Small block Ford intake manifold gasket - install dry?

Putting the intake manifold back on after adding an additional vacuum port.

In the past I have used Fel-pro 1262 S3 ("Printoseal") and been pretty pleased - no leaks. I've tended to use a very light smear of RTV on both faces of the gasket, and this seems to hvae worked well.....however, it's a drag removing the RTV next time around when the manifold next needs to come off for some reason.

Do folks recommend installing the Fel-pro gasket with RTV or dry or ?? Prefer to install dry, but don't want a bunch of sealing problems.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Felpro1.PNG
    Felpro1.PNG
    155 KB · Views: 120

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I‘d use a thin skim of Permatex’s The Right Stuff on the face of the gaskets a dob of it in each corner if using end rail seals. I toss end seals in the bin and use a 1/4” bead of TRS instead.
Yes it’s a Pain to remove, but I’ve no leaks since I started using it. Just make sure ever is cleaner than clean with no traces of oil. Let TRS cure for 8 hours before you put it into service.

Thanks Randy, seems like a good approach too. Permatex TRS is good stuff.

Neil - good suggestion.....I actually did ask Fel-pro and they said put them on dry other than a dab of RTV in the corner by the front/rear end rails. Just a little concerned about leaks if installed dry...hence the question/thread here. My car has 8 stack EFI and it's a real pain to remove the manifold if there's leaks....

Attachments

• Lotus EFI6.JPG
    Lotus EFI6.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 110

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
My observation on the SBF is that there is always some variability on manifold fit (especially the interaction of the end gaskets and side gaskets, manifold used, gasket materials, etc)), and that it is never a slam-dunk on whether to enhance the sealing with a sealant or not. I've always had to set all gaskets in place dry, look carefully to see what the end gasket situation is (is it a loose fit that will tighten up, or will they be super-compressed, which may impede the side gasket sealing), and then go from there.

Back