Tracking a SPF

Hopefully in a GT40 I will be as fast as the modern vette and porche guys, or at least in the hunt, and still have one tremendous experience.

Sean,

I think this gives a clue as to which way you should go. You don't want a GT40 in the original sense, you want one set up as a modern trackday car. A good workshop should be able to advise what to do to the basics of the car and which components to use.

John

Sean,

I think this gives a clue as to which way you should go. You don't want a GT40 in the original sense, you want one set up as a modern trackday car. A good workshop should be able to advise what to do to the basics of the car and which components to use.

John

John, thanks for your response. I see from your porfile you have lots of varied track experience in different cars with different drivers and also have a radical and GT40, so maybe you could comment further.

An orgional GT40 Mk1 from the 60s had about 375 hp max. The tyres then were nothing like rubber avaialable for histyorics now, not least because of compound, and brakes were also nothing like what a SPF has today.
From looking at threads here, it seems most run 351 based motors with 500+hp and 500+ft lbs of torque, plus it seems half or more run 17 in wheels.

My observation is that pretty much no one here is running an origional spec Gt40, maybe some guys int he uk and Oz are running low power small blocks. Even when I look at the goodwood Gt40 reunion, we see cars with 450+hp lightter bodies who knows what in shocks. In fact look at any hostoric race times for other marques and lap times at a place like goodwwod are significantly quicker than in period. So the cars have been improved significantly, whele notionaly adhering to spec.

The question might be at what point are changes significant enough that the essence of the thing is changed and what you really are running is a modern track car that looks like a GT40.

You raise a very good question to me about what I am looking for. Maybe if I try answer, then from your experience you might help guide me.

At tracks where I run, there are occasionaly serious machines like radicals and spec racer fords. On the corners these machines are in a completly other league.

Most cars though are modded tracked out e36 bmws, various loti, newer vettes, some running slicks other not, lots of Gt3's some with slicks others not, same with caymans. Sometimes one or two 458's show up. Of course there is avast difference in car prep and drivers too.

What I trying to compare a track GT40 to is not pure modern race cars, but essentialy modern street cars which have been optimised to varying degrees for the track. The lightest of them weigh 2800lbs and most are well over 3100lbs.

My thoughts are, (and I may well be completly off base), a race car design from the 60's that weights 2300-2400lbs with modern levels of power, better rubber and decent brakes should be able to run with modern street based track cars. In other words cars that have their own compromuses for having been street based namel weight.

Now it could be that a GT40 suspension design has too may camber toe and other changes going on, to be stable like a modern. Yes there is no ABS but pads etc should yeild adequate brakes. I had understood perhaps incorrectly that by the mid 60's suspemsion dysnamics were well understood and improvements since then have mainly been in rubber aero and of course weight. In which case yes a GT40 may not have that dual personality of refinedment on the street and trackability like a GT3 but track optimised, shocks springs rubber it should be as good as a modern street based car on track?

So if I took a street based 997 GT3 as a benchmark(3300lbs) running say R compund rubber. And if I took a 500hp 302 based GT40, running even slicks or great avons to my mind if the Gt40 has decent suspension as its rumoured to have it shoudl be able to run with a street based car.

Yes it will get smoked by a radical or even a modern like a GT3 cup.

Does an optimised but uncompromised 60s racer hang with modern street cars. Or has tech moved on so much that its not really a conversation.

Now as to why a GT40. Well I loved them since I was child. The last modern I drove that did anyhting for me was a 997 gt3. I find the 458 Boring with a capital B, same with the Maclaren, these are cars that have lost their sense of occasion and interaction, experience etc in the name of ultimate lap times. The new 991 Gt3 seems to me to be the same type of car. I am sure it will be faster but to what end. The idea is to have fun, and an emotive experience not just ultimate lap times. At the same time one wants to be potentialy in the hunt.

So if I took a spf Gt40, without doing the whole hog and transforming it into something else, but if I had track based springs and shocks, and put say 17 in wheels ands slicks on it, can it more or less run with something like a street 997 Gt3.

From my research the guys who historic race SPF cars have already worked out a lot of the details, they know what pads to use, they have spring rates and optimised shocks, so essentialy taking a track optimised GT40 maybe running better rubber than historics, where does the car sit in the hunt.

