Transaxles

Hi all,

Been lurking while trying to decide on a GT40 kit purchase. Great forum, nice folks, and very informative! In the mean time, I ran across the following WEB site that you may find informative or useful. Transaxles seems to be a popular topic; check this out (If this has not previously been posted).

Andy

Dude,

250 HP on asphalt, 500 HP on sand. I think the stock 5 liter Mustang engine puts out 250.

I'd be interested in a 600 ft-lb. rating. The Quaife comes close. The ZF may pop. You know they had to be getting close to 500 HP outta the 289 Mk I sprint engines. A Mk II transmission (Autocar?) would do it but I guess they're pretty pricey. Also it's a four speed.

Maybe I'll limit myself to 3/4 throttle.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Le Vea:
Dude,

250 HP on asphalt, 500 HP on sand. I think the stock 5 liter Mustang engine puts out 250.

I'd be interested in a 600 ft-lb. rating. The Quaife comes close. The ZF may pop. You know they had to be getting close to 500 HP outta the 289 Mk I sprint engines. A Mk II transmission (Autocar?) would do it but I guess they're pretty pricey. Also it's a four speed.

Maybe I'll limit myself to 3/4 throttle.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark,

Of course you are right, but compared with some of the popular alternatives from Audi (160HP) or Renault, it compares quite favorably. There are some other high HP alternatives as well; the one that comes to mind is Fortin (they claim up to 800+ HP). 5sp, straight cut, dog box w/reverse. FWIW
http://www.fortinracing.com

Andy

The ZF 5DS25-2 will take up to 900HP. Junior Wilson ran 230mph in the Silver State road race burning through a ZF.

panteraman,

Where did you get that spec? 900HP? Looking back into GT40 history the ZF was the good replacement for the Colotti which broke regularly in the Mk1. Once Shelby dumped in the NASCAR 7 liter monster ZFs went by the wayside in favor of the Autocar. I figured from that the ZF could take 500 ft.-lbs. of torque and the Autocar could handle 750 ft-lbs. of torque.

Do you have a reference for that spec?

To run 230 MPH probably does require 900 hp
in a 3,000 car. But the gearing is so low,
and the run up through the gears is so long, that the stress is not that high.
So technically the trans works fine.

Will that same trans hold up under 900 hp
holeshots with sticky tires? I doubt it.

MikeDD

Back