UN1 Bellhousings

I have just had my UN1 up graded, but I am having problems the belhousing. Sorry all you Ford fans but its mated to a Chevy LS1.

I am using a UK manufactured one piece belhousing for the small block Chevy, Are their any alternative manufactures in the market place. Before I start to cutting this one.

Thanks

Hi,

The problems related to UN1 to LS1

I was advised on collection that I would need a custom flywheel, this came as a surprise. I have had quotes from £600 to £1300. But this only creates additional problems: what happens to the starter! I would need to fabricate a second mounting for the starter. The cost would be astronomical.

The Chevy LS1 flywheels have the standard 168 teeth. It looks as the clutch cover will also foul but a smaller clutch pack is not unreasonable.

It would help to know if an off the shelve belhousing was avalible. As I do not think there is sufficient material to start machining the belhousing.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I currently have a Chevy 355 with a bell housing that was supplied to me from Chris Cole but to be honest, when I was researching into a bell housing the Tornado bell housing and Chris Cole’s looked exactly the same to me.

I did not have a massive problem with the flywheel, I used a 153 tooth lightened flywheel that took a 7.25” clutch, this I bought on EBay for around £100 from an Ex Nascar.

What you must be careful is matching it to a starter; I was lucky the guy I bought the flywheel from also had a high torque starter that did not cost me the earth, just make sure the offsets are correct and that it is the right gearing.

I have attached some photo's that may help you, one thing I did do is upgrade my Tilton three plate clutch to a twin plate ceramic clutch as I use the car on the street and I did not take allot for me to warp the floater plates and the ceramic clutchs take alot more heat to damage them, so while I was doing this I also upgraded to a hydraulic release bearing this did involve allot of measuring and It is very tight but it can be done.

Regards,

Chris.

Attachments

• Bell Housing with new fluid line fitted.jpg
    Bell Housing with new fluid line fitted.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,192
  • New Release Bearing fitted 1.jpg
    New Release Bearing fitted 1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 914
  • New Tilton Clutch Fitted.jpg
    New Tilton Clutch Fitted.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 932
Chis

Thank for the input. I looked at using the 153 toothed flywheel but because I am using the LS1 it has a bolt pattern /flange diameter on the crank.
The belhousing is identical I must assume they come from the same source. I do like the concentric release bearing is it from AP?
We are currently going to add strengthen webs to the outside of the bell housing then we machine 2.5mm from the inside edge .
What do you use your car for that one serious clutch pack!

Neil, why dont you use the LS1 bellhousing and make an adapter plate between that and gearbox. That way you can use the LS1 flywheel, clutch and starter etc etc. You may have to make a new input shaft because the other will be shorter, but this is no problem as it resides in a splined sleeve, and you can cut the clutch splines to suit.

I looked at using a LS1 / Chevy belhousing and an adapter plate. But having spent a great deal of money having the box rebuilt with Quaife internals and LSD. It difficult to change to basic concept of a one piece shaft.
I think we have found the solution in machining the belhousing. I will post photos in the next few weeks.

I looked at using a LS1 / Chevy belhousing and an adapter plate. But having spent a great deal of money having the box rebuilt with Quaife internals and LSD. It difficult to change to basic concept of a one piece shaft.
I think we have found the solution in machining the belhousing. I will post photos in the next few weeks.

I made myself a 1-peice input shaft too, all you do is make the adapter plate between the bellhousing and 'box to a suitable width to fit. But thinking about it now, the 'English-made' 1-peice shafts are the same length as the standard Renault so my idea wont work for you. My shaft is about 2 inches longer.

Hello
i'm wondering if Tornado's bellhousing fitts my 351c. So much i have found out about 351c, is that it has the same bellhousing pattern as 289,302 and 351w they all have the smallblock pattern. But Tornado states that it not match. So any one have a clue?
because i need a bellhousing to my Pantera Replica or adapter plates.
Any suggestions?

Best regards Marcus

While the 351c shares the same bolt pattern as the 289 the dia of the 351c flywheel and ring gear is larger than that used on most 289 etc. It sounds like the Tornado bell housing uses the smaller dia 289 type flywheel. It is the resulting change in starter motor position due to the respective diameter that causes the problem. Having said that I believe you can fit the 289 flywheel to your 351 if you use a smaller size hi torque type starter. Balance factor for both 351 & 289 is the same- 28 oz/in.

I will check & confirm this tomorrow night on a couple of blocks I have here..

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Marcus

If what Jac Mac says is correct and you change to a 157 tooth flywheel our bellhousing will fit.

I always thought the Cleveland block was much larger then the Windsor.

Thanks

Andy

Okey, thanks mate :)

cheers Marcus

Yes, as I mentioned yesterday the 157t 289 flywheel bolts to the 351c and if you use an aussie bosch or most of the later small dia starters with the correct (deeper) starter pinion engagement to match your good to go.----- The OE ford 'rat trap' starters can be made to fit by bending back the pan rail of the sump and if necessary a bit removed from starter body with disc grinder if necessary.
You will also need the 289 /157t sandwich plate that fits between block & bell housing to correctly position the starter.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
The 157 tooth sandwich plate that goes between the engine block and bellhousing to locate the starter motor in the correct position is included with our bellhousing kit.

Thanks

Andy

Okey, thank you guys for the help.

I think that i will use the smaller high torque starter.
And i will order an bellhousing kit from Tornado.

Back