Thoughts on fuel inertia switch?

When I built my cobra I put one. im Most likely putting one on my 40 but just curious to if any one else is running one on there’s?
thanks

Neil

Supporter
The SCTA requires an inertia switch on cars or bikes that run an electric fuel pump. I use an impact switch from a Ford in my car. I think it opens at about 20Gs. If you are involved in a crash- even on the street- and are knocked unconscious, you don't want the electric fuel pump to keep running. You are in enough trouble already-- you don't want to be awash in gasoline as well. :eek:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I ran one from a Ford Mustang in my Cobra racecar. There’s a lot of speculation as to proper placement in a race car. Some guys put theres in the tail end of the car like Ford did. I put mine at the bottom of my instrument panel. Some of the guys found that the switch could be a little trigger happy when lightly tapped by a car from behind.

I’m running the Ford in my cobra aswell,I have in the back in trunk. I bought another for my 40 build was just curious as to how many people have it in there’s.going through many build threads here it looks like not many.

Neil

Supporter
My car has no trunk, it's a mid-engine layout. I mounted my impact switch on the right side of my cockpit; this way, if it trips accidentally I can push the reset button from the driver's seat.

Neil is on it. In my Cobra, I installed the Ford switch in the trunk. It tripped on the track, requiring a tow-of-shame back to the pits. In my GTM, it's in the center console within reach.

The amount of impact to trip the switch does very , I'm pretty sure I saw one mounted on the left just below the drivers knee on a Ford mini van 2005 or so. I'd have a look around the junkyard for different mounting points , for personal safety I would mount the switch in arms reach.

As mentioned a few above. I agree to keep within arm reach. Never really thought about that. Didn't think there that sensitive as i havnt touched mine in cobra since installed.
Thanks

Malcolm

Supporter
I have a 10g switch mounted on the chassis by the door hinge behind the dash. From a Jaguar I beleive but can't remember which one. Only ever triggered once when spun off a track during a competition and went across some very rough ground at speed! Not a lot of effort to fit and a good safety feature to have I think.

Back