SouthernGT No8

The Donkey. 302 Stroked to 347. Balanced, Forged Pistons, Stud Girdle, Performer RPM Heads, Air gap manifold and Holley 650 HP Carb. Dyno runs shows 420bhp and 435ft/lbs at 5500rpm.

Attachments

• IMG_6717.JPG
    IMG_6717.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_6718.JPG
    IMG_6718.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 710

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Martin, are you running a 650 double pumper or vacuum secondary holley on that engine? You should enjoy 420 bhp!

Hi Malcolm
I am using a double pumper with manual secondaries. I,m off to the Isle of Man on Wednesday for the Manx Classic Hill Climbs. Unfortunately I will not be taking part this year but should be running next year all being well.

Martin,

Thanks for showing me the car last week, glad to see you have got the engine in your house. I managed to sneak mine into the spare bedroom, all was going well until my wife discovered it, apparently sheds are the place for engines not bedrooms.

Regards

Nick

Hi Martin,

How are you ?

Nice engine. I´m going to use the same carb on mine. Dyno runs are due in two weeks. Will see what comes out of it.

TOM

Been doing a bit while the weather is so good. Mick at Southern GT has done a fantastic job of creating room in his chassis. The pedals are set about 4 inches from their forward most position and I am 6ft tall. The cabin is also wider than my old GTD. The panel work has taken forever but I am a perfectionist and drive myself nuts sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG_67641.jpg
    IMG_67641.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_67671.jpg
    IMG_67671.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • IMG_67691.jpg
    IMG_67691.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 862
Last edited:
Hi Martin,

The shifter mechanism looks nice. Is it a standard Southern piece? Very inpressive panels too, the sill tops in particular.

Troy the gear change is not a Southern GT part although Mick does now have a similar unit available at a reasonable price. Bill thanks for the encouragement I see you car is very nearly finished and looking fantastic. Keep the pictures coming. How are you going to keep all that aluminium clean?

Mick Sollis has been a busy boy recently not only building a car for a customer in a matter of months from scratch, supplying parts and kits but also making a new exhaust system which is copied from an origional car and now fitted to a customers car. In the first picture Micks own car can be seen with the ZFQ Transaxle fitted which Mick has been enjoying over the last few weeks. In the other pictures the new exhaust can be seen close to finishing along side ZFQ box number two. This car will be driven tomorrow for the first time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 839
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 724
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 650
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 761
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 701
Very nice,
What diameter ? is it stainless? Would it fit a SBF with 0,130" raised exhaust ports ( Edelbrock Victor Jr Heads) and 8,2" deck height ?

Thanks
TOM

Mick Sollis has been a busy boy recently not only building a car for a customer in a matter of months from scratch, supplying parts and kits but also making a new exhaust system which is copied from an origional car and now fitted to a customers car. In the first picture Micks own car can be seen with the ZFQ Transaxle fitted which Mick has been enjoying over the last few weeks. In the other pictures the new exhaust can be seen close to finishing along side ZFQ box number two. This car will be driven tomorrow for the first time.

Have to agree - since I am the customer to which you refer - Mick has been incredibly busy building chassis #9 for me. I have nothing but praise for him.

Mick took down a Southern GT for SVA to Southampton the other day belonging to Glen who has just finished his build. Passed first time, well done Glen and Mick. Now you can remove all that SVA rubbish Glen!
Pictures were taken while the car was being made ready for the test.

Attachments

• P7031783.jpg
    P7031783.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 752
  • P7031781.jpg
    P7031781.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 644
Mick took down a Southern GT for SVA to Southampton the other day belonging to Glen who has just finished his build. Passed first time, well done Glen and Mick. Now you can remove all that SVA rubbish Glen!
Pictures were taken while the car was being made ready for the test.

He then doubled his score by taking down joining me with my Southern GT and getting it passed today. He is now off for a well deserved holiday!!

Two piles of rubbish to be made now.

Back