Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Hi all

Well despite it being one of the nicest days of the year here in England I decided to lock myself away in the garage and crack on with the car. Actually had a very productive afternoon and finally finished the wheel arech templates which I am really happy with. The dash frame front template was a REAL PAIN (panel on far right in picture)!

Also managed to do a little bit of cutting and folding on the drivers side compartment panel and my friend Dave came over to help me cut out the main section in the rear bulkhead. Getting there...

build-may25.jpg

build-may26.jpg

Trev

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

On panel 8 where the flange that goes against panel 6-3 you need to cut the flange parallel.

It will look neater that way.

Your doing a nice job!

Thanks

Andy

Trevor

On panel 8 where the flange that goes against panel 6-3 you need to cut the flange parallel.

It will look neater that way.

Your doing a nice job!

Thanks

Andy

Hey Andy, do you mean make the flange more like this:

build-may30.jpg

When I was making the template I couldn't quite work that flange out. In the manual it was as you say but on the CD of images of Scotts car he'd made the flange slightly wider. I couldn't see why so I thought I try to match Scotts and I think the reason his flange is wider is so the flange makes contact with the chassis rail all the way along the outside edge.

I think if I cut the flange parellel it will only rivet into the chassis rail until about 1/3 of the way down and then the rest would be just a case of rivetting the 2 panels together (if that makes sense).

Hopefully Scott will be along to explain his method.

Trev

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

Sort of. I know what you are saying about riveting the two panels together and thats OK.
I will post a pic of how we usually do it tomorrow.

Thanks

Andy

Trev,

Either way works.

Andy is correct.

The parallel panel lines look neater.

I just opted to put all the rivets into the chassis rail, hence the different bend on the arch panel.

Your choice, no difference.

S

Trev,
I followed Scotts method as I wanted the flange to rivet into the chassis and a parallel flange, as you say, doesn't meet with the chassis all the way down. Where I did have to rivet two panels together, I bought some 4mm washers off e-bay and used these on the backside of the rivet for extra strength.
Ian

Thanks guys

Hopefully Andy will pop up a couple of pics as to the normal way of doing it. I've bought some 4mm aluminium washers already from the kit car show for when I am rivetted panels together.

Also I am planning on stripping the panels off the car once the wheel arches are finished and then having them all powder coated in matt black to match the chassis so I don't know if will make the flange less visible?

Trev

Just had a look at steamer bills arches and seen he has opted for the neater finish. Andy is this what you'd recommend?

attachment.php

Trev

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

Sorry but I forgot to take the promised pictures but how Bill has done it was what I was talking about.

It really makes no difference either way but I like the way bill has done it which is the way we have always done it.

If you choose to do it that way and rivet the panels to each other use a 4mm washer to stop the rivets pulling through.

I think Scott should re panel his car!

Thanks

Andy

Hi all

I thought I'd just post up a quick update as I haven't been on here for a while. The reason for this is that I've been battling with the wheel arch panels and getting them to look and fit properly. The good news is that I've finally worked out how the panels should be cut and fit together and I've done about half of the first wheel arch.

The bad news is that I need to redo panel 6-4 as I am not happy with it and want it to look perfect. Oh well, I'll get there. Big thanks to Andy & Scott at Tornado for their help, they've been brilliant in helping me with questions and queries.

build-june2.jpg

Trev

Sent a few of my wheel arch panels off to the fabricators today to have some more folds put in them and have nearly finished the passenger side templates for the wheel arch. Front end is starting to take shape a bit more now:

build-june4.jpg

build-june5.jpg

Trev

A little more work done on the car yesterday. I've now made all the templates for the passenger wheel arch and have cut 4 of the 5 panels for the drivers side. I've been a bit slow on the wheel arches but am taking my time as they are a bit tricky and I want them to be right.

build-june6.jpg

Trev

Finished cutting and folding all the wheel arch panels in aluminium on both sides. I just need to get the last few to the fabricators to have the folds put in this weekend.

Here are the last few panels waiting to be sent off:

build-june7.jpg

Hoping to have all the panels drilled into place by the end of next week.

Had a fairly busy day again today. The last few wheel arch panels were taken to the fabricators and they should be ready within the next week. I also finished trimming and marking the driver’s side compartment panel and have started marking up all the access panel holes that need to be made before I rivet the panels into place.

build-july2.jpg

build-july1.jpg

Finally I decided to sit down and make a list of all the outstanding little jobs I have left to do on each panel. It took a little time and there is over a page worth of tasks but its a great to have a clear list of jobs I can start firing through.

Trev

A little more marking work today ready for cutting next week. Today I finished marking the footwell top access panel and lid with rounded corners.

build-july3.jpg

I also marked out a few other panels including the holes for the cooling pipes and steering coupler in the front lower bulkhead.

build-july4.jpg

Trev

A little more progress tonight. I cut the section out of the front lower bulkhead ready for the steering coupler. Also I've marked up the front upper bulkhead ready to remove the section for the pedal assembly.

I've decided to go for the bias adjustable setup as I think it gives me more options with the car. I also put an order in for my fuel tanks today (foam filled) along with the battery box moulding and pedal assembly as I want these parts to ensure I get all the holes cut in the panels in the correct places.

build-july10.jpg

build-july11.jpg

Trev

Last edited:
Passenger side wheel arch panels back from the fabricators and provisonally fitted. Just waiting for 2 last panels now before drilling them into place.

Also I drilled the drivers and passenger compartment panels in over the weekend.

build-july14.jpg

build-july15.jpg

Expecting the fuel tanks, battery box mould and pedal assembly soon so that I can finish up marking all the last holes on the panels before I have them powder coated.

Trev

Back