SLC Hubs/ race worthy

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya I wouldn't do ebay for this piece. This last thing I am looking for now is low price. This isn't the part to save money on. The price range on corvette hubs tells you something, doesn't it. Something like $19.95 to $500.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Rock Auto is your best bet. Search for a current discount code and you'll even get a better price than $305.79

It has to be for a ZR1 though. It is the only model of Corvette that got the upgraded X Tracker hubs. The standard Z06 and base model cars in 2009 and up got the standard OEM SKF hubs.

The part numbers I listed in post #18 is the exact part you want (if you don't care about what type of sensor it has)!

I would have bought them but I wanted the passive sensors for use with my Racelogic traction control.

Click on the link below to see exactly what the box it comes in looks like with the GM sticker on it!

FS (For Sale) ZR1 SKF Hub. (2010-2013 C6) - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Please note the early SKF X Tracker C5/C6 hubs with the passive sensors have a black finish on them and the newer X Tracker C6 hubs with the active sensors have a machined finish.

Roger Reid

Supporter
Maybe a bit closer? I need to make some measurements off my car as I take it apart and call these guys to check on compatibility.

Stub Axles

I used (myraceshop), the link you posted, for the rear stub axles on my GTM (C5/6 rear hub). I also used their axles. The appeal for me was the stub axle which allowed me to mount the outer cv joint independent of the axle. Then use an axle with the same splines on both sides making replacements less expensive. Works great but just street mileage so far.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am thinking that the stub shafts might not be a difficult as one would think. Several company's say they can make anything with splines on then including the driveshaft shop and others that I spoke with when I made new half shafts for my GT40. I don't foresee this as a huge problem as I have my old stub shafts and will have new bearings in hand to use for samples in necessary.

This may take some time but a source will be found for stub shafts. I have also been thinking about the uprights. Still working on that one.

Last edited:
Ken,

What is the difference between ACDelco FW371 and RW20131? Rockauto has them both listed for the ZR1 (I'm looking at 2010) and for the same suspension options.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken,

What is the difference between ACDelco FW371 and RW20131? Rockauto has them both listed for the ZR1 (I'm looking at 2010) and for the same suspension options.

It gets confusing because GM sold the Z06 and I think the Grand Sport with the "big brake" carbon ceramic brakes as an option. It would be best to go to a GM dealer parts department to sort it out. All of those hubs look identical in external dimension. It's the internals that are better on the ZR1 only hub. I do know that the part number I mentioned is the exact part to ask for.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ken I called Strano performance 4-12-13. They don't have any more of the hoosier performance type that can be rebuilt. They would have been the answer. Four of those type all the way around.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken I called Strano performance 4-12-13. They don't have any more of the hoosier performance type that can be rebuilt. They would have been the answer. Four of those type all the way around.

The C4 hubs are different front to back. They would have only worked in the front Howard.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
If there's wider interest in a solution I can put together a couple options for you guys. We supply stub axles and hubs, in addition to the transmission components, to several professional racing teams.

One option could simply be a recreation of the existing stub axle with different splines to accept the X tracker. I haven't setup an account with SKF yet, but have a contact there and don't think it would be an issue to supply the bearing, as well as the axle.

The other option could be a redesign around a race bearing and a hub designed for it.

Howard - if you'll shoot me the drawings of the stub axles and a few photos of the axles/hubs I can get a rough idea of pricing and we can go from there if interest exists.
Best,
John

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The X Tracker hubs will not fit on the rear uprights (the bolt patterns are slightly different). The rear uprights only fit a C4 rear hub. New uprights would need to made to accommodate the X Tracker hub unfortunately.

Perhaps Fran could design a new center section to the upright and we reuse the top, bottom and toe arm portions. The differences between the C4 and C6 rear hubs are very subtle. They look almost identical but the bolt pattern is slightly different. The offset is different as well.

Last edited:

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
The X Tracker hubs will not fit on the rear uprights (the bolt patterns are slightly different). The rear uprights only fit a C4 rear hub. New uprights would need to made to accommodate the X Tracker hub unfortunately.

Perhaps Fran could design a new center section to the upright and we reuse the top, bottom and toe arm portions. The differences between the C4 and C6 rear hubs are very subtle. They look almost identical but the bolt pattern is slightly different. The offset is different as well.

See if Fran's interested in doing that. If not, I can have the center section made as long as I have a loaner to work from.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ken, good point. What I was trying to say was the best solution would be if there was a Hoosier performance rebuildable style hub for all four corners.

On the sensors, aren't the 'active' sensors just Hall Effect sensors? Vs the VR sensors used on the other hubs?

Most ECUs should be able to handle Hall sensors. But you will need to power them and may need to shield the wires.

Howard Jones

Supporter
So lets get a basic question answered. Most SLC's are being built as a street car. Given the power people are making, 500-700Hp isn't uncommon, and top of the line tires like Michelins at up to 12 inch tread widths do produce quite a bit of grip, an upgraded rear hub is on the margin a good idea even if the car isn't tracked on slicks.

For track cars on slicks I believe a stronger solution is not a option. The full race suspension available is one answer but for those of us with the original suspension and C4 hubs it is quite a additional expense.

I would like to find a upgrade solution that would suit both car types, high power street cars on very sticky street tires and amature use track cars on hosiers like mine.

The two SKF Xtracker hubs are available it two different spline counts. I can use either because I don't have a need for the electronics. Ken has said above that the passive type might be the choice but I would like to know which would be the best choice for a common SLC FI car with a common gearbox. This is the largest number of cars and would be useful for the future as well as fixing the track cars and older version cars like mine.

I opened this thread so as to put all I (we) could find out in one place. I am going to solve this one way or another but I would like to do so for the largest constituency.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I would say go big or go home. Use the 33 spline X Tracker hubs in the back with the 33 spline stub shafts. If the builder needs a passive sensor like me for Racelogic traction control than we can keep using the reluctor rings that are friction fit to the 930 cv joints.

Back