Renault 21 Oil Leak

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm still losing oil from the gearbox - sort of limits my desire to drive as I reckon it could dry our pretty quickly!

Problem is after a drive there is oil all over the outside of the case - and I cannot decide from where it came!

But there is this yellow plastic plug on the box - right hand side and above the drive shaft line - took the press fit plug out and it was covered in oil so or could be the source.

Can anyone confirm what this is for and what should be in the hole?
First pic general position and second a detailed pic without the bung (but you could probably have figured that put yourself!

thanks
Ian

Attachments

• yellow bung.jpeg
    yellow bung.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 974
  • yelloy bung hole.jpeg
    yelloy bung hole.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 755

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ian,

This is a WAG, but 1) I don't think the yellow plastic plug was made to be there, and 2) I am going to guess, based on its position, that the orifice accepts a speed sensor that triggers off of the crown gear.

I am sure someone who knows these boxes will tell you for sure, but that's my best guess. Confidence is high on 1).

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ian,

It could be that I suppose, but judging by the way the boss is cast with the case and the way the slot on the side looks as though it might accept a snap in type 'something or other' is what led me to believe it was for something a little more common. That was the reasoning anyway behind my SWAG.

Lynn

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Iain, it isn't the mechanical speedo takeoff, the mechanical speedo takeoff is the larger hole angled downwards, to the left of your upper picture. I dont know what the hole is, but it doesnt appear to be plugged in mine, and it doesnt't leak. Have you looked in the Gearbox Manual .pdf?
Dave

21 gearbox oil leak

Ian.
the hole is for the speedo senser,which was fitted to the renault 25 box
the 21 has a cable drive and has a much larger hole,best bet is to purchase
a senser to plug the hole

best of luck Brian.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
That could be it then

I just went out and took a picture of the tag UN1-09 (on the bottom it also says 14

I cannot find that one anywhere - any ideas anyone.

I'll contact Chris Cole for the sensor to bung the hole

thanks
Ian

Attachments

• UN1 Net.jpeg
    UN1 Net.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 730

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dave

If you have a PDf please could you mail it ian.anderson7 AT virgin.net

I just tried with a clean screwdriver and it is definately open into the innards of the box.

thanks again

Ian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ian,
pdf in mail. I guess that, putting together what Brian said, the casting is the same for the 21 and 25, but for the 21 they finish machine and break through for the mechanical take off, for the 25, they finish machine and break through for the sensor.
If you don't have either, where is your speedo drive?
Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dave

Thanks for the PDF

My speed sensor is 2 magnets araldited to the CV joint with a pickup on a bracket. So nothing mechanical.

I had a quick look on the PDF and on page 1 pocture 1 for UN1 there is a cable thing that looks like it goes to this area - what is that for - perhaps reverse lock out.

Also nobody has answered - what is a Tyoe 09 UN1 - I seem to remember this was said by somoene to be a works rally spec unit for the Alpine. Could be interesting internals!

At least I think I have now sorted out where the oil comes from - no wonder it goes everywhere - drip out of the hole onto a spinning drive shaft an it will move everywhere

Cheer and thanks to everyone for the ideas

Ian

Ian

This is the hole for the electrical sensor for the speedo on an 84 on Alpine as all the rest have cable drive or the sender is on the front nearside hub...I can seed you an old sender.. have something made up in ally because it is held in with a special clamp...& will only leak again..also the gearbox oil seals are very prone to wear.
I have quite a lot off experiance with UN1 gearbox,s never heard of a UN1..9

cheers Eddie.

Ian

Sorry for the two messages... the other gearbox is type 369 UN1... as used on early 110 &310 alpines ,these can be 4 or 5 speed units, hope this helps.

Cheers Eddie.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Eddie

Many thanks - looks like the gearbox is from an Alpine - still cannot find the 09 mentioned anywhere.

I'll try chris Cole for the sensor to blank it of and if not perhaps call on you

Many thanks

Ian

Ian

looking at my books I think the box is from an Alpine Europa Cup race car... these were slightly modified GTA-Turbo,s & raced here in Europe in the 90,s...they are not proper race box,s ....just as everyone else does just some swopping of diferant ratio,s.

Cheers Eddie.

Ian

Can you give me Chris Cole,s E-mail.......I,m looking for some shims to set my diffs . backlash.

Cheers Eddie.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Eddie

I have sent a PM with Chris Cole's phone number - his e mail is not working at present - having problems with e mail supplier.

He has said he will sell you the parts needed.

He is also able to send me FOC a pick up sensor that has had wires broken #(I do not need it as a sensor just a bung) along with clamp, new o ring and bracket. Many thanks chris - the car may me more usable in the next day or so. Time for driving fun!

Ian

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Many thanks to those with the knowledge re the speed sensor.

I received the sensor from Chris Cole yesterday (fantastic service - thanks Chris) and fitted it last evening.

Topped up the box and did a 10 mile run.

Parked he up over clean newspaper and this morning no drops!!!!!!!

So either she managed to empty the whole lot on the road (that would be a record) or I would suspect the problem has been cured.

Tonight a longer run and then on to more mundane things like wheel alignment all around.

At last I feel able to drive the car without possibly doing damage to the gearbox.

Once again many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,
Does this mean we are in danger of seeing the car tonight at the Fairmile?
If yes, make sure you arrive early, before it gets dark!

Back