Vinyl Wrapping a GT40

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I am going to be building an RCR40 (should be arriving next month) and I am considering vinyl wrap instead of paint. Wondering if anyone else has gone this route. I have never done wrapping before, but based on numerous YouTube videos, it seems doable. Hoping for some guidance from those with prior experience.

Cheers, Randy

I have seen some very talented wrappers but you have many inside compound curves on the 40 that would be nearly impossible IMHO to get right. It would be cheaper if you are trying to save money to have Earl Shieb paint the car. I see people bragging about how their paint job was $25K. The original cars were painted in a freaking garage paint booth as the pictures show and the finishes more than fine. I think wrapping would leave you with a mess. My opinion just as I would not spend anything close to $25K on a kit car. Earl will paint your car for $1399 with base / clear!!

Neil

Supporter
I have seen some very talented wrappers but you have many inside compound curves on the 40 that would be nearly impossible IMHO to get right. It would be cheaper if you are trying to save money to have Earl Shieb paint the car. I see people bragging about how their paint job was $25K. The original cars were painted in a freaking garage paint booth as the pictures show and the finishes more than fine. I think wrapping would leave you with a mess. My opinion just as I would not spend anything close to $25K on a kit car. Earl will paint your car for $1399 with base / clear!!
I remember the days when ol' Earl intoned "I'll paint any car any color for $29.95".

Doug Dyar

Supporter
My car is painted, but I had the nose wrapped in flat black to replicate some of the original cars. It came out fantastic, and was much cheaper than paint. Still holding up after four years.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I was thinking about wrapping because I can easily change the color scheme or add graphic elements. As for cost, I have come to the realization that if saving money is important, then one shouldn’t build one of these cars. Not wasting money is a good goal, but scrimping will probably result in a disappointing outcome. That being said, as you noted, there are a lot of curves, but I might give it a try since it does not cost that much to experiment and if it doesn’t work, then I can just peel it off and go back to paint. All the prep work is the same.

Hi Randy,

One of our guys in the Club has had his wrapped, I was impressed with the final outcome, he said the guy who did it managed to overcome all the angles.

Attachments

• Pauls Car 1.jpg
    Pauls Car 1.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 115

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Hi Randy,

One of our guys in the Club has had his wrapped, I was impressed with the final outcome, he said the guy who did it managed to overcome all the angles.
Good to know. I have been watching YouTube how-to videos and it seems just about anything is possible, especially if there are some graphics such as strips that can be used to break up panels.

Randy Folsom

Supporter

Mine is done in light blue, Tesla was rainbow now light green metallic. Not paint, but good enough.
Good idea. I have been looking at vinyl paint as well. Could possibly use a combination of wrap and spray. I like the idea of being able to “try” a color scheme out before committing to paint. If I do go with paint, I will still probably use wrap on the nose and for graphics such as stripes, roundels, etc.

Back