USA GTD Build

Malcolm

Supporter
Brian

An option to consider if I haven't said this to you before. If you are trimming the dash to fit down over the steering column, how about trimming the dash to allow the steering column to be raised into the dash. This will give more room below by means of a higher steering wheel position. I raised mine by 20mm this way. The GTD column is adjustable fore and aft as well as up and down so no metal work required. I found better steering wheel leverage resulted.

Sort of like in this pic I have or your dash... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifGood idea Malcolm, thanks for the advice...

Attachments

• 72843-malcsdash.jpg
    72843-malcsdash.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,248
Hi Brian
Just to say, having built a car or six I can appreciate a well engineered build and looking at the panelling in your photos you are obviously thinking the way I do.
For example the rivets in the panels look accurately well spaced and your using the right tools in the right working environment,It is essential that you maintain this detail and I'm sure you will benifit from the end result.
It look really good , keep it up
Regards Keith

Very Nice Brian! It seems you are in the New England area, and by 'up in the sticks' you can only mean either NH or ME. I would love to come and check it out! Very inspiring! I too am a 'virgin' at this, but this wont stop me!

Work has been keeping me real busy as of late, but I did get to spend some time in the garage today. Started fitting door handles and latches. I have to admit, reaching deep into the door to fit up this hardware was a pain in the neck, but it is coming along. Not having any examples of how all of this hardware is supposed to fit together is a hindrance also. No catches on the chassis pillars yet, I have to wait until the body is adjusted correctly and the windshield has been check fit in place before I can do that.
Screws come out after bonding and the holes are filled in before paint.

Attachments

• 76822-righthanddoorhardware.jpg
    76822-righthanddoorhardware.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 1,259
I set the spider according to the dimensions in the build manual and bolted in the right hand door. These are first pass results without any tinkering to adjust clearances. Door is level all around the roof to within a mm or so. Gaps will have to be tuned a bit.If I can get this fit on the opposite side, which will need some tinkering, and the windshield fits, I'll be one happy camper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John, keep an eye out for New England GT40 guy happenings and come meet with us the next time we get togther to bench race and burn meat on someone's grill.

Attachments

• 76823-rightdoortoroof.jpg
    76823-rightdoortoroof.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,204
A few packages arrived last night.Front brakes have arrived. When I was having these designed I requested capacity for 5 screaming hot laps at Lime Rock.........
Brian

Attachments

• 78388-rightfrontbrake.JPG
    78388-rightfrontbrake.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 1,263
Mark Worthington is just around the corner and seeing his recent progress has fed the fires so to say. So after my suspension components came back from the brake guys, I put everything together and dropped her from the stands to push her into the light of day..... ahhhhhhh, instant traffic jam in the street, I can't wait to stop for gas!
The wiring is pretty much in, so we can spin the motor, the coolant system is about 80% there, need to dress the front of the motor a bit. My replacement headers came from the UK and I now have plenty of clearance to make things fit. Fist pass for mufflers will be two Magnaflow cans, if it's too loud, I'll stuff some reversionary cones in.
Next is getting the glass to fit and then setting the body, may do some rough blocking out, but winter is approaching and it will be too cold for any chemicals pretty soon. The cold months will be spent running brake lines, fuel system, instruments, fire supression, getting seats covered, etc. Would like to have it ready for the road sans paint by the time the snow melts in the spring.

Brian

Attachments

• body on closed.jpg
    body on closed.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,155
Brian, put some heat in that garage! Don't let a little cold slow you down! Looking forward to a full report at Mark's.

Brian, the car is looking great! Wouldn't it be great if we could both get on the road next summer? Maybe you should put it on a trailer and tow it down to my place on the 30th!

The onset of winter in New England really does make me feel melancholy. On one hand, there are a lot of beautiful days in September and October. On the other hand, you know the really cold weather is coming and you will be really limited in what you can do on your car.

While a bunch of us were over to Mark's house today admiring his handiwork, my daughter had a go at a little dessert with a "Gulf flair" for my birthday tomorrow........Good color scheme if I must say so

Brian

Attachments

• Gulf cake.jpg
    Gulf cake.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 786
Back