UN1 Info

To All,

Recently I located a UN1 at what I think is a very good price of $400.00:). The owner says it shifts fine and its in good shape. I asked for the serial number and allhe could get of the transaxzle is this nymber, 7700598990. What kind of info, if any can I get from this number?

Joz

Howard Jones

Supporter
This is a picture of the correct UN-1 tag commonly found on the 5th gear cover at the rear of the gearbox. I can't find a number on mine like the one you have posted. This doesn't mean it's not a UN1 i just don't know what is in reference to. $400 would be a fair price here in the USA for a used/working gearbox. Maybe a little better than good considering the value of the pound and shipping costs from the UK. Expect to spend $500 to ship one here from England. Each way I might add.

Attachments

• gearbox5.jpeg
    gearbox5.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 553
Yes, check the tag on the gearbox. If its not there, pull the bellhousing off and have a look at the back of the crownwheel. Every model has its identity engraved here.
The term 'UN1' is loosely describing the 'style' of gearbox, as like saying 'Toyota' - but there are so many different versions. The 369 is virtually identical on the outside except it was the forerunner to the UN series, and in a few ways, a stronger box.
Joz, get back to us here when you've found the number and we can tell you exactly what you have. (with reference to the internals.)

He is likely looking at the number cast into the case just ahead of the right hand drive flange. It may be a serial number???my R-21 from Mach I in the Uk has the number 700599238 on it in addition to the tag mentioned above.
Brian

Lambo,
I contacted the owner of the UN1 and he said there were no other numbers. I am back to searching for another one. I have found a engine, its a 69 302 with 4V heads, light cam, Eldebrock intake and Holly carb. I will pick it up in May 08, so I have time to locate a tranny.
Joz

Lambo,
I contacted the owner of the UN1 and he said there were no other numbers. I am back to searching for another one. I have found a engine, its a 69 302 with 4V heads, light cam, Eldebrock intake and Holly carb. I will pick it up in May 08, so I have time to locate a tranny.
Joz

So I assume he never took the bellhousing off and looked on the back of the crownwheel for the model number?

Lambo,

No he never got back to me after I requested him to recheck. If I can find an e-mail address there is a guy that has an Audi transaxle and Kennedy adaptor kit for $1500.00.

Joz

Back