Tornado Side Lights

Does anyone know the std side lights used on the Tornado, from memory they recommend a reversing light with lower wattage bulb, could it be the CBS part "REVL5"?

Thanks

Keith

Most of these cars use a front side light which is integrated into the headlamp assembly. Are you thinking of the front foglamp in the lower aperture?

Andy

Andy

yes I probably am thinking of front foggies, bottom aperture above/beside the indicators, I need to check the headlamp units fitted have a side light, (came fitted, so am not sure).... problem is, I forget to bring the build manual to work and start ordering stuff!

Regards

Keith

AndyS

Page 60 (top) of the build manual, seems to refer to them as side lights? My understanding of driving lights, is that they come on with full beam.

Do we have to fit DLRs (day light running) to get IVA?..... if so I could therefore fit DLRs there.

Keith

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Keith

Thats propably an old manual.

Day light running lights are not required for IVA.

Driving lights can have an extra switch.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks Andy

I think the manual is a dated in the 90s, poss 1995? The headlamp unit has no side light facility, so I'll have to use the space (bottom aperture) for the obligatory side lights and indicators, and forget front fogs and DRLs.

Regards

Keith

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Keith

The side light must be in the headlight for IVA.

Your headlights must be the older units.

We have a kit to fit side lights into the lights you have.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy

OK, my other option was to replace the headlamp units,.... let me look in my various boxes, being a hoarder I have a lot of crap, err stuff, that I may be able to use.

Regards

Keith

Andy S,
Which part of the current IVA regs state the side light has to be integrated into the headlight? All vehicles fitted with pop-up head lights have separate side light units and these are still eligible

Andy

Andy S,
Which part of the current IVA regs state the side light has to be integrated into the headlight? All vehicles fitted with pop-up head lights have separate side light units and these are still eligible

Andy

Agree,
Current SMAX is homologated with sidelights seperate to the HD unit. I believe it's just easier to have it in because if your refelctive surface passes for the headlight thenit will be OK for the side lights (front position marker).

As per the manual:
Front and Rear Position Lamps;
1.​
The correct number must be fitted to the vehicle (Table 1)

2.​
They must be operational

3.​
They must only emit white light to the front / red light to the rear

4.​
Must be switched on and off by the operation of one switch

5.​
Must have a tell tale fitted. (see note 1)

6.​
They must be positioned to meet

a.​
the positional requirements of Table 1

b. the angles of visibility requirements of Table 1 (see note 3)

Perhaps what AndyS is saying is that, if the sidelights are positioned at the top of the bottom aperture, with the indicators below then you can't achieve the 'angles of visibility' speciied in table 1. Which in my version of the doc, seems to be 15deg above/below the horizontal, or 5deg above/below hori for sidelights in the height band 250mm to 750mm?

So rather than be a direct IVA requirement, the design of the 40's apertures means that you end-up having to put the sidelights in the headlamp unit, to pass the vis angles?

Keith

The bottom lights were never side lights. They were driving lights.

Others have also put side lights in the smalll NACA ducts at the front above the light. There is no requirement to put them in the headlight, but it just makes it easier.

1/ because of the height off the floor
2/ because the reflective surface area that can be seen from the angles in question. There used to be an explanation on this in the old manuals, but I can't see it from a quick glance at the latest

There is nothing to stop you putting something like this: https://www.europaspares.com/produc...IGHTS___MARKER_LIGHTS/Small_Marker_Lamps.html in the naca ducts. However, in reality, it is easier inthe longer term to do what Andy is saying and adapting the lights to have the bulbs in - it should be a simple drill, grommet, bulb holder. This is what I have done to the set of Renaul 12 lights I am putting in mine.

Brett

It's very easy to fit side lights into the headlamp.
I have Valeo headlamps and drilled a rubber grommetted lamp and it works a treat, passed IVA ... CBS do them. A 10 minute job

KeithB

I had in my mind that the reflective surface of the unit was glass, i had a look and it is either metal or a metalised polymer, so all you glass cutters and blowers can stand down (and stop laughing),.... while I read up on the gap years,.... between all-glass sealed units and the modern day headlamps, doh.

KeithS

KeithB

just looked, I have valeo Cibie 1467 headlamps, on which part of the reflector did you put the side light, was it bottom and to the outside viewed from the front?

KeithS

Attachments

• IMG00926-20130404-2058.jpg
    IMG00926-20130404-2058.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG00927-20130404-2058.jpg
    IMG00927-20130404-2058.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 239
Finally got round to doing this,....quick tick that off the L..I..S..T, phew.

Attachments

• IMG01103-20130602-1805.jpg
    IMG01103-20130602-1805.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG01104-20130602-1806.jpg
    IMG01104-20130602-1806.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 247
Back