So far I can find no comparative Data. We know Dennis ran a 2.07 at the Gelnn on bias ply tires. But Dennis is a serious pro with lots of exeperience int he car. I know experienced amateurs run a 2:13 in a GT3 RS 4.0 on slicks there. I know maxed out e36's with experienced amateurs get down to the same times and around 2:10. I know a real pro has run a fully tracck prepped E36 with only 250hp down to 2.08. So yeah would love to have some like for like comparisons with similar drivers.

I would love to know for example what someone like the Stig did around the top gear track in a SPF. Or can someone tell me what a modern does round goodwood, compared to a Gt40 in the dry. Has anyone run a newer GT40 around the nurbering. What were the times around Monza at the last historics. How do those compare to say a similar driver in a GT3.

What about willow springs, anybody run a GT40 there?

Yes i know I will be slower than a GT3, at least for the first few years, because a GT3 has all the nannies, but the fun will be getteing there.

Yes its bench racing going on, but its also surprising how little if any comparative data there is on a GT40, yet so many seem to be tracked.

Keith

Sean, on another thread I posted a complete breakdown of the Goodwood GT40 race, car by car, sector by sector, lap by lap. We know that Newey's car co driven by Brack, is the most developed original :)laugh:) out there so firstly, you could easily compare the difference between a stock original and the best that money can buy.

Goodwood hold quite a few sprints throughout the year ( they are not allowed wheel to wheel anymore - Revival is the only one) for Marques - for example, AMOC where full on DB9's run. It would not be that difficult to get results from the Club or on line, and straightaway, you have real world comparisons with modern GT's.

I do not believe you will find the empirical information you are looking for in one place as it is such a niche activity. Try also members Russ Noble (New Zealand) Ross Nicol (Australia) and Ian Pretty (Australia) these guys have built Gt40's for racing ONLY and have raced against all the cars you mention. They are not posting often now, because they are probably "resting" - but if you want the real heads up on racing a vintage car in a modern climate - they are the boys.

That is the best advice you're going to get as I do not believe that members here do more than a few track days yearly for fun, whereas the three I mentioned are/were a lot more serious especially Ian Pretty. Good luck my friend....

Please excuse me if I missed out any 'boy racers' :laugh:

Sean, on another thread I posted a complete breakdown of the Goodwood GT40 race, car by car, sector by sector, lap by lap. We know that Newey's car co driven by Brack, is the most developed original :)laugh:) out there so firstly, you could easily compare the difference between a stock original and the best that money can buy.

Goodwood hold quite a few sprints throughout the year ( they are not allowed wheel to wheel anymore - Revival is the only one) for Marques - for example, AMOC where full on DB9's run. It would not be that difficult to get results from the Club or on line, and straightaway, you have real world comparisons with modern GT's.

I do not believe you will find the empirical information you are looking for in one place as it is such a niche activity. Try also members Russ Noble (New Zealand) Ross Nicol (Australia) and Ian Pretty (Australia) these guys have built Gt40's for racing ONLY and have raced against all the cars you mention. They are not posting often now, because they are probably "resting" - but if you want the real heads up on racing a vintage car in a modern climate - they are the boys.

That is the best advice you're going to get as I do not believe that members here do more than a few track days yearly for fun, whereas the three I mentioned are/were a lot more serious especially Ian Pretty. Good luck my friend....

Please excuse me if I missed out any 'boy racers' :laugh:

Keith

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

Cobbling together some data I have found.
At Spa.
Ferari Scud 2.41
Corvette ZR1 slightly better.
Historic raced GT40 2.47
GT3 RS 4.0 2.50

Of course the days are different as are the drivers. The Corvette and ferrari were tested by the same driver ont he same day. They ran street tires. SPA is from what I hear a high speed Hp course. Inetrestingly if you look at the percentage time diff between the porche and vette, it is the same percentage time diff at Nurbering. Of course we dont know who was driving there.

Now I assume, and its an assumption that a historic raced GT40 is running a 289 and from what i see these days these motors can put out close to 500hp. Its not running slicks and in Europe they have to run solid rotors and girlings.

So extrapolating further based on the very loose data, I might say that a Gt40 running a dart block big bore 347 of 525 hp, vented disks and 4 pot calipers as per spf would probably be around similar times to a street tyred zr1 and Scud. Of course put the ZR1 and scud on slicks and their time probably drops another 5 or more secs. Interestingly the ZR1 with manual tranny is a bit quicker than the SCUD. As to the porche, on a fast track such as this its slower than all three, and that is probably hp as much as anyhting.

All this is of course extrapolation, based mostly on different drivers on different days, but I belive the vette and ferrari were driven by pros, as was the Gt40.

