This is what I'm looking at...

This is what I\'m looking at...

Not this year but maybe next year, we've won the 12 hour in the past but my goal is to run a GT40 in the 25 hour.

Wouldn't that be cool?
03/03/03

For Immediate Release

Richmond, CA. The National Auto Sport Association (NASA), announces the creation of the longest endurance road race in the United States. The race will last for 25-hours, non-stop. Teams will converge at the Northern California facility on December 6th-7th, 2003, at Thunderhill Raceway Park. The 3-mile raceway is located about 2-hours north of San Francisco, in Willows, California. http://thunderhillraceway.com

This event has been gaining in popularity over the last six years as a 12-hour long race. This year there will be a new twist. "Because we want retain the tradition of the 12-hour race, for our regular competitors, we will still run the 12-hour endurance ?inside? the 25-hours race," commented Jerry Kunzman, NASA?s Executive Director.

The race will begin at 10AM on Saturday, December 6th. Those competitors entered in the 12-hour portion will be brought in at 10PM, meanwhile the 25-hour race competitors will continue to race until 11AM, Sunday December 7th. There will be an awards luncheon ceremony at 12-noon following the race.

"This should be a bookmark in the annals of road racing history," remarks Jerry Kunzman. He continues, "I have been getting calls from team owners, and from the media around the country, and as far away as New Zealand, about this history making event. The idea is to put the teams to a challenge, while drawing competitors and press from around the country. There is no closed-circuit road race this long, anywhere in the world. NASA is the only one bold enough to do this."

The track will offer testing on Friday December 5th, 2003 and there will be a brief nighttime qualifying that night, ending at 6PM. A press conference will take place at 7PM at the track, where team owners will be on hand for interviews, as well as the event?s top brass.

It is expected that over 90 teams will enter this event. This would mark the largest starting field in history as well. Teams consist of multiple drivers, as well as typically 6-8 crewmembers, and another 2-4 support staff. Each team must plan a careful strategy in order to win the race. "It?s not about how fast you can drive, so much as it is how long you and your equipment can hold up," commented Alex Dunbar, a crewmember on one of the top teams from last year?s 12-hour race. Dunbar says that his team is "psyched up" for the enormous challenge of winning the world?s longest race.

Ceremonies, dedications, and driver?s meeting will be held just before the start of the race, on Saturday morning. Media passes are available through the national office. The public is invited to watch this history-making event. Gates open at 7AM and admission is only $10; children 12 and under are free. For more information call the national office at 510-232-6272, or check for updates at http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal

Re: This is what I\'m looking at...

Jerry has always been good at coming up with something different to put on a show (& promote NASA). Like running Thunderhill in the reverse direction. He was talking once about having people race their transport vehicles.
smile.gif

Back