SouthernGT No8

Malcolm

Supporter
In competition there is a blue book requirement buried in there somewhere that requires the oil catch tank. You cannot have the breather system fed back in to the base of a carb for examle. With the bigger engines we run I would go for the 1 litre size as that rings a bell with me too.

Malcolm

Can I run one rocker cover to the inlet manifold and the other to the catch tank, or should I run just one/both sides to a catch tank? Any Ideas?
Done a load of work today and got most of the aircon system in, just need to get all the pipe work clipped into place and at a later date get all the pipes crimped.

Regards Martin.

Malcolm

Supporter
No both rocker covers need to go to the catch tank. Some run separate pipes to the catch tank although I run one rocker cover pipe to a T connector by the other rocker cover and from there down to the catch tank. I doubt how well that would work in practice if you had a major oil explosion but for breathing it works fine and it has passed scrutineering for about 15 years. You could legitimately run a catch tank each side of the engine with one rocker to one tank.

Cheers Frank.
I have a -10 pipe for the driver side rocker cover to go to a catch tank, will that be enough or should both rocker cover be breathed?
Some pictures of today's work.

Martin.

Attachments

• P1030864.jpg
    P1030864.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 722
  • P1030863.jpg
    P1030863.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 645
  • P1030859.jpg
    P1030859.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 665
  • P1030855.jpg
    P1030855.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 657

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well, Malcolm,

It mightn't work any better, but the custom tank may be cheaper!!! You know how guys tend to rack their prices up for this 'desirable' type stuff! Most of the stuff on my car is 'custom', made by me (or Lim) and costs bugger all!

I have a couple of tanks that I bought while in the states last year that will take both breather pipes from the rocker covers and also the gearbox breather. It has a sight tube up the side which should be useful and only cost $15.00.

Malcolm

Had a play in the garage today and sorted the catch tank with fittings and mounts. I plan to feed each rocker cover to it separately using -10 fittings and a separate tank for the gearbox using -4.

Blue book does say the tank needs to be 1L in size.

How's your car coming on Malcolm?

Regards Martin.

Just time enough today to put on the flywheel, clutch and bell housing. Need a lot of bits and pieces to carry on which I will chase up tomorrow.

Attachments

• P1030871.jpg
    P1030871.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 501
  • P1030874.jpg
    P1030874.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 486
Malcolm

Had a play in the garage today and sorted the catch tank with fittings and mounts. I plan to feed each rocker cover to it separately using -10 fittings and a separate tank for the gearbox using -4.

Blue book does say the tank needs to be 1L in size.

How's your car coming on Malcolm?

Regards Martin.

Martin, and any others that intend to CIRCUIT RACE their cars,

for any engine over 2 litres the catch tank must be of 3(three) litres capacity.
MSA appendix G 115 -118

I have regularly been checked for this by scrutineers, who will also expect it to be empty at scrutineering.

Hill climbing and sprints are not so demanding and do only require 1 ltr, which is what you say you have.

Graham.

Graham

Thanks for your reply and the information. I will only be using the car for hill climb's,sprints and the odd track day to start but you know where things end up and I can see me being coaxed into circuit racing.

Regards Martin.

Managed to finally get all the pulleys to line up and fit the alternator/aircon compressor. It took longer than I thought it would and needed pulleys from Mick Sollis to do the trick.

Attachments

• P1030887.jpg
    P1030887.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 522
  • P1030888.jpg
    P1030888.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 495
  • P1030889.jpg
    P1030889.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 492
Hi Brett.
Mick Sollis made the bracket. It has been chopped by me in an attempt to fit the compressor and all the belts but I got it slightly wrong first time around. Having then got the water pump and crank pulleys from Mick it all fitted. I will get the bracket welded on tuesday to remove the washer which are only temporary.

Regards Martin

Martin,
Most of the brackets for the compressors are just fabed to accommodate the type of compressor/enginefront etc. that you have. It is just a matter of using the small amount of space you have with the alignment of the pieces.If you neeed ideas for some I have a collection of photos of the various types. If you would like some inspiration for doing your own, go to
Pictures by Billmusarra - Photobucket
and browse the various albumns. I have lots that I have garnered from the forum.

Bill

Back