Vss-ecm-stalling

That's awesome to hear, direct connection is all I need! Dan, what's the chance you happen to have a part number for the speed sensor you used?

That's awesome to hear, direct connection is all I need! Dan, what's the chance you happen to have a part number for the speed sensor you used?

I ordered ACDelco 92199862, for a 2010 Camaro SS. Not sure how I'll mount it until I have the car in front of me, but hoping to do something similar with using the axle shields which are due in Saturday.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I ordered ACDelco 92199862, for a 2010 Camaro SS. Not sure how I'll mount it until I have the car in front of me, but hoping to do something similar with using the axle shields which are due in Saturday.

That sensor might not work for you. It's for the ABS brake system and it's most likely a three wire active sensor.

That sensor might not work for you. It's for the ABS brake system and it's most likely a three wire active sensor.

It is a 2 wire and appear to be the same plug as the engine connector, best I can tell. When I'd search for a LS speed sensor, it'd always come up as ABS/speed sensor and in the price range. Still may not be right, but took a gamble and crossed my fingers and toes.

Mark B.

Supporter
I used this one: ACDELCO 213344
Works perfectly with my axle-mounted tone ring and GL LS7 ECM (2-wire connector)once I reprogrammed it to account for the right number of pulses.

Looking at plugs, Ken was spot on for it not being the right one! Was 2-wire, but definitely wrong sensor.

Thanks Mark, was able to cancel the Amazon order without issue and just ordered ACDELCO 213344, thanks!

Last edited:
Figured I'd update as I can tinker with the car now. For kicks, yesterday I had a few minutes so I plugged in the sensor, ziptied it and took it for a spin. Didn't really expect it to fix it, but figured worth a shot since I didn't have much time and wanted to go for a spin. Took the same path in neighborhood I have taken in the past, but this time 2x only had 1 issue with the surging and stalling where as before it would surge/stall a few times in only 1 lap. Since I'm not necessarily looking for accuracy, just any reading, I'll make a bracket similar to Mike's original pictures and see how that works for me and report back.

BTW it's hot as hell in the SLC with no AC. I wanted to make a few more laps yesterday, but was already drenched. Hope this registration will finish up quick so I can go get it charged and REALLY enjoy the car!

Last edited:
Trying things from easy to hard. Had an hour last night so made a bracket and mounted the VSS in hopes that maybe it'd be able to pick up the bolts. Made 4-5 laps around my neighborhood path and while it runs better than just being plugged in, still not 100%. It started to surge only once in those laps, least until I went to go back into the shop where it would did it twice. I suspect the VSS reading a bunch teeth on the reluctor ring, it'll recognize than I'm moving quicker and just ECM as needed.

As it is now, I feel more confident about making the trip to local inspection station without having it stall while in town. RPMs only surge when clutch is disengaged and coming to a stop. I was planning to get a video, but FauxPro was dead. I still need to put a SD card in my rear view mirror too.

VSS%201.jpg

VSS%205.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Your results will improve further Del if you can find someone with HPTuners to adjust the pulse count in the ECM. Looking at the picture I'd say that's not a reliable way of getting a pulse but I guess your results speak for them self. You could always try the two piece reluctor wheel shown on the previous page (used by Dan). You mentioned it in post #69. Dan did the same and cut it in half.

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/vss-ecm-stalling.41687/page-3#post-537424

Last edited:
Yes sir they do speak for themselves, I gave it a shot for kicks, lol.

I missed the bolt-on ring Dan used, thanks for the link. I think I'm going to go that way instead of the press fit. I need to find the shield's mounting bracket like Dan has to bolt that shield up anyways, so if I can use the shield to mount the VSS it'll save me a bracket to make.

The sensor Dan used is adjustable for height. Yours doesn't look adjustable. Getting it to fit with the shield will be more difficult. You could always buy the VDO sensor from Pacific Customs as well as the ring. Dan could give you the part number for the Freight Liner sensor he used as well.

https://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/...0020&Category_Code=autometer-senders-hardware

Thanks Ken! The ring Dan used is about half the price so will use it and attempt to find a way to mount my VSS unless it's too high up. I'll measure when I get home and see how it plays out. Thanks!

Anyone happen to have a part number for the driver's side bracket that attaches to the transaxle so I can attach the heat shield? I've searched and search with no luck at all finding this part. Barely found the shield on a n online microfiche.

Borrowed Cam's pic of said bracket.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 272
Went for a few laps around the neighborhood and as hoped, the SLC runs even better. I'd say the 16-tooth bolt on reluctor ring with the GM sensor made things 99% better. I'd expect if I used the press on DSS ring, it would be even better. Car feels easier to drive now as well, although it may be just me getting use to the car. The only time the RPMs surged and made it stall was at the very end when I pulled it into the shop at the end of the video below. No doubt with a tune and some time behind the wheel, all will be good in the world with this car and I'd bet even easier to drive.

Please don't hate on my shifting abilities, been a while since I owned a manual....about 20yrs, lol. I feel I need to be a little more aggressive with my shifting for smoother shifts. I freaking love my gated shifter, I can't imagine nothing less now.

Back