SPF MKII Ownership

Mike:

Thanks for your timely responses.

Like Johan said, we will be getting pretty much a raw, barely street-legal race car and the refinement and pristine cosmetics we are used to with new production cars just isn't gonna be there. Once we get past that realization, we will be much more content.

In period photos some of the race cars that finished Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring and other endurance races looked like hell at the end. Long-term appearance durability just wasn't a priority.

Bottom line: Who, a few years ago, thought a de facto Ford GT40 would be in reach of the Average Guy?

Although I'm not at liberty to go into it, there have been others with major issues regarding shortcomings of their SPF GT40 roller as delivered. Whether I buy this car or not will depend greatly on the quality and soundness of the item as delivered and the service and technical support from High Tech and Superformance at and after purchase.

Keep us posted on how things transpire with your new baby; we are "all ears."

And do enjoy . . . . . .

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Although I'm not at liberty to go into it, there have been others with major issues regarding shortcomings of their SPF GT40 roller as delivered. Whether I buy this car or not will depend greatly on the quality and soundness of the item as delivered and the service and technical support from High Tech and Superformance at and after purchase.

Alan,

I don't understand that comment....why are you not at liberty to reveal the issues you say exist? It is not fair to state a "problem" but not express it. Sort of like the political callers who ask voters "If you knew XX had beat his wife, would you still vote for them?" They never said XX DID beat his wife but the damage is done. If you have defined quality concerns with the SPF GT, list them.

As to the damaged switch panel, yes, it hurts any owner to see something in his new pride and joy that is not "right". But I am sure that SPF/Olthoffs will make it right. I would not expect that part to be in stock in the US. If I were running the parts operation for SPF at this time, for a new product, I would only stock items that could hold up use of the car. I would not stock incidental, trim or non-critical parts. Nor would I carry parts that will only be required after a major "shunt". These can be sent from Hi-Tech in a matter of days. And if you tore a suspension corner off a chassis or wrapped up a tub, a couple of days of shipping is NOT going to hold up use of the car!

Keep in mind that there is a learning curve for both the factory and dealers with the GT. SPF is known for high quality and I am sure they will deliver in the long run.

BTW, find the CAR and DRIVER review of the GT40 MK III road test from 1967 and see how they SAVAGED the GT's production quality. "Lower quality then the cheapest Falcon" was what they wrote at the time...."Glue all over the upholstery, rattles, etc."
And a GT40 cost over 15K at the time when a new Corvette was $4500.....

Rick
(and yes, I have a very remote connection to SPF, so my comments ARE biased)

(edited for my fat-finger attempts at typing....)

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Frank,

With the new forum software you should be able to upload them to this thread without resizing a thing - the forum will handle that for you. Should make posting photos 100% seemless and hands free.

With any new car, there are going to be issues. SPF makes nice stuff, I'd hope they'd fix you up.

Ron

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mike:

I believe these are pictures of the underside of your car that I took back in June when I ordered my car at Olthoff. I also include a picture of my car from two weeks ago after being taken out of the container.

Attachments

• P1010017.jpg
    P1010017.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 861
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 873
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 878
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 861
  • DSC00995.jpg
    DSC00995.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 911
Holy crap that copper color is downright beautifulrockonsmile . It's almost making me regret my choice of black.............almost.

SpyderMike,

For those of us with cars still on the way is there any advice you might want to give?

Rich.

Alan,

I don't understand that comment....why are you not at liberty to reveal the issues you say exist? It is not fair to state a "problem" but not express it. Sort of like the political callers who ask voters "If you knew XX had beat his wife, would you still vote for them?" They never said XX DID beat his wife but the damage is done. If you have defined quality concerns with the SPF GT, list them.
Mark IV: Check your PM's.

Gearbox lower support mount, retro fitted, would have been better if the correct bellhousing had been used iun the first place. Frank

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 796
New SPF mk1 oil cooler mounting and under car air scoop, as fitted to later Mk1s

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 849
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 787
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 800

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Interesting read - thanks Mike.

I would have thought the rear view mirror issue would have been resolved prior to you getting the car- in that someone drove it 158 miles.....

Very nice write-up and very informative. My MK-II (P2171) arrived a couple of weeks ago and is sitting at an installers shop while we await some sort of notification on the tranaxle. The transaxle was ordered in late October.
I'm not sure how unusual this might be, but I ordered my Superformance GT40 without ever having seen one. So, reading your experience is very valuable. I hope the Superformance forum expands as the Superformance GT40 population grows. The forum will most likely be my best source of GT40 related knowledge.

I have a SPF MKI on order and would like to know if the color on your car is the Superformance Indigo Blue? I have to make a final decision soon as to the color I want. Also I’ve talked to a guy that says that his SPF MKII leaks like a sieve so I would be interested if the new seals someone talked about will already be on my car if it’s not built yet? Great looking car keep up on the posts I’m sure all SPF GT40 owners are very interested. Also for those who have never seen an options list I got this in an E-mail from Superformance the other day. I also got a quote from Jet-Hot Coatings to do my headers after I put in the O2 bungs of $229.00. That was for their standard coating. Are the Willment stripes the same as sill stripes and what does black paint on the doors do for you? Sorry just can't know everything. Does anyone have pictures of the twin stripes with pin stripes? The only reason I'm posting the options list is because my dealer was never able to come up with one. I hope it's useful. If anyone has more to add to the list please post them.

GT 40

Twin Stripes $ 600.00
Twin Stripes with pin stripes. $ 1,000.00
Willment stripe $ 650.00
Stripe Deviation Additional $ 750.00
Gulf Pattern and colors $ 2,500.00
Special Color $ 750.00
Roundels (each) $ 300.00
Numbers in Roundels$ 300.00
Gurney Bubble (each) $ 650.00
Ceramic Coated Headers (Black) $ 850.00
Ceramic Coated Headers (Silver) $ 850.00
Trans cooler MK11 $ 1,300.00
Interior doors painted black. $ 375.00
Sill mtd. shifter Rods Right hand drive only $ 1,600.00
Sill Mtd. Shifter CABLES $ 900.00
Leather Interior -Seats- hand brake & gear lever tunnel- ignition consol plate. $ 350.00
Carter pump dress up kit per pair. $ 150.00
Painted Wheels Special color/ Gulf/ Gold. $ 750.00
Wide tail MKI $ 3,500.00
Narrow Tail MKI $ 3,500.00
Oil Pan NOT AVAILABLE From the factory. CANTON OR ROUSH $ -
Fuel cells not original $ 3,825.00
Painted Quick lifts each $ 85.00

Last edited:
Yes I've been told that you can see daylight between the door and the top. I don't have a car yet so maybe I shouldn’t have said anything. If there is a fix for that I will pass it on. I've read that the drivers of the race cars would sometimes come into the pits sitting in a couple of inches of water so I hope we don't have the same problem considering the SPF GT40 is so close to the original. I also don't anticipate driving my car flat out in the rain as I’m sure that would exacerbate the issue. I found the color of your car in another thread. Indigo Blue may be my color as it will save me $750.00. Beautiful.

Last edited:
Alan, I believe Richard is referring to the door seals.
O.K.

I know that an issue with the (now discontinued) Ford GT's was that if it had been raining, water would pool in the top door seals and when you opened the door the water would dump on the seats.

But, hey. We're getting a race car, not a practical daily driver. (Did Dan Gurney let a little water bother him?) ;)

Since, like all race cars, these will have absolutely no rust-proofing, I plan on avoiding driving mine in wet weather. (Not a big problem where I live.)

Last edited:
Back