Totaled SPF GT40 Replica Ebay - Parts/Spares

It sure is, and this forum has saved my bacon. I saw it the 1st time and decided it had to be more serious than what the current owner Alex (he buys and sells salvaged cars) said it was, but he was claiming ignorance as he just bought it from the insurance company. The 2nd time on eBay I decided to call, and was told there was a "wheel wobble" when driven, but again no mention of a twisted frame. I live less than an hour from the current location of this car and will inspect it before I go on vacation. Does anyone know if the frame damage will be obvious, if directed to look in the right area? BTW, I don't feel bad about being a "tire kicker" to a seller who doesn't disclose a rather important fact about a car I'm ready to plunk down cash on, i.e., a bent frame. I do want to see it close up, will take a number of high res pics, and share them here.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I have seen the car personally, but not since it was wrecked. However, the the original owner told me both ends of the chassis are bent. The car went into the median, bending the front, and then spun around and went backwards into the ditch bending the back. He said it is fairly obvious when you look at the car closely.

If it had been 'easy' to fix, he would have done so, but from what I understand, the insurance company decided not to go down that route, paid the owner and he has walked away from it.

I can get more details from the original owner, if you want...

I have noted before here that the car is VERY heavy in the back due to the Ricardo, the intercoolers, the turbos and the piping. I was unable to lift the back of the car with my quick jack alone... I had to get the owner to help me and I actually thought we were going to bend the arms on the jack...

FWIW,
Kirby

It sure is, and this forum has saved my bacon. I saw it the 1st time and decided it had to be more serious than what the current owner Alex (he buys and sells salvaged cars) said it was, but he was claiming ignorance as he just bought it from the insurance company. The 2nd time on eBay I decided to call, and was told there was a "wheel wobble" when driven, but again no mention of a twisted frame. I live less than an hour from the current location of this car and will inspect it before I go on vacation. Does anyone know if the frame damage will be obvious, if directed to look in the right area? BTW, I don't feel bad about being a "tire kicker" to a seller who doesn't disclose a rather important fact about a car I'm ready to plunk down cash on, i.e., a bent frame. I do want to see it close up, will take a number of high res pics, and share them here.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
This is the exact reason why space frame is best...I mentioned years ago that once you crush a beer can it will never be the same. Just a note for those who are in the market and want to understand why space frame cars are the way to go. Very easily fixed..

I have seen the car personally, but not since it was wrecked. However, the the original owner told me both ends of the chassis are bent. The car went into the median, bending the front, and then spun around and went backwards into the ditch bending the back. He said it is fairly obvious when you look at the car closely.

If it had been 'easy' to fix, he would have done so, but from what I understand, the insurance company decided not to go down that route, paid the owner and he has walked away from it.

I can get more details from the original owner, if you want...

I have noted before here that the car is VERY heavy in the back due to the Ricardo, the intercoolers, the turbos and the piping. I was unable to lift the back of the car with my quick jack alone... I had to get the owner to help me and I actually thought we were going to bend the arms on the jack...

FWIW,
Kirby

You can see all the extra heft in some of the photos. The rear of the car is sitting way low (and the front looks high or probably standard height). The car looks very "unbalanced" and I imagine with the weight distribution as is, it won't handle particularly well (maybe good for a straight line?)... I wouldn't want this car for any price (since I don't need, nor want any parts of it either).

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I passed on the link to Alf (previous owner) to show him. He's on vacation back in Norway, it seems...

Mike, Jack and I were looking at these photos and commenting on them and Mike said it looks like a salvage yard in the background. Sure enough... if you look in one picture you can read the sign on the building.

Capitol One Auto Dismantlers
(916) 638-2211 (I think...)

And lots of folks are not that happy with Capitol One!
Review: Capital One Motors - Topix

Lots of links to them in California... Sacramento and Rancho Cordoba

FWIW,
Kirby

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Scratch my comment about fixing the chassis then....but the drivetrain would be a great unit in another car.

Just a general "FYI":

Dallas Perf. told ME (and I'm DEAD SERIOUS here) that they had recommended to the original owner of that car (a Norwegian businessman, if I remember correctly) that he NOT have them build the car to that h.p. level because it faaaaar EXCEEDED the ability of a std GT40 chassis to safely glue all that power to the ground. They evidently also told him that installing a Recardo T/A would add too much weight to the rear of the car thereby screwing up the car's "balance". But, the guy supposedly insisted, so...

(At the time of this conversation, I'd contacted D.P. about building me a CLONE of that car...only in a MK I. Needless to say, the above info curbed my enthusiasm on the spot.)

'Gospel...

(EDIT: As I recall, D.P. told me they were contacted about rebuilding this car...but, they refused.)

(Edit #2: Dear God in heaven...it was such a SWEET, totally IMPRESSIVE SOUNDING car (turn UP your audio!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHgu9q7uD5M

It's truly sad TO ME that the car 'is no longer'...it was truly a very 'special' car!

Last edited:

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Dallas Perf. told ME (and I'm DEAD SERIOUS here) that they had recommended to the original owner of that car (a Norwegian businessman, if I remember correctly) that he NOT have them build the car to that h.p. level because it faaaaar EXCEEDED the ability of a std GT40 chassis to safely glue all that power to the ground. They evidently also told him that installing a Recardo T/A would add too much weight to the rear of the car thereby screwing up the car's "balance". But, the guy supposedly insisted, so...

(EDIT: As I recall, D.P. told me they were contacted about rebuilding this car...but, they refused.)

Yes, he was from Norway. He used to work with me in Halliburton.
The car was REALLY tail heavy. It took both of us hanging on my quick jack to get the rear off the ground and I thought the jack was going to bend.

The Ricardo moved the engine further forward and up with all the extra weight of the intercoolers and turbos in the back. Not good for handling....

I have pointed out the shortcomings of the car prior to and after the damage.

FWIW,
Kirby

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Seems like you could accomplish nearly the same thing with a std ZF behind a 289 with a smaller single spinny thingy

Pathfinder Motorsports

Sponsoring Vendor
I missed this when it first came out. What a mess ... does anyone know what happened to this car?

Alan

[URL=http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/PathfinderMotorsports/media/Pathfinder%20Motorsports%20LLC/0f3e97b2-b126-4f67-b91b-fe02d1de8451_zpsa963d4ac.jpg.html][/URL]

Call me for very competitive pricing on a roller or fully-assembled race-
or road-ready GT40, Cobra, Daytona coupe, or Corvette Grand Sport.

Pathfinder Motorsports LLC is a full-service Superformance dealer
and the designer of the Superformance GT40/R.

I missed this when it first came out. What a mess ... does anyone know what happened to this car?

Alan

If memory serves, the car was built to 1000+ hp with a couple turbos. It got loose on the owner shortly after completion and he hit something that bent the tub far enough out it needed replacement. Ins wrote it off and it was offered for sale again. Not sure if it ever sold again.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
How does a car that was written off by the insurance company have a "clean title"????

I want to meet the person that pays 225 for this!

Back