The gurney bubble, what direction?

I really don't want to screw this up and I have searched for original pictures but couldn't find one. How does it go on? Mine is shaped like a tear drop. Should the point be forward or backward? :confused:

Dean.
Pointed end goes to the rear , think of it as the x-section of an aircraft wing, round leading edge, thin /sharp trailing edge.

Jac Mac

Dean , just happened across a photo of 1084 at lunch today and guess what, the 'gurney' bubble on that particular car is 'pointed' end fwd. That is the only tear drop shaped one that I found fitted like that though.

Jac Mac.

I understand that the pointed end goes forward,otherwise the narrow end would be where your helmet is and that would not help much.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
A picture of the real deal at The Henry Ford.

Attachments

• J4_1.jpg
    J4_1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 571

Ron Earp

Admin
A fellow on Club Cobra took delivery of nicely optioned GT40 that has a special option of two bubbles, post is here:

It's Here --- Almost - Club Cobra

He claims the bubbles are on backwards. I don't know for sure, as the original GT40 I've seen with a bubble had a symmetric bubble, not a tear drop bubble. Aka Chuck, I would think you'd want the room the bubble provides over your helmet, which would mean at the back side of the door not the front side. The car on that thread seems to have the "room" created by the bubble way up front, not over where your head would be with the seat layback angle.

I'll bet you can look hard enough and probably find examples of each type though fitted to cars over the years.

R

I just pulled out my book "The Ford that beat Ferrari - A racing history of the GT40". Nearly every page that has the "Gourney Bubble" on it has it's "Point" to the rear of the car, and it is teardrop shaped. The round portion of the tear is facing forward. Page 127 shows it very clear in an overhead shot. Page 117 shows it again, with the door "eyebrows" as well.

In a much earlier shot of the same car, the bubble was circular.

As the debate continues, pictures are worth a thousand words. It was circular, it was tear shaped, and it was facing backwards.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
In a much earlier shot of the same car, the bubble was circular.

Well, legend has it these cars were changed in many ways during their racing use and were never all the same to begin with. Whichever way it goes, for me, it's the first thing I see when I visualize a GT40, even more so than a Gulf livery paint job. I understand the most famous of the Gulf painted cars (#1075??) never sported a bubble, but for me it's part of "...the look". The Gurney Bubble, the way the tail flips up, the doors that extend to the middle of the roof, certain features define a GT40 from that first vision we all had. The bubble is close to the top of that list for me.

For some reason, though, in that way-back dark corner of my mind, I'm visualizing it round portion forward. Logic tells me, though, that Gurney wouldn't have been able to use it much if it were that far forward.

Doug

J-6,

I can't quite make out the bubble on the van, there's some crazy yellow car in the way.... :D

Thanks again for sharing another picture of her!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for reminding me, Ron. I see I even posted in the thread, so I can't say I didn't see them.

The only excuse I have is "...I've slept since then"

Dugly

Back