Anybody have some willow springs or other US track times for a GT40?

adding to the number the Aston Gt4 v8 vantage which is a modern race car based of a street car seems to run between 2.39 and 2.47 at SPA.

Sorry Sean,

Just posted a long reply, hit the Submit Reply button and was no longer logged in. :furious::furious::furious: All my hard work gone!!!:thumbsdown:

It's now midnight and I am off to bed. Maybe I'll get back to it tomorrow, sorry.

John

NB. Is there a possibility for Ron or someone else to see if my reply is still somewhere at the server?

Sorry Sean,

Just posted a long reply, hit the Submit Reply button and was no longer logged in. :furious::furious::furious: All my hard work gone!!!:thumbsdown:

It's now midnight and I am off to bed. Maybe I'll get back to it tomorrow, sorry.

John

NB. Is there a possibility for Ron or someone else to see if my reply is still somewhere at the server?

Ok hopefully i will see it when I wake up tomorrow.

thanks

Sean

Keith

Sorry Sean,

John

Lord above! How many times has that happened to me John! I'm afraid it will be gone. The server seems to 'time-out' and logs you out for some reason (now you come to think about it, that can't be right) but anyway, if you ever get that message, don't try and log in just click the back arrow on your browser and you will returned (hopefully) to your message. If you log in, you will have lost your message. :(

If your message is a long one - type it in Word, log in and paste it.

More Data

Dennis posted times at Road Atlanta of 1.33, not sure of his motor, some say its a 700hp cup car motor. I assume he is runnign avons.

The stock C6 Z06 is posting 1.36 laps. C6 weighs 3150lbs and has 505hp.
Not sure what tio extrapolate from this.

It does seem in general that a well running GT40 in "race" trim but running treadeed avons is in Z06 territory but quicker than a Gt3 porche.

For comparisson a GTR has run low 1,.24.s at Raoad atlanata beating the previous GTr time of 1.27. I assume neither was stock.

Not sure what Dennis is running today...and he probably won't say, but I do believe 700 bhp is a bit ambitious. He told me a couple of years ago, but I don't recall the exact number anymore.

I wonder how he'd do with slicks.

Not sure what Dennis is running today...and he probably won't say, but I do believe 700 bhp is a bit ambitious. He told me a couple of years ago, but I don't recall the exact number anymore.

I wonder how he'd do with slicks.

I understood that the second fastest Gt40 had in the low 600hp range 450 ftlbs torque power between 6-8krpm from a 302. Maybe Dennis has the same or a bit more.

I am guessing something with a bigger bore and crank like a 347 running slicks might do better, but then it would need a driver as good as Dennins.

A pump gas big bore short stroker 347 like I am planning build on now, will put out say 525 hp and 470 ftlbs of torque, but have a power range from 3k-7.5k rpm. A 351 based motor is of course another story, but then it weighs more too.

Sean,

I don't know the exact difference, but a 351 can't weigh much more than a 302...not much difference other than deck height, right?

Your planned motor should be fun. But, can you really get 525 bhp out of a 347 on pump gas? I'm running a 393 making just a bit over 600 bhp, but I need to keep my octane at at least 100....not exactly pump gas here in the US. I'm running a solid lifter, full roller valve-trane at almost 12:1, mildly worked over 205 AFR heads. Maybe you are putting a bunch of money in head work?

BTW, I really don't think you'll have much to worry about at the track. And, no matter where you go, you'll be the life of the party.

Steve

Supporter
Dennis was running (I believe) a 427sbf until the vintage racing rules changed. When I talked with him last he was running a 302. You can't stroke it for vintage racing so it might be bored to 306 at most. He is getting at least 580hp and 500ft/lb, maybe more.

Sean,

I don't know the exact difference, but a 351 can't weigh much more than a 302...not much difference other than deck height, right?

Your planned motor should be fun. But, can you really get 525 bhp out of a 347 on pump gas? I'm running a 393 making just a bit over 600 bhp, but I need to keep my octane at at least 100....not exactly pump gas here in the US. I'm running a solid lifter, full roller valve-trane at almost 12:1, mildly worked over 205 AFR heads. Maybe you are putting a bunch of money in head work?

BTW, I really don't think you'll have much to worry about at the track. And, no matter where you go, you'll be the life of the party.

A 351 is 70lbs more, plus the crank and other internals weigh more too. The Idea is to go for a aluminum block and save a further 80lbs light crank etc so probably around 150- 175lbs less than an iron block aluminum head 351. The extra weight in a 351 is also on the top of the motor which raises the cog.

