiments also.

Randy's choice of component car CRAFTED ............finish it however you prefer has a nice ring. Gets away from "kit car" stigma.

:thumbsup:

I have always found it interesting that the early Shelby Mustangs, assembled (or modified) in a separate off-site, small production format, seem to have a higher perpetual value than the later ('68+) cars that were built right on the line at ford. Even though there were major finishing /quality issues with the 'hand built' cars.

Maybe its obvious that the "Shelby" brand is what made the difference. I love the fact that RCR cars are raced, and seem to be building their own reputation. I am not aware of any other Component sports car that hits that spot for me.

I am just fascinated with the Robertson Racing cars, and the GT-R. I am not sure how that will play out with the new GT racing program from Ford, but it sure feels like its moving in a positive direction.

We could always do what the Asian's are doing in Vancouver BC with housing. Artificiality raise the value of houses buy pretending to sale them at ridiculously high prices the money never exchanges hands at the prices specified its all done on the down low So if you wanna in live in Vancouver and your not in on the game your paying a Million dollars for a three hundred thousand dollar home. Same with these car shows where there selling Heap's of crap for $60000.00 or more you never see the real bill of sale, its all for show.
So from now on if you gonna sell or buy a Custom car tell everyone you paid or sold it for double of what it really was it will help everyone. " Just a thought " wink wink :)

I agree with Randy. I think Grant has it figured out. That sounds good. <snip>

I'd suspect Bespoke is an appropriate term for these vehicles? The antonym would be mass-produced which these most certainly are not.

All you fine gentlemen with bespoke supercars :thumbsup:

Nice diamond tuck and steering wheel. Both pulled from a 1980 go kart. Hasn't this been for sale for awhile though?

Finally read the description- "This is the prototype/concept car for the new Indianapolis SuperCar, ISC-1, a car that will do 0-60 in under 2.8 seconds and go 230 mph. Weighing just 1964 lbs"

How is it a prototype car? Nothing special done to it. The "high end" interior done by the guy who did Warren Buffets jet must have been off the few hours it took to do the interior.
Ya, should have taken the $80k and ran. Fast.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Do I see green grass thru a hole in the floor just forward and to the left of the console...or is it some kind of optical illusion???

Seriously. I can't figure out just what the deal is there. Enlarging just blurs the photo.

10943.jpg

Back