Top Gear USA

Just watched the premiere episode of Top Gear USA. Not the best start to a new show I have to say. If you have never seen the UK version you may like it, otherwise...

Fran: Any chance we'll see an SLC on the show this season?

Very weak show compared to the UK version. Very disappointed. . . but hey. . . not like the UK version is going away.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Simon is spot on. I don't know anybody that watches it now. It's used to be a sort of silly audience thing with one or two smart tarts pushed to the front. May seems to be coming out of it with street cred but the other two are screen whores. It's become a program for the tossers here in the UK.

Malcolm

Supporter
We still enjoy it in this house although agreed format is getting old now. Most showings here are repeats now. BBC2 is turning into DAVE!

If the reaction here is a surprise then you should see what they think of the show over on the Stratos forum.........

I agree.......James May seems to be the only one with any cred on the show. If you want a decent review on a car from someone with the experience to provide an informed opinion then Fifth Gear is better.......at least Jason Plato and Tiff Needell are proper car guys.

For the USA, I think Jay Leno should do a motoring show.......at least then it would be interesting, credible and entertaining!

If the reaction here is a surprise then you should see what they think of the show over on the Stratos forum.........

I agree.......James May seems to be the only one with any cred on the show. If you want a decent review on a car from someone with the experience to provide an informed opinion then Fifth Gear is better.......at least Jason Plato and Tiff Needell are proper car guys.

For the USA, I think Jay Leno should do a motoring show.......at least then it would be interesting, credible and entertaining!

Spot on Mark,

Fifth gear is a "proper" petrolheads show, with decent experienced racing drivers as presenters, and i'm sure that VBH is having an orgasm when she drives some cars...

I still enjoy Top Gear a lot, but it has little to do with cars anymore and more to do with big hair and silly shirts...

I've always thought of Top Gear as a spoof on Fifth Gear . And Fifth Gear as a more entertaining version of Car and Driver , or Road and Track or what ever it is here .
I like Fifth Gear UK very much for silly British humor , and It's not on enough to annoy , and new shows will be missed .
With that said , I find it hard to believe that an American version will ever be half as good ( funny ) .

I also thought the show last night was sort of slow .
I'm not looking for a serious revue of the cars driven , I want to be entertained !

Agreed the UK version is entertainment, little more. But it is fun if you have not had access to it forever. The US version came off way better than I thought it would. Still not up to UK TG, but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't a total BOMB. The track sure needs help, either that or they need to test SUVs on it instead of cars (bumpy/dirty). What the hell, it was a decent start. Now I have to look up this Fifth Gear thing......

A friend was at one of the tapings and one of the crew told him that sometimes they use stand in drivers for the two non-qualified hosts.

It was always going to be a tough act to follow and I wonder what the reviews were like the first time Top Gear aired. IMO Top Gear UK is great because of the 3 guys fronting the program. It just works and they are all funny and make fun of each other. They each have strong points to bring. I watched TG/US last night with great anticipation but it failed. Maybe not miserably but I'll cut them some slack and hope for better next time. But it involves cars at speed so thats never a bad thing....to be continued.

It was always going to be a tough act to follow and I wonder what the reviews were like the first time Top Gear aired. IMO Top Gear UK is great because of the 3 guys fronting the program. It just works and they are all funny and make fun of each other. They each have strong points to bring. I watched TG/US last night with great anticipation but it failed. Maybe not miserably but I'll cut them some slack and hope for better next time. But it involves cars at speed so thats never a bad thing....to be continued.

Agree

One of the issues I had was that they only say positive things about the cars. It was not even an attempt to review the car; simply "it is amazing".... The heli vs. Viper was cool as was the Lambo vs. Bull Fighter but that was about it in my book.

I thought the host with the glasses is entertaining, unfortunately the other two were just like other hosts that do car focused shows, boring and awkward.

I am guessing Paul Tracy for the Stig (since he did that supercar show with Tanner on Speed). Anyone know who it is?

John,
I'd say there is no way that was Tracy....the guy would need to put on a few cheeseburgers to get to Tracy's (Nacho Libre) fighting weight. Foust has always been awkward that's the biggest reason I had little hope for the show....at least he was not as awkward as he usually is. Adam Corolla (sp) would have been a good choice, Leno would have been great but there's no way they could afford him. They needed someone like a young David Hobbs for Tanner's slot.

I didn't think that it was all that bad. It always takes a little time for cohosts to gel into their respective roles and play off each other more naturally. For a first show I thought they did OK.

My biggest complaint as someone mentioned above is that there was no counterbalance of opinions about the cars. My lambo is better than your lambo is hardly a counterbalance. While I didn't agree with many of the negative comments made about the (american) cars presented on the BBC version, the exaggerated points that were made were half the fun.

Let's just hope that at least in the US version, they drive all the cars on dry pavement at the track to compare their performance. Always drove me crazy that they would compare one cars dry performance directly against another cars wet performance. Apples and oranges.

Yes ,as I understand it , never having been there , testing when its dry is absurd . Doesn't it mostly rain there ?

Now that you are talking car related programs.... how about a reality show with the "Grassroots built GTM. Where ordinary car guys get together and build an endurance car out of stuff found in an ordinary garage and hardware store. Each week you follow them to an endurance race somewhere in the US and hosted(driver) by a celebrity(with driving talent) and an amateur driver and then the finally is the 25 hour race. Here you see backyard technology out racing BIG horse power! No Drama ( Orange County Choppers) No Saturday night circle track mentality ( all players have teeth), No exotic parts that no one can really afford, but "Wife's Tupperware" as an air intake plenum, or cheese container fuel catch cans! All about fun and great racing!
And at the end of each segment, viewers could say, " I could do that".

What do you guys think? any suggestions on who to contact?:idea:

Back