?Trans Axle? I hate to ask?

Morning, I am a big SLC fan and trying to make it my next big project but find my self on a very tight budget. The thing that puzzles me the most in knowing which trans axle to choose. I would to build a SLC for the street with about 450-500hp(using a modified LS1) and I would not use it for a every day driver. I have no interest in taking it to the track just a nice street super car. I tried to read as much as a I can on this forum and the GTM folks and find that the hardest part is finding a affordable trans axle. So what would be a good option for me, G50/01 or a 930? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if this has been posted already please point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time.

Hi Jeremy,

and welcome to the Forum!

All of us have struggled with the same question when planning our SL-Cs so you're not alone. Both transaxles mentioned will do a great job at the HP and driving style you are considering. I believe the 930's are more plentiful and may be less costly overall to ready for mid-engine use. There has been some research on using the Cayman transaxle. These can be had new, are mid-engine ready out of the box and can handle that HP as well. I would suggest PM or email Erik at GBox for some technical help and pricing of Porsche transaxles. A Ricardo would be a higher HP choice and Fran has these "in stock". It might be a little "much" for your intended use. You won't need LSD so that saves a chunk of money. I might still recommend an oil cooler though.

That said, don't short change your selection. The transaxle has a lot going on inside!

Lastly, where in Texas? I'll extend some TX hospitality and invite you to visit if you live close enough to DFW area.

Doc Kaler

Jeremy;

There seems to be a glut of ricardos on the market right now bringing the price down. i guess it's because the Ford GT is out of production. mine came in a lttle less than the G50 i was looking at. Maybe we can get a Texas SLC Club going!

I went with the Ricardo unit because it can handle a crap load of power and is incredibly reliable. Not to mention it's cheaper than a g50x that's been built up to handle a lot of power.

These are not going to be cheap cars to put together - I'd guess most builders will be spending between 80 to 120k when all is said and done, so since the transaxle is a critical point of the build, use a solid unit that will last and will be able to handle the v8 torque w/o missing a beat. (my understanding is the weak point of the porsche units is the torque issue)

I'm using an inverted 930 LSD unit in my build. Got a really good deal on a freshened unit. Erik Johnson at G-Box was a great help when it came to adding oil pump and cooler, etc.

What (if any) mods are done to the synchros on 930 boxes? I drove an old 4 spd turbo Porsche a while back and found the 'box pretty vague in its shifting.

Just curious, as I already have another Porsche 'box.

TIA

Tom, I have all new stock syncro's in mine so we'll see. At worst, should they wear, it will shift more like a "dog" box. With the Brentwood cable shifter, the vaugeness should go away (I expect).

I'm using an inverted 930 LSD unit in my build. Got a really good deal on a freshened unit. Erik Johnson at G-Box was a great help when it came to adding oil pump and cooler, etc.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you? When I was looking at the 917 (which needed a 930), I believe carquip quoted me around 10-12k for an inverted, rebuilt and strengthed box with all the goodies (cooler, etc....)

Alex,
I paid $3900.00 for a fresh rebuild from a reputable shop and installed the cooler fittings myself. Really lucked out with this one. I'd expect to pay somewhere from
8-10K otherwise for the same thing. It is an LSD unit too.

I would like to thank every one who chipped in with great advice. I have found a few units on ebay that are used and with out a doubt need a overhaul. Since I do not plan on more than 500hp, would a overhauled unit with a cooler be good enough?

Doc, I live in Troy, Tx only a few hours away and I will take you up on that offer as soon as I return from Iraq. I am a contractor and will be in town some time in March if that is ok? Once again, Thanks to every one!

Jeremy,

PM me when you return to make sure I'm not in Cabo at the time. I'll be happy to have you come here to take a look at my SL-C. Hopefully by then you'll actually see some progress!

Thanks Doc, will do!

Molleur, I like the details in your build and sent you a pm.

Every one Thanks alot for your advice, I spoke with Erik @Gbox for options. Very polite guy and gave me good details. Thank you Erik for taking the time to answer my questions! Geee! You guys are awesome!

Just to throw another couple in the mix check out the ZF-Q (not the ZF) and it looks like there is a new one out by FFR for use with their GTM but you can buy it separately....

Happy to help you with this. Let me know if you run into any additional questions. I am always here to help. Feel free to call my cell too if you should ever have a problem reaching me.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell

Hey thank you all very much for the kind recommendations to give me a call. I really appreciate working with all of you, and it is nice to know that everyone has been satisfied with the service I provide. Nice to be recognized.

Thanks again,

Erik Johnson

Back