Steves scratch KVA

rockonsmileJust a quick note to let you know where I'm at. Last Friday I was finaly able to drive the GT around the block. I don't have any mufflers attached at this point so I had to make it short but after a brief warm up the drive went off without a hitch. I was supprised at how comfortable the driving position was and that the feeling was more like a Kart than a car. I will be installing the lights this weekend and starting the wireing for lights, fans ect... so hopefully it will be road worthy this year.

Steve

:happy:Success! I went to the State patrol on Monday for the VIN inspection and to the DOL yesterday and now have a licensed GT40. Since I built it from scratch and the stars and moon lined up just right my car is registered as an "assembled" 1966 GT40. I will get historic license plates in the mail in a few weeks and it will never need tabs or emission testing. I have a few things left to finish before it's ready to just get in and drive but I did go around the block with my son for the first legal drive and boy did it feel good. I have been working on this for eight years (lot's of business travel and life got in the way) but it is about to become a toy rather than a hobby. I will take a few pictures when I get back from a business trip and post them. Thank you all for your kind words and support during this process, there was more than one time explosives and a match seemed like the best action but then someone would call and put things in perspective.

Steve

Steve,

Incredible!!! Beautiful!!! Impossible!!! all those neat things. Congrats!! Going from Hobby to Toy is such a big step. Becarefull of the post partum depression thing. You will find yourself looking for another project if your not carefull. It is one of the most beautifull scratch builds I have seen. You are a master!!

larry

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Steve,

HUGE accomplishment - and that includes the registration on the car.

For those who haven't run the gauntlet of vehicle registration in the State of Washington, what happened to Steve is nothing short of a miracle. Historic plates? YEAH BABY!! :2thumbsup:

Well done!

Thank you Larry, you are very kind. I was working on a Midget Mustang and have finished the airframe except for the ailerons and flaps. I think I will get back to that this Winter. I am also racing a 1973 Maico 400 in vintage Motocross so that should take some quality time. I will very much miss the problem solving aspect of this project though.:thumbsup:

Steve

Thanks Tim,
I can't wait to get with you and Chris and Neal for a road trip, that will be a dream come true to get out with friends that all have such a passion for the same thing. Hope Washington can handle four GT40's all at once. I wonder what the liability would be for the accidents we cause from people taking pictures while driving?

Steve

My plates came in the mail today and I put them on before someone changes their mind! I did drive it today on two seperate drives and everything works fine. I did need to put a return line from the radiator to the header tank so I did that which made purging the air much easier. Even just driving easy (since my engine is new) I kept the RPM under 4500 and it goes like stink. This was definately was worth the wait.:thumbsup:

Steve

Steve,

I have a KVA and am happy to see your progress!

What kind of transaxle are you using?

John
:thumbsup:

Hi John,
I should put a spec sheet together for all these kind of questions. I'm running the Audi 016 5N. How long have you had your car?

Steve

Hi John,
I should put a spec sheet together for all these kind of questions. I'm running the Audi 016 5N. How long have you had your car?

Steve

Steve,

I've had it about a year and a half - its a 25 year project! I have a Porsche 930 transaxle - I didn't think the Audi could reliably handle all the torque.

John
:thumbsup:

Steve
Super job!
I have been working on my build about the same amount of time, but I have to say you really did a job there.
Now that you have your plates and registration for a 1966 year car do you really need those pesky mufflers?
Best of luck and enjoy your ride
Cheers
Phil

Steve,

Way to go - must feel great to have her on the road and not a permanent fixture in the garage. Persistence pays!

Add me to the list of WA state 40 owners - I'm in Seattle here. Happy to let you take my car for a drive anytime or just take a peek under the bonnet to compare.

Best,

Cliff

Hi Cliff,
were you at Pacific Raceways on Saturday? I saw a metallic blue CAV parked under a tree. As soon as I get a few miles on her I would love to get together for a short road trip.:thumbsup:

Hi all,
I have put about fifty miles on the GT in the last few days and so far everything seems to be functioning fine. This is even better than I thought it would be and makes the years of toil worthwhile. The attached photo is my son and I going out on a run with the GT and his 1988 Honda Prelude.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• GT40 pictures 63007 050.jpg
    GT40 pictures 63007 050.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 436
  • GT40 pictures 63007 052.jpg
    GT40 pictures 63007 052.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 376
I finally finished painting the last part a few nights ago and it was a real tough job. Now I'll have to sand and buff it out but I think I'll wait for the weather to turn bad and just drive it for the remainder of the Summer.:thumbsup:

Steve

Attachments

• ATT4142633.jpg
    ATT4142633.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 279
  • ATT4144833.jpg
    ATT4144833.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 319
Hi Cliff,
were you at Pacific Raceways on Saturday? I saw a metallic blue CAV parked under a tree. As soon as I get a few miles on her I would love to get together for a short road trip.:thumbsup:

Hi Steve, sorry to be slow to respond here - yes, that was my car under the tree at Pacific Raceways. Definitely like to connect. I'm located on Sand Point Way just up from Warren Magnusen Park.

I will give you a ring re: 016 - it has been crazy busy on my end the last couple weeks.

Best,

Cliff

Back