SPF GT40 P2129 to be auctioned no rsv.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
This vehicle had 50 miles or less on the odo. This is an extremely poor showing and reflects how soft the market is at this time. It didn't even recover its cost as a roller, let alone the cost of the engine, trans, build cost, etc. Very sad.

Mike

These auctions are not the best place to sell this type of car. In general, the "replica/continuation/kit" cars are looked down upon at the high end auctions. The bidders are not there for that car, it is an "impulse" or "gee, it's cheap fun" type of buyer.

I postulate that this car would have sold for over 90K here or on Cobra Country. That was not the venue to sell a Superformance GT40 or any other non-FAV type car.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
In general, the "replica/continuation/kit" cars are looked down upon at the high end auctions. The bidders are not there for that car, it is an "impulse" or "gee, it's cheap fun" type of buyer
You are being very kind. Only a fool or a used car salesman would sell a car like this at auction.

Keith, I'm going to start sending you my dry cleaning bill or just not read your posts until I put my morning cuppa down.......your response while looking at your Avatar had me in stitches.

BTW, for those that may not know....the two fingered "V" (aka as the Harvey Smith back in the day) being shown by our good friend Keith is like giving the one finger peace sign aka "the bird."

Ah, there is more to the story on this car I'm sure. Who bought the car? Come on tell us. You can always put in a 427 FE and do it right.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I wonder if any of the recent "bad press" that SPF GT40's have received here on our fourm had any effect an the value?

I'm thinking that based on the relatively low vin number, that this was a roller that a dealer had in inventory for a long time with no bites. Ergo, the dealer decided to complete the build just to be able to move it thru an auction. This would explain the use of a rather lackluster engine combo. I just can't see a gt40enthusiast buying a retail roller, using that engine, putting less than 50 miles on it, and dumping it at auction for less than the price of the roller.
Yes, the buyer did get a hell of a deal, but as current owners, its disheartening to see a SPFGT40 devalued like this.
I don't think the recent discussions on this thread had anything to do with the sale price.

Mike

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm thinking that based on the relatively low vin number, that this was a roller that a dealer had in inventory for a long time with no bites. Ergo, the dealer decided to complete the build just to be able to move it thru an auction. This would explain the use of a rather lackluster engine combo. I just can't see a gt40enthusiast buying a retail roller, using that engine, putting less than 50 miles on it, and dumping it at auction for less than the price of the roller.
Yes, the buyer did get a hell of a deal, but as current owners, its disheartening to see a SPFGT40 devalued like this.
I don't think the recent discussions on this thread had anything to do with the sale price.

Mike

Bingo...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Mike

No. This was not sold by a Superformance dealer although the consigner may have been a dealer, just not a Superformance dealer. Trust me, if I had a roller at 2006 prices I would have NO problem selling it ASAP at better than retail.

I postulate that the buyer probably doesn't know the difference in an SPF, ERA, RCR, etc. It was just a neat looking car that was not real expensive........

No. This was not sold by a Superformance dealer although the consigner may have been a dealer, just not a Superformance dealer. Trust me, if I had a roller at 2006 prices I would have NO problem selling it ASAP at better than retail.

I postulate that the buyer probably doesn't know the difference in an SPF, ERA, RCR, etc. It was just a neat looking car that was not real expensive........

I don't know if it's still available, although the showroom is nearby, but here's a MKII below MSRP. Asking $74K:

1966 New Superformance GT40 Mark II at Dynamic Auto West Serving Redwood City, CA, IID 7725357

Yeah, it is that silver one in IL... I think that dealer stocked up on MKIIs when they were first offered and ended up with too many to sell. Then most of the customers ended up ordering what they wanted. I also wonder if there is too much inventory of silver with black stripes MKIIs; those prices have always seemed to be lower.

I believe this car was very well bought. Yeah it'd be nice if it had the big motor but when you consider it has a ZF box, a Roush Motor and their electronic engine management system you've got a bunch of money right there which means the rolling chassis went for a song. Shame for everyone in the replicar family IMHO.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Auctions are a crap shoot. In January of this yr a SPF MK11 with a Rousch small block sold @ BJ for $120K +10% or $132K

SPF's have been selling well on Cobra Country (last one sold for @ or real close to $125K)

Steve P2125

Back