Superlite Aero

Cool. I recently joined NASA and got my provisional license last year. Haven't done much with it yet. Mostly TT and HPDEs just getting more seat time. I'd like to race in the NP class next year, at least at Thunderhill. If not NP then I will do a few more TT sessions. Hope to see you there.

Well, I finally got the Aero on track! October 14th we had a test day at Buttonwillow. The car has a ton of power. Excellent brakes, fantastic steering. The Motec electronics are awesome, and ergonomically I fit quite well in the cockpit. It took a few laps to get my head around how to drive it compared to my formula car, but once I got heat in the tires it came alive. We need to add some cooling ducts for the oil cooler so we'll do that in the next few weeks. But all in all I'm very pleased with the car. The St6-M shifts like a dream, and the LS3 sounds and feels great. Needless to say I look forward to getting it on track again! Here's a lap around Buttonwillow in my Aero. Enjoy the ride. :)

Aero at Buttonwillow

Last edited:

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
John,

Great video. I have a ST6-M and MoTeC for my SL-C. Did you go with manual or paddle shift? If paddle shift, how much effort was it to tune the shifts? What clutch did you use? I was originally going to go with a Tilton 7.25", metallic, triple disk, but it's my understanding that it's bit too binary (i.e., abrupt) for the street so I'm considering going with a custom triple-carbon clutch from RPS.

Awesome videos John. That 360 out of riverside was sweet! I've only driven that configuration for a few laps. Man the car is fast through the esses. Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing.

John,

Great video. I have a ST6-M and MoTeC for my SL-C. Did you go with manual or paddle shift? If paddle shift, how much effort was it to tune the shifts? What clutch did you use? I was originally going to go with a Tilton 7.25", metallic, triple disk, but it's my understanding that it's bit too binary (i.e., abrupt) for the street so I'm considering going with a custom triple-carbon clutch from RPS.

Hi Scott.

Thanks and yes, I have a paddle shift system - specifically ShifTec paddles and actuator. I purchased my Motec stuff from Veracity Racing Data and Dave does all the tuning so I can't say how long it took him to get it working but I don't think it was too long - he knows his way around Motec as well as the guys from Motec. ;-) I checked and yes, my car has the Tilton 7.25" clutch and it seems up to the task.

Awesome videos John. That 360 out of riverside was sweet! I've only driven that configuration for a few laps. Man the car is fast through the esses. Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Ken. Needless to say I've learned that the throttle in this car is not an On/Off switch! :) I've raced at Buttonwillow several times but had not been on that configuration (1CW) before. There's still more time to be had but yes the esses are a hoot!

Hi Scott.

Thanks and yes, I have a paddle shift system - specifically ShifTec paddles and actuator. I purchased my Motec stuff from Veracity Racing Data and Dave does all the tuning so I can't say how long it took him to get it working but I don't think it was too long - he knows his way around Motec as well as the guys from Motec. ;-) I checked and yes, my car has the Tilton 7.25" clutch and it seems up to the task.
I am a new member and recently purchased an Superlite Aero. I was hoping to connect with you and hopefully other owners to pick your brain on a few things I have read before completing my car. Is there a way I can contact you?

Thanks for sharing the vid John, a real treat to finally see an Aero out in the wild !
'Enjoyed' your spin in Sunset, I did a similar thing on my then brand new first-time-on-track GSXR1000 superbike. In my case it was a to-the-stops slide save rather than a perfect 360. Love the use of Mazda Star corner, that config hardly ever gets used for Motorcycle races.

I picked up a 3 liter sports racer for track use, but have not managed to get it on track yet. Will be my first foray on track in a purpose built road racing car - can't wait.

Hi everyone, i'm italian my name is Daniele, i would like more info about superlight slc expecially for street registration. does anyone know if it is possibleto register it in italy? thank's a lot.

Johan

Supporter
Hi everyone, i'm italian my name is Daniele, i would like more info about superlight slc expecially for street registration. does anyone know if it is possibleto register it in italy? thank's a lot.
Daniele, nobody here will be able to answer your question. You have to contact your DOT in Italy to figure this out.
Since it differs a lot between the European states when it comes to registration, you just have to check with your own regulation.

I think we can repeat what Fran has said.... No way it's street legal. No mso., no dot glass, no dot headlights, way too low.

However, he said similar about the nemisis and I think someone out one on the road eventually. Search the forums, there is a thread about the nemsis.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I think we can repeat what Fran has said.... No way it's street legal. No mso., no dot glass, no dot headlights, way too low.

Bob- It appears the question was about the SLC, not the Aero:

i would like more info about superlight slc expecially for street registration. does anyone know if it is possibleto register it in italy?

Daniele- I would recommend chatting directly with RCR to see if they have had international SLC customers who could point you in the proper direction.

I don't know about production numbers, but I've been racing my Aero R with NASA here in Utah since May. I've got one more race weekend with them this month and then we qualify for the National Championships at Daytona in September. We're in the midst of several changes to the car in anticipation of that event and are looking forward to seeing just how fast we can go there.
MillerSatQualGrid cropped1.jpg

Wow the Aero looks awesome. Can it run times close to a lmp3 car ? I’ve seen a Ligier LMP3 run in nasa unlimited and won some races. I think the aerodynamics on lmp3 is designed for very low drag since they’re made to run endurance races where fuel efficiency matters.

No, it won't keep up with a Ligier LMP3 car - those are lighter and handle better than the Aero. There is still a lot of tuning to be done with the Aero chassis. As for the SU class, once I learned that I am running with cars that are 3x, 4x or even 5x the cost of my car I decided I wasn't going to focus on 'wins'. Thus far the car has been a blast to drive and the game now is about extracting the performance out of it. Suffice it to say that come next year we'll know a lot more than we do now.

Does anyone who raced in NASA SU this past weekend ? There’s some footage of the race here
(skip to 4:20) unfortunately there’s not much footage of the Aero except for in a few shots. Would be nice to see some onboard action.

Back