UN1 inboard brakes?

Has anyone fitted up inboard brakes to a UN1?
It seems to have provision for it in the form of two very deep cast holes in just the right place.

Steven

I thought about this a few times too. Not all casings have those large holes cast in them. I just check a UN1-13 (1988 case) and a 369 (1979 case) and they dont have the same casting holes in them. I have a few UN1's in the workshop, and looks like from 1989 on they put those holes in. Dont know why. Mind you, there are also different mounts on them according to the year as well.
Also doesnt really look like there is going to be too much room before the disc would hit the bellhousing. I just tried a 10.5" disc against one and it would work. Heres the problem though, as the disc would be quite a way out on the CV joint (if you're using the tripod CV) the leverage against the 'bearing surface' would be rather large. As the output shafts only run metal to metal you could wind up with a lot of wear at this point.
I dont think there would be too much to gain from having inboard discs.

casting differs from model: Renault 21, to renault 25, to renault alpine

a 369 isn't regarded as a UN1 in france when you ask the breakers over there.

Grtz Thomas

The extra radial load place on the output splines is my main concern. I’m using Holden Commodore drive shafts which for Northern Hemisphere readers are large Lobro type CV’s that I think would take the loads and if not are a dime a dozen.
My car is a mid engine 1UZ-FE Peugeot 306 3door. I’m building it for Hillclimb events and club racing.
The upside of inboard brakes is transferring unsprung to sprung weight and the down side of cooling is not such a negative in sub minuet Hillclimb events.
Here is a link to my new project, sorry its not a GT40. http://picasaweb.google.com.au/RB30ZED

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I seem to remember a forun member Simon Winter had a UN1 complete with inboard brakes for sale a couple of years ago - perhaps he has some detail pictures of the set up

Ian

Thanks Ian and Simon

I have just sent Simon a PM before i saw your replay. Ive been trawling through Simmons 500 or so posts looking for just that.

Thanks
Steven

Here is a photo of the two 3 inch space mounting hole, just above the drive spline. I havent seen them on othe UN1's.

RIMG0039.JPG

Here is the photo again with the holes marked. They are about 40mm deep and in the same place on both sides of the transmission.
RIMG0039a.jpg
I see in the Renault oil leak post that you have these holes with a bracket fitted to them.
Steven

Back