SPF MKI, Bellhousings and all the other little stuff!

Not a problem David, at this point I haven't bought anything but I'm getting some good information. The real journey is about to start in earnest (car should be here any time, I hope) and it’s going to be an interesting ride. Then it should be a great one.

Bob, thanks for your posts and I enjoyed our phone conversation today. I think everyone would like to see some pictures even if there are of the raw castings (sorry it’s the fabricator/machinist in me) as soon as you have a chance to post some. As my car is going to have a “Street” motor I’m sure a single disc would work fine. I'll be keeping in touch.

Hi, all!

If I can figure how to do this, pictures will be attached.

Well, I have tried several times and I get a message that says that the uplaod has failed. I will try again later. Maybe the files are too large?

If any one would like the clutch and the bellhousing raw casting pics, please e-mail me at [email protected], and I will send directly to anyone.

Thank you!

Bob

Hi, all!

If I can figure how to do this, pictures will be attached.

Well, I have tried several times and I get a message that says that the uplaod has failed. I will try again later. Maybe the files are too large?

>>>Yes, that's probably it. You probably have to shrink the photos down to a 'reasonable' size, although I don't know specifically what that size is. I do know that the photos I post are 72 dpi and shrunk down to about 10 inches wide...no problems.

Okay, Bob sent me some photos which I have crunched and posted to my FTP; here you go:

Here's a look at the small-diameter aluminum flywheel:

Flywheel.jpg

And here is how that flywheel looks with a super-duper clutch poised atop it:

ClutchFlywheel.jpg

Now, if we only had a decent bellhousing to wrap this in. Oh, hey, wait, look over there at that pallet? Why, there's a bunch of new unmachined raw castings!

Bellhousings.jpg

Just in case anybody can't figure out what car these are supposed to go on:

BellhousingLogo.jpg

Now, once machining operations are complete, we can insert a pair of metalastik bushings, and a nice screen on the bottom opening:

FinishedBellhousing.jpg

And finally, here's the completed assembly, ready for installation:

ClutchBellhousing.jpg

The best part is, Bob told me I could have the whole thing for half off for helping him post these photos here!

(Just kidding Bob!) :)

Really great job. Thank you so much! I hope that you got home without undue complications!

It was my pleasure. We're all here to help each other out however we can. :)

The trip home was unusually uneventful--just a few small hydraulic leaks here and there, nothing we couldn't handle. :)

Re: SPF MKI, Bellhousings, also NEED Pictures of my new car!

At long last my car has finally arrived at least at Superformance in Irvin California. Its next stop will be in Seattle where I hope to pick it up in a few weeks. If anyone lives in the Irvin area and wouldn’t mind going bye, taking some pictures and posting them, it would be greatly appreciated!!!! You can send the hi-res pics to [email protected]. It will be the Midnight Blue MKI #2197. My brother should be bye there this week but the more pictures the better. Thanks ahead of time.

Well the car is as far as Superformance in Irvin. Frank Liautaud was nice enough to send me some pictures and I thought I'd share them with the rest of you.

Attachments

• 100_0502.jpg
    100_0502.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 586
  • 100_0503.jpg
    100_0503.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 555
  • 100_0504.jpg
    100_0504.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 570
  • 100_0505.jpg
    100_0505.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 541
The car is still in Calif. but at least it's on the ground. Tires are a real issue at this point. There is a rumor going around that BFGoodrich is no longer making the 295/50/15's that are used on the rear. I had to buy a set of 17" wheels and tires just to keep things moving and my dealer was nice enough to offer to take off $300.00. Wasn't that special :flameon:. Well enjoy the pictures there will be more to come.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 445
Tires are a real issue at this point. There is a rumor going around that BFGoodrich is no longer making the 295/50/15's that are used on the rear. I had to buy a set of 17" wheels and tires just to keep things moving and my dealer was nice enough to offer to take off $300.00. Wasn't that special :flameon:.
There are plenty of 295/50-15 tire options available for the stock 15-inch wheels. They aren't great, but they are good. Among them are excellent H-rated Toyos, V-rated (I think) Kumhos, plus race tires from Avon and Hoosier (275/50-15 in the latter case). BFG also makes S-rated street tires in a variety of 15-inch sizes, including 295/50-15.

If the BFG tire you are referring to is the drag radial, that's no big loss since such a tire isn't designed to do anything except drag race, and thus is wholly unsuitable to a GT40 that will be driven in any sort of spirited manner.

If you bought the 17-inch wheels outright, gave up the 15-inch wheels and only got $300 for the set of four from your dealer, you got screwed. Buy them back. Then sell them to me. :)

Sorry but I couldn't find the Avon's in that size, not sure why. The dealer would never have paid for them anyway. As for the Toyo and Kumho's nothing I looked at had matching tread front to back and at best were H rated. I kept the 15"s as I can buy race rubber for them. We are so used to seeing the GT40's with 15"s I think the 17"s make the car look smaller which I like. The Michelin Pilots I ended up with should be nice tires for the car. I told the dealership to find tires for the 15 so after 3 weeks I think they have found a set of the BFGoodrich's which are considered SUV tires. I just think the whole thing sucked as that was a big chunk of my motor money.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Richard -
If you wind up keeping the 17s and the 15s, think about giving us your driving impressions for both at some point in the future. 15s are the way to go on a 40 for all the historic reasons but those 17s look good.

Thanks,
Steve

More pictures as promised. Car may be leaving for Seattle today. Options were midnight blue paint, black leather, and the inside of the doors painted to match the dash. I'm very happy with the outcome. From the side view I'm not as happy with the wheels as I would like but the deed is done.

Attachments

• Front_Side_2.jpg
    Front_Side_2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 422
  • Front_Side.jpg
    Front_Side.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 407
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 438
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 412
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 432
  • Headlight.jpg
    Headlight.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 394
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 371
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 448
  • Engine_Lid.jpg
    Engine_Lid.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 458
  • GT_40.jpg
    GT_40.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 397
  • Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 404
  • Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Thanks Rich for the update on 15" tire sizes. I'll have to check with Dynamic since my MkII is on order. I had run across Hankook Ventus tires 265/50/15 and 295/50/15 S rated. Anyone know about these? What happened to the Yokos in that size?

Back