Source for pre 1975 302 blocks

Morning all,

I am in the planning stages of a GT40 build, and one of the first steps is to decide on the engine options.

My initial thoughts are to make a tribute to GT40P/1075 (the back to back Le Mans winner in '68/'69) - I use the word "tribute" rather than "replica" as I know it will never be exactly the same as my budget just won't stretch that far!

However, I do want to get the engine right, so the choice is a SBF 302 (I might stroke it just to give a bit more grunt, but I suspect even this won't be necessary).

As I am sure a lot of you know, in the UK we have emissions tests as part of the IVA process, but for engine block pre 1975 the test is "visual smoke only" - therefore, it is beneficial to get an engine block that pre-dates this (I just finished a Cobra with a SBC and the block date was '74, so just crept in!).

I want to leave my options open in terms of Carb or EFI, so an early block will allow me to do this - I plan on going the 8 stack route, but not sure how the prices compare between carb and EFI as only been looking at EFI to this point.

Looking in the UK, I can only see 1 302 block on eBay that is the date I need, but the price is a tad high at £975 just for the short block, so just wondering if anyone has any tips on a good source for blocks?

Cheers
Mark

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Mark
I looked for ages for mine they are like hens teeth ad really need a crack test to have been done at the very least to make sure its not a duffer. Trouble is that a lot of the cars that supplied 302 blocks are now classics so are not being broken, I did find one in the west country and had it all tested and they rebuilt and balanced to a short block as I went EFI so source my own manifold plus a lot of the ancillaries like water pump are not 302 spec so no point in getting them.
Just keep looking I guess and maybe a few here can help?
Cheers

Hi Mark
I looked for ages for mine they are like hens teeth ad really need a crack test to have been done at the very least to make sure its not a duffer. Trouble is that a lot of the cars that supplied 302 blocks are now classics so are not being broken, I did find one in the west country and had it all tested and they rebuilt and balanced to a short block as I went EFI so source my own manifold plus a lot of the ancillaries like water pump are not 302 spec so no point in getting them.
Just keep looking I guess and maybe a few here can help?
Cheers

Thanks Shaun,

At least I have time on my side, so as you say, think I will keep looking.

Cheers
Mark

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Mark

All of the engines we supply are based on pre 75 engine blocks.

We are also in the process of producing a 1075 kit package which will include all of the 1075 detail parts such as steering wheel, spinners, light package, flares and roof vent etc.

We are expecting to have a car completed by May 2020.

Thanks

Andy

Mark

All of the engines we supply are based on pre 75 engine blocks.

We are also in the process of producing a 1075 kit package which will include all of the 1075 detail parts such as steering wheel, spinners, light package, flares and roof vent etc.

We are expecting to have a car completed by May 2020.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I will look forward to seeing your 1075 kit.

Cheers
Mark

You could extend your search to include the 351w engine, it was used by Alan Mann & Mirage at various events. Fits in the time frame emissions wise being built from 1969 onward. Gets you 49 cu in for free!

You could extend your search to include the 351w engine, it was used by Alan Mann & Mirage at various events. Fits in the time frame emissions wise being built from 1969 onward. Gets you 49 cu in for free!
You also get an extra 50lbs of weight for free and most of it where it's not ideal.
I'm sticking with a 347ci (302 based) as I don't want too much torque!

Early blocks are out there if you're patient.
I've got three of them lurking around to choose from when the time comes.
They all came up on Rods'N'Sods items for sale ..... NOT e-bay!

You also get an extra 50lbs of weight for free and most of it where it's not ideal.
I'm sticking with a 347ci (302 based) as I don't want too much torque!

Early blocks are out there if you're patient.
I've got three of them lurking around to choose from when the time comes.
They all came up on Rods'N'Sods items for sale ..... NOT e-bay!

Cheers Mark

Can you give me an idea what you paid for them? Just so I have a ball park of what is a sensible price?

I’m just in the process of starting a build using a gt forte chassis kit. I’ll source rest of the parts from where ever offers the best item at the right price. I managed to source my engine locally, it’s imported from America. It’s a late 70’s engine so port 75, was very good value and one rebuilt and set up properly I see now issues passing the IVA emission test. I rebuilding it with carbs for a more authentic build.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Phil, you dont need a pre Aug. `75 block to pass emissions. Pre Aug `95 is still easily done. Even the latest emissions is possible with efi. and already passed IVA with Southern GT.

Just to check, it is possible to get a pre Aug '95 block through the emissions test with an 8 stack carb setup? (I plan to go 8 stack route, so if I can avoid extra expense of EFI that would be beneficial)

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated!

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Quad Weber IDA 48 with 6mpg, doubt that goes through. A Holley can. For a Quad Weber replica setup new you still look at £3500ish as Webcon. If you look at other efi 8 stack options its possibly money saved with better fuel consumption.
Look at Tornado webpage for their 8 stack setup to compare.
Did you check with Stateside autoparts?

Best of luck with the build

Thanks Morten,

Will check stateside autoparts - but looks like it might just be easier to spend a little more upfront on EFI and reap the benefits of better MPG as you suggest.

Cheers
Mark

I thought you guys might like this picture of a mirage GT40 aluminum engine that I used to own.
The heads are not correct as they are 1973 Aluminum stock heads I figured they could be ported good enough to work on the engine.
Roy

Attachments

• 2012-04-11_14-42-03_722.jpg
    2012-04-11_14-42-03_722.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 2012-04-11_14-42-22_493.jpg
    2012-04-11_14-42-22_493.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 389
Hi Mark, you might want to call Real Steel in Uxbridge who supplied my 1969 302 block, a few years ago.
Cheers
Roger Allen

Hi Mark. I would hold out for a pre 1975 block and pay what you need to pay , it makes IVA so much easier. Try Ebay USA, lots of stuff on there, just remember to take into account taxes. Do bear in mind, having EFI does not gurantee you an IVA pass because there are many variables such as Camshaft overlap and compression / Valves sizes etc which make a real difference to emissions. Going Pre 75 is going to allow you to do what you want with the engine without worry you might have to change it for the test.
Also , the cost of 8 stack EFI is significant, probably in the region of £6,000 plus mapping. "self learning wideband" is good enough to get you going but not good enough for fine tuning. The MPG saving of say a holley 600 vs efi (3-5 MPG max) will be very low unless you do 30,000 miles a year!
If you want efi have a look at Fitech / Holley Sniper / Edelbrock pro flow 4 which can all be had for less than £2,000 and give you all the power and driveability you need. If your determined to have that 8 stack look, ask yourself if you would be happy with the look once you put filters on.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
So, I've been doing some major cleaning out of the garage (working from home now, and not going out much), and as I can best determine, I've got a 289 (.030 overbore), that has some slight surface rust on one cylinder (will need to go to .040 or .060 over to clean up). Been kept in the garage for the last 10 years after replacing it with a 351W, but due to antifreeze getting into this cylinder on tear-down years ago, that one cylinder has the damage. Cannot determine with any accuracy the depth of the surface rust...just barely catches a fingernail. Anyway, on to my point...It's a short-block, and I may find other parts and pieces for it. Primarily want to get it out of my way, know freight is a distractor to any recipient/buyer, but throwing this out for consideration, but not wanting to spend a lot of personal time for preparation to ship (expect compensation for such). Anyway, I'll send pics to anybody seriously interested. May even throw in an aluminum flywheel with it. Hoping for moderator approval for this post. The block has 289 cast into it, and as best as I can determine, the stroke is close to 2.8? based on rough depth-gauge readings. USA based location.

Back