the Steinard MK3 takes shape

Hi Russel, well that all depends on the tyres , cross plys as on the mk1 i run 1/2 deg neg camber, with 2mm toe out and 6 deg caster. the rear from memory has 1mm toe in, 0 deg camber. if i was running radials i would run a little more camber, the amount determined by tyre temps.

hope that helps mate.

kaspa

started on the cockpit surround today, and now i no why i was never a sheet metal worker, have a few little blemishes but nothing to major that cant be hidden, and i put a couple of forward stays on the roll hoop, just in case.

getting there slowly

kaspa

That's really starting to take shape and looking good. Just looking at the shape of the surround there reminds me of the M16 Indy car and M23 F1 cars look at some photos John they may give you some ideas that aren't that far off what your visualizing anyway.
Progress report: all the shafts are back for Mr Howat and I will be setting them in the case this week so I can sort the shift rails, The Axles for the uprights will be done on Friday and the upright patterns will at the foundry this week, Picked up some brake rotors today. I can get a 320mm in the wheels I'm doing with the Wilwood calipers. The rotors I have are HSV Senators. 328mm and they will fit my wheels.
Give me a call.

Cheers Leon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
That's really starting to take shape and looking good. Just looking at the shape of the surround there reminds me of the M16 Indy car and M23 F1 cars look at some photos John they may give you some ideas that aren't that far off what your visualizing anyway.
Progress report: all the shafts are back for Mr Howat and I will be setting them in the case this week so I can sort the shift rails, The Axles for the uprights will be done on Friday and the upright patterns will at the foundry this week, Picked up some brake rotors today. I can get a 320mm in the wheels I'm doing with the Wilwood calipers. The rotors I have are HSV Senators. 328mm and they will fit my wheels.
Give me a call.

Cheers Leon.

Glad to see you're back in the saddle again mate.

Hey Terry,
Been hard at it the whole time just not posting much. The trans and other stuff is taking my time although I have done some more work on my body. Concentrating on Johns tranny and uprights so I can hopefully get them done for Christmas. He is going so well that I will be holding him up soon. Good to see you still watching and great photos of the car at your work the other day, did you take your work mates for a spin.

Cheers Leon.

Hi John,

Got the main shaft installed today with the input shafts all done, the pinion shaft is next, so the last part of the puzzle to make is the end of the pinion shaft that carries the QC gear. photo's soon.

Cheers Leon

I just noticed it was Nov last year i last posted on the rocket, well a little bit has happened since then, I had to redo the roll hoop because my mate couldn't fit his big shoulders inside it, and the body work is almost fully complete, i cant fit the tops onto the side pods just yet though as the fuel tanks have to go in first. also the engine is now complete minus electrics, all i need now is the trans and i can finish the rear and put it down on wheels.

cheers Kaspa

Last edited:
Kaspa
I am a changed man....I went to the Kumeu Hot Rod show a couple of weeks ago and there was a stand there with LS1 engines on display so had a good nosy around and liked what I saw, particularly the price as I could not put a Rover together for the price he quoted delivered to the door. Got a few months left on my car before I can start on a new project which I hope will be for a friend. Moulded the nose being final part from the buck and breathed a sigh of relief when it finally popped off. Been a big process doing it from scratch but almost ready to actually make my final body.
All looking good on your project, bet you cant wait to fire it up.
Cheers
Russell

Russel thats the very reason i chose this route, their light, compact, cheap to buy and produce reasonable hp in stock form , but the aftermarket parts for them is amazing. and if you get one from an ex commodore you can use the orig ECU, as they are easily unlocked and very tuneable. my dyno guy informs me that even with the ITB's its not a problem, so that just saved me a small fortune..

and on a side note a mate is hoping to get his hands on a nice M6 body, so you never no there might be one more after this, maybe.

cheers Kaspa

I like what I see there John. I have to say I like the wedge front, are you going to have wings rather than the clip you were doing a few posts back? my personal preference would be wings, more M23 like and with that paint job (75 World F1 Champion) comes to mind.

Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Kaspa
I am a changed man....I went to the Kumeu Hot Rod show a couple of weeks ago and there was a stand there with LS1 engines on display so had a good nosy around and liked what I saw, particularly the price as I could not put a Rover together for the price he quoted delivered to the door. Got a few months left on my car before I can start on a new project which I hope will be for a friend. Moulded the nose being final part from the buck and breathed a sigh of relief when it finally popped off. Been a big process doing it from scratch but almost ready to actually make my final body.
All looking good on your project, bet you cant wait to fire it up.
Cheers
Russell

Yeah, you'll forget about the motor you're using now once you get some experience with the LS series motors. I've been a Ford man all my life, but these motors are just too simple, too cheap, and too easy to get good HP out of.

I've been a Ford man all my life, but these motors are just too simple, too cheap, and too easy to get good HP out of.

Terry i never thought any one would convert me either, but the numbers speak for themselves. its a no brainer.

kaspa

and on a side note a mate is hoping to get his hands on a nice M6 body, so you never no there might be one more after this, maybe.

Oops typo error on my part, should read M1B, Mmmm might have to sell the 5000.

kaspa

Back