I know of a 347 just run this week first time that is at 510 and they have a lttle tweaking to do. The 347 will also have solid rollers and jesel shaft rockers.

You have abour 1.5 to one more cr than I will have, thats probably worth 15-20 hp plus the extra CI takes you to over 600hp, you probably have quite a bit more torque than I will have, do you know the peak torque and what the torque curve looks like, also what stroke and bore do you have?. How much effort does it take to set the valve lash and how often are you doing it. Some people hate the effort and just go hydralic or wish they did, others say solids is the only way to go.?

For the track the big question is how does it handle and brake, the power and weight should be very competitive with moderns.

Dennis was running (I believe) a 427sbf until the vintage racing rules changed. When I talked with him last he was running a 302. You can't stroke it for vintage racing so it might be bored to 306 at most. He is getting at least 580hp and 500ft/lb, maybe more.

Dennis said the 427 motor was because he had a MK2, but that now has to race 66-69 spec against T70's and the low weight of the T70 made was a very big advantage.
As I understand it running in pre 66 ckass is where a GT40 Mk1 on a 302 is dominant. I had understood that the motors were over 600hp and a bit less than 500 ftlbs or torque on a very narrow and high rev band, prob not an issue on track. I think with a dart block you can bore more and get somewhere between 320 and 330 ci.

Some more relevant performance data.
At the 2013 festival of speed at goodwood Kenny Brack in GT40 did a 1.22 lap in the dry before rain set in. This is a FIA sanctioned car so soild disks 302 motor, grooved avons, although apparently the most developed GT40 out there with a superlative driver.
Absolute record is a Lola T70 in 2010 at 1.18
For comparissson, the Gt3 is a 997.1

Lotus Exige Cup 2601:27.80 Lamborghini Murcielago1:28.60 Porsche 911 GT3 1:29.20 Aston Martin V12 Vantage1:29.70 Mercedes SLK 55 AMG1:30.60

Two other data points Lexus LFA1:22.62 168'10560 / 16092.Nissan GT-R1:27.70 159'08480 / 1740

Sean,

Depending on where I look, I get block weight diff between 302 and 351 at 25-45 lbs, all up motor weight diff between 70 and 100 lbs. The difference in deck height won't bring your center of ballance up much.

I don't recall how much torque I'm making, but I think it was somewhere just over 500 ftlbs.

My motor is standard stroke, the increased displacement comes from the bore. My motor is built to spin, I wanted to recreate the sound of the original cars, just with more hp. Besides, it's not like these are heavy cars. My wheels spin any time I want them to. Don't really need any more torque. Heck, I don't need the torque I have.

For yucks, I looked on another Ford site...they're getting 425-450 bhp on pump gas out of 347s. Of course, I don't know how much they've spent on internals or heads, but another 75 to 100 bhp with the same compression limits seems like a lot to ask for. Hope it works.

Sean,

I'll see if I can't post the dyno sheet.

As for messing with solid lifters, I'm about to find out. It's time to adjust them. As you know, going with solid lifter really limits the RPM you can spin at. Hopefully, keeping everything where it should be won't be that painfull. I guess there are trade-offs in everything.

As for the track...I was on my way to Laguna Seca a while ago, when I found out that my slicks were too big in front. I have a different set now, and will try to take it out in the next little while, maybe November.

I've tracked a Cobra with a bit over 500 bhp, and the GT would have flogged that car on any track that's not too tight.

Keith

Some more relevant performance data.
At the 2013 festival of speed at goodwood Kenny Brack in GT40 did a 1.22 lap in the dry before rain set in. This is a FIA sanctioned car so soild disks 302 motor, grooved avons, although apparently the most developed GT40 out there with a superlative driver.
Absolute record is a Lola T70 in 2010 at 1.18
For comparissson, the Gt3 is a 997.1

Lotus Exige Cup 2601:27.80 Lamborghini Murcielago1:28.60 Porsche 911 GT3 1:29.20 Aston Martin V12 Vantage1:29.70 Mercedes SLK 55 AMG1:30.60

Two other data points Lexus LFA1:22.62 168'10560 / 16092.Nissan GT-R1:27.70 159'08480 / 1740

Be careful you don't mix data from the Goodwood Festival of Speed with The Goodwood Revival, they are held on different tracks. FOS is a hillclimb sprint - Revival is held on the race track proper.

Back